Generic Virus Thread

villakram

1 hour ago, Seat68 said:

My daughter had hers last week, 32 years old. We have assumed that she was done this early was due to her having depression and on medication for that. No other reason. 

14 minutes ago, NurembergVillan said:

I'm 42 with depression and medication, and ongoing medication for IBS, and nobody has offered me a prick.

@Seat68was your daughter offered this by her GP? The reason I ask is because I think GPs are treating this in a completely different way to the National Rollout... A couple of tales to illustrate what I mean

My boss has mild Asthma, he phoned up the national hotline thing and asked if he was entitled to a jab yet as he had Asthma, they asked him some questions and determined that as his asthma was mild, he didn't qualify. A few days later he was contacted by his GP, saying as he had Asthma he was now elligible for a jab.

I jumped at the chance when offered my Jab by the National Rollout and was given an appointment weeks away (yesterday - about a month after being contacted), a few days later I was contacted by my GP to offer me the jab but thought, nah I already have an appointment so I'll leave it but them others seemed to be getting appointments through their GPs much earlier than the one I was offered. About a week later I tried to book through my GP and was informed there was no allocation left. A friend, however, booked through the GP the next day and got an appointment for a few days time. To my mind there was obviously a connection that said that they knew I already had an appointment so they declined me an earlier one.

Now if that connection takes a couple of days to be made (it will take a while for EMIS to be updated) people booking nationally will a few days later be wiped off the GPs list, so it drops down. But that is where the demographics of the area the surgery in comes into play. Some areas have far more older people than others and if those older people take up the jab Nationally it frees up the locally available jabs to other groups

So I think there may be a case that GPs are using their own rules as to who fits in to the criteria plus the demographics of the area and the co-ordination between the National and Local campaigns that is causing much younger people to be offered the jab in certain places.

Nothing gospel in here, just an idea formed from different people's experiences and my own.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, bickster said:

@Seat68was your daughter offered this by her GP? The reason I ask is because I think GPs are treating this in a completely different way to the National Rollout... A couple of tales to illustrate what I mean

My boss has mild Asthma, he phoned up the national hotline thing and asked if he was entitled to a jab yet as he had Asthma, they asked him some questions and determined that as his asthma was mild, he didn't qualify. A few days later he was contacted by his GP, saying as he had Asthma he was now elligible for a jab.

I jumped at the chance when offered my Jab by the National Rollout and was given an appointment weeks away (yesterday - about a month after being contacted), a few days later I was contacted by my GP to offer me the jab but thought, nah I already have an appointment so I'll leave it but them others seemed to be getting appointments through their GPs much earlier than the one I was offered. About a week later I tried to book through my GP and was informed there was no allocation left. A friend, however, booked through the GP the next day and got an appointment for a few days time. To my mind there was obviously a connection that said that they knew I already had an appointment so they declined me an earlier one.

Now if that connection takes a couple of days to be made (it will take a while for EMIS to be updated) people booking nationally will a few days later be wiped off the GPs list, so it drops down. But that is where the demographics of the area the surgery in comes into play. Some areas have far more older people than others and if those older people take up the jab Nationally it frees up the locally available jabs to other groups

So I think there may be a case that GPs are using their own rules as to who fits in to the criteria plus the demographics of the area and the co-ordination between the National and Local campaigns that is causing much younger people to be offered the jab in certain places.

Nothing gospel in here, just an idea formed from different people's experiences and my own.

It was via her GP I believe. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Stevo985 said:

That's good to know. I'm 35 so hopefully mine isn't too far away.

Is your surgery at Ashfurlong?

Ley Hill (next to the Green House)

Jab is at Sutton town hall.

• Like 1

Figures in France are absolutely out of control. Looks like Europe are dealing with the highly contagious Kent variant no better than we did. Germany steadily rising as well. 

Their attitude to AstraZeneca in the midst of all this is baffling. 

25 minutes ago, sidcow said:

Figures in France are absolutely out of control. Looks like Europe are dealing with the highly contagious Kent variant no better than we did. Germany steadily rising as well. 

Bloody EU losers. Glad we're out of it :trollface:

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, Xela said:

Bloody EU losers. Glad we're out of it :trollface:

While we don't really know what the long term effect of Brexit will be, one of the arguments of the ultra orthodox remainers was that should we leave, UK will have a shortage of medications that will result in many deaths. 

This was before the pandemic and like I said, the long term is to be seen, but right now it looks like they are being proven very wrong in the most unfortunate way.

14 hours ago, TheAuthority said:

Just got my second Pfizer shot today.

