Generic Virus Thread

villakram

2 minutes ago, Mister_a said:

Propoganda, lol.

propaganda

/prɒpəˈɡandə/

noun

noun: propaganda; noun: Propaganda

information, especially of a biased or misleading nature, used to promote a political cause or point of view.

Like I said, I have all day

4 hours ago, Danwichmann said:

I am angry that the west has ordered millions more vaccines than it needs and countries that are in absolute crisis can't get any. 

In all fairness most of the over ordering is for vaccines that arent even available yet.  They are using up every vaccine they can get pretty as soon as they can get it (other than USA who have 60m of AstraZeneca in stock and not even approved it yet).

As soon as the UK have vaccinated their remaining orders will go to Covax I believe.  So actually over ordering might actually end up with more vaccines going into Covax than they might actually be able to purchase with whatever cash donations nations might give. 

The over ordering was them just buying various vaccines as a way of laying off the risk of 1) which vaccines were out first and 2) which ones worked. 

It seems they will easily have enough to do what needs to be done by the end of July so I think the UK will just donate the over supply after that. 

• Like 1

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/live/uk-56977099

Future UK lockdowns unlikely, Prof Ferguson says

Future lockdowns in the UK are unlikely, a scientist whose modelling led to the first lockdown tells the BBC.

Prof Neil Ferguson says the possibility of a further lockdown can't be completely ruled out because of the "worst case scenario" of a new variant emerging that evades the current vaccines.

In this scenario, it is possible restrictions could be needed again to boost people's immunity to the virus, for example with tweaked vaccines.

He says: "Do I think it's likely to happen? No I don't. I think we are much more likely to be on a steady course now out of this pandemic, at least in this country."

Ferguson says the data on falling covid cases, hospitalisations and deaths is very encouraging.

"With the one caveat that we need to keep to watching those variants carefully and get more data on them, I am actually feeling very optimistic and that optimism has gradually increased as the last three months have unfolded, from a terrible situation we were in in January to a remarkably good situation now."

And he says life will begin to return to normal by e arly summer.

Edited by sidcow

4 minutes ago, sidcow said:

In all fairness most of the over ordering is for vaccines that arent even available yet.  They are using up every vaccine they can get pretty as soon as they can get it (other than USA who have 60m of AstraZeneca in stock and not even approved it yet).

As soon as the UK have vaccinated their remaining orders will go to Covax I believe.  So actually over ordering might actually end up with more vaccines going into Covax than they might actually be able to purchase with whatever cash donations nations might give. 

The over ordering was them just buying various vaccines as a way of laying off the risk of 1) which vaccines were out first and 2) which ones worked. 

It seems they will easily have enough to do what needs to be done by the end of July so I think the UK will just donate the over supply after that. 

I also assume vaccination will be an annual event so it’ll all start again in January and we (UK) will need another 120m doses for 2022. 

17 minutes ago, Genie said:

I also assume vaccination will be an annual event so it’ll all start again in January and we (UK) will need another 120m doses for 2022. 

We've already made new separate arrangements with Pfizer for an Autumn bootster jab and also signed a deal with another company to develop brand new vaccines against new variants with a company called CureVac. 

The new UK Vaccine Manufacturing and Research Centre is up and running by July which enables us to research new vaccines and manufacture enough doses for the whole population.  https://www.vmicuk.com

I think those recorded as ordered earlier this year/late last year will not be needed for boosters. 

Edited by sidcow
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Genie said:

It won’t be a double dose again nor will it likely be for the whole population. Unless there’s a vicious new strain, any boosters will probably just be given to those who need flu jabs and at the same time.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, sidcow said:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/live/uk-56977099

Future UK lockdowns unlikely, Prof Ferguson says

You should hang your head in shame for posting anything that incompetent clown states. That he still has a job is a disgrace given the ineptitude displayed during the early days of the pandemic and says all we need to know about accountability among the UK upper classes.

I'm suprised about just how far behind some vaccine manufacturers are.  They are looking for volunteers currently for the Valneva vaccine for an extended trial. 

We're now 6 months on from AstraZeneca and Pvizer being approved.  I know they were developed at record speed but you would think they were all working with a similar kind of urgency. 

It's presumably going to be at least a couple more months before any approval is given so its hard to see it having any involvement in the UK rollout, maybe it will catch the tail end of Europe. 

I would just have thought as a total layman that there wouldn't be such an enormous difference between the speed of development between companies. 

1 minute ago, sidcow said:

I'm suprised about just how far behind some vaccine manufacturers are.  They are looking for volunteers currently for the Valneva vaccine for an extended trial. 

We're now 6 months on from AstraZeneca and Pvizer being approved.  I know they were developed at record speed but you would think they were all working with a similar kind of urgency. 

It's presumably going to be at least a couple more months before any approval is given so its hard to see it having any involvement in the UK rollout, maybe it will catch the tail end of Europe. 

I would just have thought as a total layman that there wouldn't be such an enormous difference between the speed of development between companies. 

Some vaccines in development are more long term solutions though aren't they? Next Gen if you like. They may not be getting involved in any current roll out but may prove more effetive in the long term.

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, bickster said:

Some vaccines in development are more long term solutions though aren't they? Next Gen if you like. They may not be getting involved in any current roll out but may prove more effetive in the long term.

Maybe but the report I saw didn't mention eg SA or Brazil strain, which you would think they would. 

The Times so unfortunately only the wealthy will be able to read it. 

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/third-covid-vaccine-for-over-50s-before-winter-jhpj57g0d

Third Covid vaccine for over-50s before winter

A third jab is to be offered to everyone over 50 in the autumn in an attempt to eradicate the threat from Covid-19 entirely by Christmas, The Times has been told.

Trials of two options are under way, supervised by Chris Whitty, the chief medical officer for England.

The first involves vaccines specifically modified to tackle new variants. The second is for a third shot of one of the three versions already in use: Pfizer-BioNTech, Oxford-AstraZeneca or Moderna. While the approved vaccines successfully tackle the Kent variant, the amount of protection they offer against others, such as that from South Africa, is weaker.

The Times has been told that early findings from the trials have raised government hopes that the two approaches will be able......... 

Moderna claiming that tweaked version of their vaccine is effective against Brazil and South African variants

Also from earlier Biden Administraion backing the lifting of patent protections on COVID vaccines, stick that in your Meat Chicken

And the pandemic must be over, this was on page 2!

• Like 1

BBC

UK travellers returning from "red list" countries are flying home via Turkey to avoid hefty hotel quarantine fees.

Passengers are breaking their journey in Istanbul, and staying in hotels there for a fraction of the cost they would have to pay in Britain.

Travellers from countries on the red list would otherwise face bills of up to £1,750-per-person to isolate in a hotel if they flew to the UK directly.

Those using the route must still quarantine at home once back in the UK.

One hotel worker in Istanbul said he had seen British nationals flying in from Pakistan, India and Bangladesh - which are all on the UK's red list.

The BBC has also spoken to travellers returning from Pakistan to the UK, many of whom were attending weddings or funerals and say they couldn't afford the cost of quarantining once the rules changed.

As long as they isolate at home for 10 days after returning from a non-red list country, they are not breaking the UK government's Covid rules

1 hour ago, bickster said:

Moderna claiming that tweaked version of their vaccine is effective against Brazil and South African variants

Also from earlier Biden Administraion backing the lifting of patent protections on COVID vaccines, stick that in your Meat Chicken

And the pandemic must be over, this was on page 2!

Came here to post about USA patent protections. That's huge. Hopefully they can get it sorted quickly.

• Like 1

Â