Generic Virus Thread

villakram

52 minutes ago, Follyfoot said:

Although it is not yet known whether the jab will stop you catching and passing on the virus it is expected to reduce the risk. Is that not important to you?

Good news on that I posted yesterday. See here:

Pfizer and Moderna jabs reduce *transmission*, not infection, by roughly 90%, and there's no reason to think AZ will be much different.

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, AVFCDAN said:

That’s a lot of fantastic news, we really could be out of this mess before winter hits.

A packed Villa Park, oh the thought (lots of things more important but what a thought regardless) 

43 minutes ago, AVFCDAN said:

That’s a lot of fantastic news, we really could be out of this mess before winter hits.

As long as people take the frippin vaccine.

on fire GIF

1 hour ago, HanoiVillan said:

Good news on that I posted yesterday. See here:

Pfizer and Moderna jabs reduce *transmission*, not infection, by roughly 90%, and there's no reason to think AZ will be much different.

I'm sure it was proven months ago that AZ also greatly reduces transmission

• Like 2

More on preventing transmission 

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-56514470

Covid jab probably does protect those around you

The Covid-19 vaccine blocks pretty much all cases of serious illness - but the government has been much more cautious about saying whether it stops people carrying the virus and infecting others.

Until evidence had built up from lots of people being vaccinated, scientists could not say for sure if the jab would stop transmission - and there was concern those vaccinated might stop taking precautions, potentially leading to a rise in infections.

But with some now refusing the vaccine in the belief it will not stop them passing on the virus, is this caution becoming counterproductive?

In fact it is becoming increasingly clear the jab is a very big step towards protecting those around you - particularly people who are vulnerable, including the elderly and those with care needs such as learning disabilities or mental illness.

A growing body of real-world evidence suggests it stops a big chunk of people catching the virus at all - if you don't get infected in the first place, you cannot infect other people.

Regular testing of participants in the Oxford-AstraZeneca vaccine trials, with or without symptoms, found positive tests fell by more than half.

And this suggested "the potential for a substantial reduction in transmission", the team reviewing the trial results said.

The Pfizer-BioNTech trial participants, meanwhile, were tested only if they had symptoms.

But a later study of 40,000 health workers in England suggested one Pfizer-BioNTech dose cut the risk of infection - symptomatic or otherwise - by 70%, and two doses by 85%.

People living with vaccinated NHS staff in Scotland were considerably less likely to catch the virus than those living with unvaccinated health workers, providing direct evidence the jab can protect others.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Ingram85 said:

Just had my second Pfizer jab at QE a few minutes ago. It was much faster than the first one and I felt nothing compared to first time around. Just in the weird waiting room now for 15 minutes. So proud of the staff of the NHS. 

You can be as proud as you like mate, I think you’ll find it’s the government’s vaccination programme.

They had to make it the government vaccination after you lot **** up track n trace.

• Haha 4

Even if vaccines don't reduce transmission, the fact that they reduce the severity of symptoms means that when (not if) the opening up process causes a third wave, it won't be lethal, and it won't swamp the hospitals. In other words, it's finally time to let herd immunity take its course. This time it will work to our advantage, without the carnage that it would have caused pre-vaccination. 

Edited by mjmooney
  • Like 1

Better hope you don't have developing breast cancer when you get the vaccine. Another "rare" side effect/consequence.

https://www.freep.com/story/news/2021/03/30/mammogram-covid-19-vaccine-delay/7011332002/

"Soon after the Pfizer/BioNTech and Moderna COVID-19 vaccines came to market, doctors began to notice something different in the mammogram images of a small fraction of women who'd recently gotten their shots: enlarged lymph nodes.  

Swollen lymph nodes under one arm can be a rare sign of breast cancer, and when doctors find that, they usually order more testing, and potentially a biopsy to rule out cancer, said Dr. Kimberly Garver, the director of breast imaging at the University of Michigan.

However, in these women, the lymph node swelling was a normal immune response to the vaccines, and wasn't actually cancer.

It led the Society of Breast Imaging to issue a recommendation that women should consider scheduling their mammograms four to six weeks after the second dose of a COVID-19 vaccine to avoid abnormal mammogram screenings and unnecessary tests."

• Confused 1

4 hours ago, sidcow said:

But with some now refusing the vaccine in the belief it will not stop them passing on the virus, is this caution becoming counterproductive?

I very much doubt that this is a major reason for low vaccine uptake. Not once have I ever heard or seen anyone with the opinion that they aren't getting the vaccine because it won't stop them passing it on.

I've seen plenty of ludicrous opinions as to why people aren't getting vaccinated, that one has never cropped up

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, bickster said:

I very much doubt that this is a major reason for low vaccine uptake. Not once have I ever heard or seen anyone with the opinion that they aren't getting the vaccine because it won't stop them passing it on.

I've seen plenty of ludicrous opinions as to why people aren't getting vaccinated, that one has never cropped up

Not my opinion, just what was in the report. 

Â