Feeling fine so far luckily.

(I do have an iPhone, iPad & Macbook pro for sale though if anyone is interested.)

You don't need them any more now you've been microchipped by Bill Gates, right?

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Mic09 said:

While we don't really know what the long term effect of Brexit will be, one of the arguments of the ultra orthodox remainers was that should we leave, UK will have a shortage of medications that will result in many deaths. 

This was before the pandemic and like I said, the long term is to be seen, but right now it looks like they are being proven very wrong in the most unfortunate way.

Are you sure that's right? That the argument was 'should we leave', not 'should we leave without a deal'?

• Like 1

Just now, HanoiVillan said:

Are you sure that's right? That the argument was 'should we leave', not 'should we leave without a deal'?

You are right, I may have overgeneralised, it was a lazy short term thought.

But the ultra orthodox hard-line remainers also argued that Tories do not want a deal and are pushing for a no deal Brexit. Thus, if we leave -> there will be no deal -> people will die due to shortage of medicines. 

But that is a discussion for the other thread :)

3 minutes ago, Mic09 said:

My bestie has a number of conditions that need a whole array of medicines.

They are in short supply and he’s currently getting them a week at a time, sometimes missing a day.

Brexit absolutely has hit medicine supply in a very serious way.

The vaccine has been a great success, everyday medicines, maybe not so good.

• Like 2

45 minutes ago, sidcow said:

Poland's in a bit of a mess too 

Just now, chrisp65 said:

They are in short supply and he’s currently getting them a week at a time, sometimes missing a day.

Yeah I think this a good point. Covid is such an exceptional circumstance that trying to apportion blame on Brexit or the EU or anybody is basically pointless because it's totally outside the scope of what we knew or expected beforehand.

1 minute ago, chrisp65 said:

I hope he gets his meds.

I guess what I wanted to get across is that people who are very narrow in their hard-line reasoning can often be proven wrong in the most unfortunate ways.

Just now, Mic09 said:

I hope he gets his meds.

I guess what I wanted to get across is that people who are very narrow in their hard-line reasoning can often be proven wrong in the most unfortunate ways.

Oh for definite, I think the border that isn’t a border that we can ignore that we can’t ignore in the Irish Sea is proof of that.

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Mic09 said:

I'm not so sure about that. 

In this particular instance we've firstly worked very closely with the drug companies on development and testing including a lot development cash. 

We've worked closely with them on trials allowing them access to the NHS. 

We cleared the vaccines for use ahead of anyone else giving us an important head start, and allowing the drug companies to showcase their products in real world environments. 

And probably more important than anything we paid top dollar for the jabs.  The EU have used their bargaining power to get much lower prices. 

So in this particular instance it seems being smaller and nimbler, being collaborative and paying a fair whack has made us a preferred partner. 

I don't think that translates into other drugs which are still probably stuck in shipping containers at some port. 

Also the Government is spending tons of money on drug manufacturing capabilities in the UK.  That may well be a good investment in the long term, but it probably shows that the concern is real and we're still spending a load of money on building stuff that we didn't need to before, we could have just gone on as normal with no additional costs. 

We're also going to have to ensure AstraZeneca and GSK stay in British ownership and with British facilities which may ultimately hamper innovation and make them uncompetitive. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, chrisp65 said:

Oh for definite, I think the border that isn’t a border that we can ignore that we can’t ignore in the Irish Sea is proof of that.

Too true

3 minutes ago, sidcow said:

I'm not so sure about that. 

In this particular instance we've firstly worked very closely with the drug companies on development and testing including a lot development cash. 

We've worked closely with them on trials allowing them access to the NHS. 

We cleared the vaccines for use ahead of anyone else giving us an important head start, and allowing the drug companies to showcase their products in real world environments. 

And probably more important than anything we paid top dollar for the jabs.  The EU have used their bargaining power to get much lower prices. 

So in this particular instance it seems being smaller and nimbler, being collaborative and paying a fair whack has made us a preferred partner. 

I don't think that translates into other drugs which are still probably stuck in shipping containers at some port. 

Also the Government is spending tons of money on drug manufacturing capabilities in the UK.  That may well be a good investment in the long term, but it probably shows that the concern is real and we're still spending a load of money on building stuff that we didn't need to before, we could have just gone on as normal with no additional costs. 

We're also going to have to ensure AstraZeneca and GSK stay in British ownership and with British facilities which may ultimately hamper innovation and make them uncompetitive. 

No argument - hence I said, we shall see what the long term effect of these actions will be.

Â