Generic Virus Thread

villakram

10 hours ago, bickster said:

Moderna claiming that tweaked version of their vaccine is effective against Brazil and South African variants

Also from earlier Biden Administraion backing the lifting of patent protections on COVID vaccines, stick that in your Meat Chicken

And the pandemic must be over, this was on page 2!

I've notice more and more stories recently about vaccine production being hampered by lack of raw materials/consumables coming out of USA who have forbidden the export of various such item though. 

• Like 1

Anyone expecting flights to treble in price tomorrow?

When this traffic light system comes in watch the greedy companies put all their flights up and taking advantage of everyone

2 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

When this traffic light system comes in watch the greedy companies put all their flights up and taking advantage of everyone

Yes, I’m sure the prices will soar. The Airlines will say that the pricing is automatic and dynamic based on the demand and they haven’t manually ramped the prices up.

8 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

So the announcement is tomorrow then? Do we know if these are the rules that will be in place and it’s just that the colour lists are to be determined? Also, there’s no mention of vaccines making any difference below... (questions not all directed at Dem)

_117906166_trafficlights_arrivals640-2x-

The key part of this is the whether they stick with the pre and post testing, even for green countries, and if they do, whether they can justify pushing the cost to the consumer. 

Otherwise you're adding a hefty tax to travel, that a lot of the population simply won't be able to afford.

And again, travel =/= holiday. A return to Poland for an adult can often be bought for less than 100 quid. With the PCR test, you're adding over 100% to the cost of the travel, just to see your parents.

• Like 1

I’d be concerned about insurance, do companies offer policies inclusive of the potential costs associated with catching Covid whilst abroad?

I have a feeling people will travel without giving this a thought and we’ll be see stories in the press about people stranded with bills they can’t pay.

Just now, StefanAVFC said:

And again, travel =/= holiday. A return to Poland for an adult can often be bought for less than 100 quid. With the PCR test, you're adding over 100% to the cost of the travel, just to see your parents.

Indeed. Overseas holidays are nice, but not essential, and those of us who enjoyed the golden age of bucket prices (I once flew to Biarritz for 85p each way) are well in credit anyway. And much work-related travel is unnecessary in the internet age. But travelling to see family I can sympathise with. 

1 hour ago, sidcow said:

I've notice more and more stories recently about vaccine production being hampered by lack of raw materials/consumables coming out of USA who have forbidden the export of various such item though. 

This, but not only the USA. A lot of countries have placed either bans or significant restrictions on raw materials or products needed in the vaccine supply chain.

As I said before on this, what's needed is a global summit that leads to global co-operation.

• Like 1

£120 for the test is nothing but a tax on travel.

The tests themselves must cost government pennies. If they really want to test people, make travellers take a 30min test at a site where it can be verified by NHS, like a pharmacy or at the GP. Do this within 24/48 hours of travel.

If they want to be extra vigilant, open testing hubs at airports so you can be tested on the day of travel too. 

It seems like a much easier solution than £120 PCR test. 

• Like 1

Randox tests have been reduced to “only” £60 now, so yeah with tests before and after departure it’s looking like “only” about a 100% tax on my planned trip - although that would be higher if my flight prices didn’t include a quite pricey addition of 20kg of luggage to bring back.

Im thinking Poland will be on the amber list until 7th of June (when I’m supposed to fly back), so I’d have to self isolate at my parent’s house and go for a test the day before I’m supposed to leave. Someone else will have to fetch the battered chips.

So let’s discuss how absurd it would be for me to have to stay at home self isolating, except to leave to take a test the day before leaving anyway. Sure that’s going to help prevent spreading infection, by increasing my number of potential contacts.

Edited by fightoffyour

1 hour ago, Genie said:

Yes, I’m sure the prices will soar. The Airlines will say that the pricing is automatic and dynamic based on the demand and they haven’t manually ramped the prices up.

They will be taking advantage. No question. I want to go Cyprus to see my dad but it will be unlikely as i expect the prices will be ridiculous.

If anything it will be a year in the uk which isnt the end of the world 

17 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

They will be taking advantage. No question. I want to go Cyprus to see my dad but it will be unlikely as i expect the prices will be ridiculous.

If anything it will be a year in the uk which isnt the end of the world 

I would like to go see my parents in Brum and I have 2 Grandchildren in Australia. 

I wont be ripped off by them though,  I will wait same as you.

The Business travel will probably never get back to how it was with the need to fly for business so clearly proved to be unneeded.  They will make everyone else pay for this forever.

54 minutes ago, HanoiVillan said:

Correct, it's a tax, the purpose of which is to discourage the volume of travellers.

29 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

This 👏

So it’s ok to say to the poor that they can’t travel during a crisis, only the rich can?

• Like 1

Just heard on the news on the radio that TUI will offer to pay for the tests, for 20 quid they'll cover all of the tests needed to travel to/from green AND amber countries.

Good news, **** the government for imposing such a ridiculous cost onto the consumer. 

Edited by StefanAVFC
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, Ingram85 said:

So it’s ok to say to the poor that they can’t travel during a crisis, only the rich can?

Although I agree with the sentiment of your post (hence the like), I don't think Hanoi or Dem were saying that it's ok, just that that's likely what the govt *spit* are going for.

• Like 1

Â