Generic Virus Thread

villakram

1 minute ago, sidcow said:

I think what @Genie is getting at, is what is this mysterious information that they have provided to you which would enable you to identify a booking, yet the booking doesn't exist.

I assume you mean they have provided an accurate address and time (which they normally don't by the sound of it) but you had no booking for that address at that time? 

Ah, I thought “being able to identify a booking” meant identifying an actual booking that existed.

Like when I speak to a service provider and give them enough information to identify my account in their system.

Not just enough information to identify a booking IF it had existed, which in this case it didn’t.

I knew I must have been missing something.

1 minute ago, OutByEaster? said:

I noticed on the boards at the Man City - Chelsea game that Etihad boldly claim that all of their flight crews have been vaccinated.

I didn't think that sort of queue jumping was allowed?

Allowed where? The UAE?

3 minutes ago, bickster said:

Allowed where? The UAE?

Anywhere really, I just hadn't considered that the vaccine's were commercially available.

Or indeed that Etihad would recruit outside of English speaking countries to be honest.

3 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

Anywhere really, I just hadn't considered that the vaccine's were commercially available.

Or indeed that Etihad would recruit outside of English speaking countries to be honest.

Owned by the UAE Government / Sheik Al Nahyan, It can do what the hell it likes I guess. Even European Crew would only have to touchdown in the UAE to get the jab, I suppose

• Like 1

11 hours ago, OutByEaster? said:

I have a friend who works at Jaguar/Land rover and they've been vaccinated through work. 

I didn't realise either but it seems like the vaccine is commercially available. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, DCJonah said:

I have a friend who works at Jaguar/Land rover and they've been vaccinated through work. 

I didn't realise either but it seems like the vaccine is commercially available. 

This is true, I know a lot of people that have been vaccinated at LR Solihull. 
I’m not sure if they are commercially available, or if a deal has been struck for big employers with workers in big factories to get a delivery of the NHS vaccines.

JLR has had onsite testing for its staff for a long time as part of NHS trials.

Edited by Genie
  • Like 1

BBC

French President Emmanuel Macron has called on the US to drop its restrictions on the export of Covid-19 vaccines and ingredients.

His words came as a divide emerged between parts of Europe and the US over how best to increase global vaccine production.

The EU who are blocking exports of their vaccines to non-EU countries are calling on the US to stop blocking exports to them.

12 hours ago, Genie said:

BBC

The EU who are blocking exports of their vaccines to non-EU countries are calling on the US to stop blocking exports to them.

Unlike the UK and the US the EU have sent millions of vaccine doses to other countries all over the world (including millions being sent from the EU to the UK). 

https://fullfact.org/online/vaccine-export-eu/

8 hours ago, LondonLax said:

Unlike the UK and the US the EU have sent millions of vaccine doses to other countries all over the world (including millions being sent from the EU to the UK). 

https://fullfact.org/online/vaccine-export-eu/

Good points but I think there’s a bit more to it.

The EU has allowed the export of some of the vaccines purchased/owned by other nations, whilst blocking some others (after making laws to allow them to keep other countries purchases/supplies). The UK allowed India to keep several million doses that were ordered by us but produced in India.

The EU isn’t giving away some of its own supply, just releasing some of the supply bought and owned by other nations but produced in EU countries. Whilst the UK might not have exported any, they are handing over part of their supply like the 5 million does (I think) in India.

1 hour ago, Genie said:

Good points but I think there’s a bit more to it.

The EU has allowed the export of some of the vaccines purchased/owned by other nations, whilst blocking some others (after making laws to allow them to keep other countries purchases/supplies). The UK allowed India to keep several million doses that were ordered by us but produced in India.

The EU isn’t giving away some of its own supply, just releasing some of the supply bought and owned by other nations but produced in EU countries. Whilst the UK might not have exported any, they are handing over part of their supply like the 5 million does (I think) in India.

As far as I know the only export from the EU that was blocked was when Italy took 250,000 doses that were meant for Australia. 

To be honest, as an Australian myself, I don’t begrudge Italy keeping that batch. It will have saved people’s lives there where as Australians are not at threat from COVID. 

4 minutes ago, LondonLax said:

As far as I know the only export from the EU that was blocked was when Italy took 250,000 doses that were meant for Australia. 

To be honest, as an Australian myself, I don’t begrudge Italy keeping that batch. It will have saved people’s lives there where as Australians are not at threat from COVID. 

I agree.

Its just that the claim that the EU is exporting vaccines around the world portraying themselves as hero’s (and the UK as Villains) is not the full story.

All they have done is accept that customer orders from outside of the EU need to be fulfilled (extremely reluctantly). They’ve not shipped any of their own orders to less rich nations as far as I am aware which is what the claim is hinting at.

1 hour ago, Genie said:

A friend of mine works in a hospital in Bermuda just posted this on facebook

8-FBFCA80-0-B68-411-D-BB90-6015718-DFECE

Wow, that really shows the difference vaccines make. Quick, someone show it to Boris. 

Meanwhile, because of the surge in infections in Nepal, China says it's setting up a dividing line at the summit of Everest in order to separate climbers from the two countries, according to the country's state media.

But critics have questioned how the line would be enforced as the summit of Everest is about the size of a dining table.

BBC

• Haha 1

Â