Generic Virus Thread

villakram

4 hours ago, DCJonah said:

Daughter has symptoms so heading off for a test. Anyone got any tips for sticking something down a 5 year olds throat and up her nose?

I'm nervous she's just going to flat out refuse and then we're stuck indoors for 10 days. 

Currently offering every bribe we can think of before we set off. 

Many people just rub the swab from side to side at the back of the throat and then unsurprisingly feel sick  

Place the swab into the mouth and touch the left tonsil.  Remove it and then place it in again to touch the right tonsil.  

3 hours ago, Genie said:

I’m hearing that the testing in schools near me are throwing up loads of positive tests in all year groups.

Makes you wonder how many lives would have been saved if children were tested last year, and then isolated upon positive tests?

They were ignored because they didn’t show symptoms, but peddling it round the community.

If they are using the lateral flow tests then I wouldn’t worry. You may as well lick your finger and stick it in the air. They aren’t fit for purpose in the slightest.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Ingram85 said:

If they are using the lateral flow tests then I wouldn’t worry. You may as well lick your finger and stick it in the air. They aren’t fit for purpose in the slightest.

It's funny, there seems to be very little coverage in mainstream media about the accuracy of LFTs

Strangely Daily Heil seem to be the only major paper to report that they aren't very good but don't seem to have accompanied it with a "Big Boris Blunder" headline which is not so strange. 

Actually I've just noticed a common thread that pretty much every story saying LTF's are rubbish seem to quote Professor John Deeks from Birmingham University. Looking at his Twitter account he certainly doesn't seem to like them. 

How hard can it be for an independent organisation to run a load of tests for LTF'S and "proper" lab tests and publish their findings? I would certainly like to see more press scrutiny on this. It's costing a hell of a lot of money and meant to be protecting people. 

spacer.png

As the age groups are coming down and people are in ‘less’ danger, it appears the no show rate is rising.

500 no shows for pre booked appointments in one day. When the target is 28,000 jabs per day, 500 no shows is a significant hinderance to hitting targets.

So the tactic here, is still to get the vaccination staff to phone around family and friends to see who can get to the centre before closing to maximise jabs per day (which is how I got mine). But also, to double down on 2nd jabs, as people do turn up for their 2nd, if they’ve had a 1st. So the use of the allocation is maximised. 

Fwiw, I don’t think the chart above is any illustration of who’s best, just different.

21 minutes ago, sidcow said:

It's funny, there seems to be very little coverage in mainstream media about the accuracy of LFTs

Strangely Daily Heil seem to be the only major paper to report that they aren't very good but don't seem to have accompanied it with a "Big Boris Blunder" headline which is not so strange. 

It’s shocking. My colleague who is a staff nurse had coronavirus a few weeks ago after picking it up from her daughter. She did two lateral flow tests that came back negative but she was sure she had it so she had the proper test done the same day to be sure and yep, positive. That we are relying on them in terms of schools and work places is scary stuff. 

1 hour ago, LondonLax said:

Europe is not one country.

Different countries have different strategies, some are applying the delayed second dose, some are sticking to the manufacture’s instructions. 

Pretty much all of them are way behind where they should be though, regardless. As outlined by the WHO report released today

3 hours ago, bickster said:

Fairly sure there was a paper released about 2 weeks after the Govt changed the 2nd dose interval that suggested that it was the correct move and provided longer lasting protection. As I recall it kinda killed the "you've got to do it at four weeks" argument stone cold dead.

That was for the AZ vaccine only, IIRC,  and because it is a traditional type of vaccine, that was always a likely outcome. For the Pfizer/BioNtech vaccines which are some kind of new fangled witchcraft vaccines, there was no evidence to support an extension to 12 weeks, and no precedent/analogy to similar witchcraft vaccines. The Government and Gov't medics basically winged it on extending the dose interval for those vaccines.

The last time I read on the Gov.uk website, there still wasn't any evidence available on efficacy and transmission and so on with the 12 week gap for those vaccines. 

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, chrisp65 said:

So the tactic here, is still to get the vaccination staff to phone around family and friends to see who can get to the centre before closing to maximise jabs per day (which is how I got mine). But also, to double down on 2nd jabs, as people do turn up for their 2nd, if they’ve had a 1st. So the use of the allocation is maximised. 

Thats fairly standard I think, same happens in the Trust my missus works for. They "found" 3000 extra jabs in Walthamstow yesterday, sent a tweet to get down the vac centre if you wanted the jab today and and had a mile long queue in no time at all

50 minutes ago, bickster said:

Pretty much all of them are way behind where they should be though, regardless. As outlined by the WHO report released today

Yeah they have struggled with getting supplies. April should see things pick up when the Johnson and Johnson vaccines are delivered. 

18 hours ago, mikeyp102 said:

Have you lied and said you’re a carer? Thought you were around my age (38)?

41 mate. 

Had a text from my surgery asking me to book an appointment. A few work colleagues who live locally, who are 45-46 years old, have already been jabbed, so we must be motoring through the vaccinations over here in B74. 

12 hours ago, sharkyvilla said:

Dusted off the old wheelchair, I bet

Had to pump the tyres up and wheel myself past the surgery a few times to get noticed. 

• Like 3

58 minutes ago, TheAuthority said:

Just got my second Pfizer shot today.

Feeling fine so far luckily.

(I do have an iPhone, iPad & Macbook pro for sale though if anyone is interested.)

That's you getting kicked out of hipster CO!

• Like 1

Senior Tories join Jeremy Corbyn to oppose Covid passports ahead of trials

More than 70 MPs including 40 Conservatives, the former Labour leader Jeremy Corbyn and Liberal Democrat members have forged a parliamentary alliance to oppose Covid identity documents.

It came as Boris Johnson suggested the government would move ahead with the scheme and it was announced that pilots of mass testing at large events would take place this month.

Four former Tory cabinet ministers including Iain Duncan Smith and Andrew Mitchell are among the group, along with key Labour leftwingers such as John McDonnell, Clive Lewis, Diane Abbott and Rebecca Long-Bailey.

The coalition of MPs is backed by the civil liberties groups Liberty, Big Brother Watch, the Joint Council for the Welfare of Immigrants (JCWI) and Privacy International.

Johnson has noticeably warmed to the idea of the documents in recent weeks. Government sources have suggested the certificates could be used by businesses as a way to relax social distancing measures inside venues.

...more

• Like 2

14 hours ago, Xela said:

41 mate. 

Had a text from my surgery asking me to book an appointment. A few work colleagues who live locally, who are 45-46 years old, have already been jabbed, so we must be motoring through the vaccinations over here in B74. 

That's good to know. I'm 35 so hopefully mine isn't too far away.

Is your surgery at Ashfurlong?

My daughter had hers last week, 32 years old. We have assumed that she was done this early was due to her having depression and on medication for that. No other reason. 

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, Seat68 said:

My daughter had hers last week, 32 years old. We have assumed that she was done this early was due to her having depression and on medication for that. No other reason. 

I'm 42 with depression and medication, and ongoing medication for IBS, and nobody has offered me a prick.

13 minutes ago, NurembergVillan said:

I'm 42 with depression and medication, and ongoing medication for IBS, and nobody has offered me a prick.

You can have mine if you like

Â