Generic Virus Thread

villakram

1 minute ago, KenjiOgiwara said:

I think everyone here are open to take the Pfizer one. Everyone knows the importance of vaccines bar a small crazy community, but for vaccines the reputation of being safe really is the alpha and omega.

Which brings me back to my original point of how nonsensical it is. 

It's pretty weird Germany haven't developed their own vaccine isn't it? Would have thought some German/French coop would have nailed it if they wanted too. GSK are well known for producing vaccines afaik, but Sanofi, Bayer, Merck, Roche etc. they aren't exactly incompetent either? 

7 minutes ago, sidcow said:

Can you not go take a test to get the all clear? 

I was really hoping to go to a pub car park this weekend.  

Edited by Seat68
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, mjmooney said:

I think I've sussed out the psychology of vaccine reluctance. 

OK, one in a million chance of dying from a blood clot, as against one in a hundred of dying from covid. No brainer, right? 

But I think it's the fact that the jab is deliberately administered by a human being, after you've made the conscious decision to let them do it. Low risk, yes, but if you fall unlucky, it's somebody's fault (mainly your own). You can't say it was just 'an act of God' like covid - a random risk that (beyond a few precautions) ultimately cannot be avoided, the sort of thing that we accept in daily life. 

It's completely irrational, but that's homo 'sapiens' for you. 

It's exactly the same logic that makes people scared of flying, vs not being scared of driving.

Control vs complete lack of control.

• Like 1

Hold on. The nhs covid app doesnt have any of my personal details. Once you delete the app and reinstall it forgets it told you to self isolate. Which clowns created this app. 

• Haha 2

3 minutes ago, Seat68 said:

Hold on. The nhs covid app doesnt have any of my personal details. Once you delete the app and reinstall it forgets it told you to self isolate. Which clowns created this app. 

I can't tell you that unless you are a Tory party donor.

• Haha 3

1 hour ago, KenjiOgiwara said:

It's pretty weird Germany haven't developed their own vaccine isn't it? Would have thought some German/French coop would have nailed it if they wanted too. GSK are well known for producing vaccines afaik, but Sanofi, Bayer, Merck, Roche etc. they aren't exactly incompetent either? 

GSK and Sanofi have their own vaccine, but it's still in testing, and isn't due out until the end of 2021

16 minutes ago, StefanAVFC said:

It's exactly the same logic that makes people scared of flying, vs not being scared of driving.

Control vs complete lack of control.

Incorrectly perceived control vs complete lack of control is the reality.

Virtually every driver believes they are totally safe if they drive ‘safely’. I had a work colleague who was wiped out when a HGV he was alongside on the motorway had a blowout. No control for him there.

1 hour ago, mjmooney said:

I think I've sussed out the psychology of vaccine reluctance. 

OK, one in a million chance of dying from a blood clot, as against one in a hundred of dying from covid. No brainer, right? 

But I think it's the fact that the jab is deliberately administered by a human being, after you've made the conscious decision to let them do it. Low risk, yes, but if you fall unlucky, it's somebody's fault (mainly your own). You can't say it was just 'an act of God' like covid - a random risk that (beyond a few precautions) ultimately cannot be avoided, the sort of thing that we accept in daily life. 

It's completely irrational, but that's homo 'sapiens' for you. 

It's exactly that. It's  literally the trolley problem in real life. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, KenjiOgiwara said:

I think everyone here are open to take the Pfizer one. Everyone knows the importance of vaccines bar a small crazy community, but for vaccines the reputation of being safe really is the alpha and omega.

That seems like treading water whilst waiting for a bigger life boat in case the sea is too rough for the first lifeboat.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, Seat68 said:

I know some people that did a hell of a lot of work at the start, then the government just told them to stop. That might give you some idea of how it was developed

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Dante_Lockhart said:

I'm still in the not having the jab camp.

It's not compulsary and shouldn't be - but I would just say to you to consider the people who cannot have the jab due to being immunosuppressed - there are many of them out there, of all ages, and if after you look at the stats you feel your personal risk from the jab is too great and it's your safety over theirs, then there's not much else to say.  

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, bickster said:

Most is doing some heavy lifting there

Imagine if the headline read 1 in 5 positive rapid tests are wrong

I don't follow how they got to the conclusion that 'there had been concerns that many would have to self-isolate needlessly, but this data suggests these fears may be unfounded' if nearly 20% of the tests returned an incorrect result. Clearly lots of people had to self-isolate needlessly (20% of a very large number is still a large number)?

(This is separate to the debate about whether that cost is proportional to the benefit)

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, brommy said:

That seems like treading water whilst waiting for a bigger life boat in case the sea is too rough for the first lifeboat.

More like treading water cause the first life boat had a mental murderer rowing it.

• Haha 1

Â