Generic Virus Thread

villakram

2 hours ago, mjmooney said:

Even if vaccines don't reduce transmission, the fact that they reduce the severity of symptoms means that when (not if) the opening up process causes a third wave, it won't be lethal, and it won't swamp the hospitals. In other words, it's finally time to let herd immunity take its course. This time it will work to our advantage, without tge carnage that it would have caused pre-vaccination. 

They've already identified that less older, vaccinated people are being admitted to hospital, the admissions are now in younger people who haven't been jabbed yet. 

2 hours ago, villakram said:

Better hope you don't have developing breast cancer when you get the vaccine. Another "rare" side effect/consequence.

https://www.freep.com/story/news/2021/03/30/mammogram-covid-19-vaccine-delay/7011332002/

"Soon after the Pfizer/BioNTech and Moderna COVID-19 vaccines came to market, doctors began to notice something different in the mammogram images of a small fraction of women who'd recently gotten their shots: enlarged lymph nodes.  

Swollen lymph nodes under one arm can be a rare sign of breast cancer, and when doctors find that, they usually order more testing, and potentially a biopsy to rule out cancer, said Dr. Kimberly Garver, the director of breast imaging at the University of Michigan.

However, in these women, the lymph node swelling was a normal immune response to the vaccines, and wasn't actually cancer.

It led the Society of Breast Imaging to issue a recommendation that women should consider scheduling their mammograms four to six weeks after the second dose of a COVID-19 vaccine to avoid abnormal mammogram screenings and unnecessary tests."

This isn't anything to do with developing breast cancer at all. Swollen lymph nodes will be a natural immune response to any vaccine. It won't affect developing or detecting breast cancer. This is pretty much the definition of a non-story.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Genie said:

Good on 'em.

2 hours ago, mjmooney said:

Even if vaccines don't reduce transmission, the fact that they reduce the severity of symptoms means that when (not if) the opening up process causes a third wave, it won't be lethal, and it won't swamp the hospitals. In other words, it's finally time to let herd immunity take its course. This time it will work to our advantage, without tge carnage that it would have caused pre-vaccination. 

We are pretty close to herd immunity I think (though important to say of course that 'herd immunity', which is a terrible term, is not an on-off switch). Today's news:

Note that the 14th March was two weeks ago. There have been 6.2 million first dose jabs since then, so that percentage will be much higher now and over the next couple of weeks. Will probably be in the mid 60's or even 70% by the time we do the next phase of reopening in three weeks, at which time to be honest we really do need to be getting into a national conversation about whether the speed of this is still appropriate.

• Like 3

44 minutes ago, HanoiVillan said:

We are pretty close to herd immunity I think (though important to say of course that 'herd immunity', which is a terrible term, is not an on-off switch). Today's news:

3jagvq.jpg

1 minute ago, Davkaus said:

I was topless in my swim shorts with a beer helmet full of imperial stout. Don't think I made the video.

I was looking for a discarded 6-pack of octopus and oatmeal porter, but couldn't see it on first glance! 

qS1GmG0.jpg

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, villakram said:

Better hope you don't have developing breast cancer when you get the vaccine. Another "rare" side effect/consequence.

https://www.freep.com/story/news/2021/03/30/mammogram-covid-19-vaccine-delay/7011332002/

"Soon after the Pfizer/BioNTech and Moderna COVID-19 vaccines came to market, doctors began to notice something different in the mammogram images of a small fraction of women who'd recently gotten their shots: enlarged lymph nodes.  

Swollen lymph nodes under one arm can be a rare sign of breast cancer, and when doctors find that, they usually order more testing, and potentially a biopsy to rule out cancer, said Dr. Kimberly Garver, the director of breast imaging at the University of Michigan.

However, in these women, the lymph node swelling was a normal immune response to the vaccines, and wasn't actually cancer.

It led the Society of Breast Imaging to issue a recommendation that women should consider scheduling their mammograms four to six weeks after the second dose of a COVID-19 vaccine to avoid abnormal mammogram screenings and unnecessary tests."

That sounds pretty minor to me

• Like 2

The Daily Mail front page manages to capture most of their current preoccupations I see:

Exwi4UvXEAYitcP?format=jpg&name=large

All you need:

• something about the weather
  • a nicely foreshortened-with-a-telephoto-lens photo of crowds having fun for the wowsers to mutter about
  • a photo of a young woman showing a classy bit of sideboob
  • an announcement that not only is there no institutional racism in the UK, but in fact race relations in this country are a model to the world

Don't forget to #buyapaper everyone so that they can keep paying photographers to take tricksy photos of you sitting in the park and shame you, we wouldn't them to run out of money for this vital public service now would we.

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

That sounds pretty minor to me

I can’t imagine most doctors seeing enlarged lymph nodes, checking the medical records show a recent vaccination and deciding “**** it it’s probably that best not check.”

Meeting a friend and his wife in their garden tomorrow night. Going to take a lateral flow test prior and due to their work they take them every day. Me and my wife have had our first jabs, my mate has had both jabs and my male friend is young and has been taking care with distance and masks. On balance I may hug them. 

• Like 3

8 hours ago, HanoiVillan said:

The Daily Mail front page manages to capture most of their current preoccupations I see:

Exwi4UvXEAYitcP?format=jpg&name=large

All you need:

• something about the weather
  • a nicely foreshortened-with-a-telephoto-lens photo of crowds having fun for the wowsers to mutter about
  • a photo of a young woman showing a classy bit of sideboob
  • an announcement that not only is there no institutional racism in the UK, but in fact race relations in this country are a model to the world

Don't forget to #buyapaper everyone so that they can keep paying photographers to take tricksy photos of you sitting in the park and shame you, we wouldn't them to run out of money for this vital public service now would we.

Much prefer the old Star standard

Phew what a scorcher

A picture of the Sun in a floopy hat

Pictures from Bournemouth beach

Young ladies ‘frolicking’ in the surf

Lucious Lucy Pinder ‘ girl of the thrillenium’

Text maniacs  

Edited by Follyfoot
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Seat68 said:

Meeting a friend and his wife in their garden tomorrow night. Going to take a lateral flow test prior and due to their work they take them every day. Me and my wife have had our first jabs, my mate has had both jabs and my male friend is young and has been taking care with distance and masks. On balance I may hug them. 

Is it just me that read this and thought - SWINGERS!

• Haha 1

25 minutes ago, bickster said:

Is it just me that read this and thought - SWINGERS!

Not going to lie, they own a sex toilet, i.e a jacuzzi and they have invited us round to use it in the past. Sod that. That said if they were swingers, they would be the ones getting the worst part of the deal. 

Â