Generic Virus Thread

villakram

4 minutes ago, sharkyvilla said:

Yet somehow, what pisses me off the most is the use of Fahrenheit.

Got to use language their readership will understand.  Put it in centigrade and they might as well just write "yesterday temperatures reached ghtdvbgdeat gfthbgdrt @#£& 😘🦁🎠🕹️

• Haha 3

30 minutes ago, sharkyvilla said:

If they printed its going to be 25 degrees Celsius tomorrow the majority of readers would go out the next morning with a scarf, gloves, hat and overcoat on

• Haha 1

I may have missed it, but have the government shared any charts yet showing the impact of vaccines on hospital admissions and deaths?

Not just the overall downward trend, but those unfortunate to need hospital treatment being predominantly unvaccinated (younger) people? 

35 minutes ago, Genie said:

I may have missed it, but have the government shared any charts yet showing the impact of vaccines on hospital admissions and deaths?

Not just the overall downward trend, but those unfortunate to need hospital treatment being predominantly unvaccinated (younger) people? 

ICU occupancy is a reliable metric. Hospital capacity less so, as the pandemic has evolved and as we are now coming to grips with it, people who are less sickly will be admitted, where the previous crisis nature of things required a higher bar. 

Edited by villakram
  • Like 1

22 minutes ago, villakram said:

ICU occupancy is a reliable metric. Hospital capacity less so, as the pandemic has evolved and as we are now coming to grips with it, people who are less sickly will be admitted, where the previous crisis nature of things required a higher bar. 

Hospital capacity is elastic.

As there are less cases, they will re mothball wards that had previously been closed due to a lack of political desire to truly tackle waiting lists.

• Like 1

It was bound to happen at some point, but yesterday was the first day the number of second doses given exceeded the number of first doses given. Still nearly half a million doses in one day.

I assume this is a practical indication that second doses within 12 weeks of the first dose will be a priority over first doses for those not in the 9 most vulnerable groups.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, sharkyvilla said:

Apparently it's common to use Fahrenheit when it's hot and Centigrade when cold because the higher/lower numbers seem more extreme in the headlines. I don't think this is a "we are British we must use this archaic Dutch system".

I might give them a pass on this one as long as when it's cold they use Centigrade.

I'd much rather they just ditched the Fahrenheit system overall though.

4 hours ago, Genie said:

I've seen it mentioned in reports that that is the case but not seen any actual statistics.

What the daily statistics show

https://coronavirus.data.gov.uk/

is that new cases are starting to flatline but hospital admissions remain pretty low so I guess it means quite a lot of confirmed cases are not getting ill enough to go to hospital which probably implies they are younger people, or I suppose vaccinated people who catch it don't get as ill. 

• Thanks 1

They've still done 755,000 first doses in the first 3 days of this week so hopefully should still be getting 1 - 1.5m first doses done each week which still means good progress.  Maybe when Moderna comes in they can get to 2m+ per week as those are all going to be first time jabs. 

Almost third of UK Covid hospital patients readmitted within four months

Nearly a third of people who have been in hospital suffering from Covid-19 are readmitted for further treatment within four months of being discharged, and one in eight of patients dies in the same period, doctors have found.

The striking long-term impact of the disease has prompted doctors to call for ongoing tests and monitoring of former coronavirus patients to detect early signs of organ damage and other complications caused by the virus.

While Covid is widely known to cause serious respiratory problems, the virus can also infect and damage other organs such as the heart, liver and kidneys.

Researchers at University College London, the Office for National Statistics, and the University of Leicester, compared medical records of nearly 48,000 people who had had hospital treatment for Covid and had been discharged by 31 August 2020, with records from a matched control group of people in the general population.

The records were used to track rates of readmission, of deaths, and of diagnoses for a range of respiratory, heart, kidney, liver and metabolic diseases, such as diabetes.

After an average follow-up time of 140 days, nearly a third of the Covid patients who had been discharged from hospital had been readmitted and about one in eight had died, rates considerably higher than seen in the control group.

...more

• Sad 2

16 hours ago, Genie said:

The Guardian has the graphs you are looking for.  Its really good for that.

• Like 1

While I place the majority of blame on our inept and insidious government, it doesn’t help matters when people don’t even know what the Covid symptoms are, a full year into the global pandemic

No wonder the UK is one of the worst affected countries in the world: 

Sky News Link

Just half of people in the UK are able to correctly identify the main symptoms of COVID-19, despite being in the grip of the pandemic for more than a year, a major study has found.

It also suggested fewer than one in five people (18%) in the UK get tested if they have COVID-19 symptoms, and only 43% stuck to self-isolation rules.

• Like 1

Â