Generic Virus Thread

villakram

I expect a full on proper turning of the screw now from bozo and his media chums to fully turn the public against the nhs after years of sowing the seeds and upping the ante of anti nhs rhetoric. I hope they and anyone who falls for it all burn in hell. 

• Like 2

This thing is pretty damn rough hey? Not that I was dismissive of it at all before getting the damn thing. Really glad I managed to get my booster just before hand, no huge effect on my diabetes yet but Im starting to feel as sick as I remember being for a very long time.

The big drama over here at the moment is the government is refusing to fund or subsidise RATs for people making a really important tool in the control of the virus essentially only for people who can a) find them b) afford to splash out what is not a small amount of money. Although in trying to find how much they are costing for this post it does seem they announced yesterday that certain concession card holders could get them free but that doesn’t help when it’s not just concession card holders who can unknowingly be out in the community spreading the thing.

Anti and pro vac comments are taking over the thread, I don't see the point in trying to argue for one or the other on here, neither will convince the other.

My mate at work is Polish he believes that the vaccination is a waste of time.   BUT he wants to go visit his family on a regular basis and knows he has to have it so he can fly and enter / exit other countries. he said he also knows he has to have a driving license to drive to the airport, he has to obey the speed limits he believes taking vaccine should also be law. So he is vaccinated including the booster and flies back home every opportunity.

Another one of the Polish lads refuses to to have the vaccination he desperately misses his family too,  but he hasn't seen them. 

Edited by Robtaylor200

Mrs. T had positive LTF in the morning and negative in the afternoon. googled it and found that you must not eat or drink 30 mins before testing and blow nose completely before hand 

As food and drink can coat your tonsils and snot can hide the trace of the covid. Not a lot of people know this 

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Eidolon said:

This thing is pretty damn rough hey? Not that I was dismissive of it at all before getting the damn thing. Really glad I managed to get my booster just before hand, no huge effect on my diabetes yet but Im starting to feel as sick as I remember being for a very long time.

The big drama over here at the moment is the government is refusing to fund or subsidise RATs for people making a really important tool in the control of the virus essentially only for people who can a) find them b) afford to splash out what is not a small amount of money. Although in trying to find how much they are costing for this post it does seem they announced yesterday that certain concession card holders could get them free but that doesn’t help when it’s not just concession card holders who can unknowingly be out in the community spreading the thing.

excuse my lack of knowledge what is RATs

10 minutes ago, Davkaus said:

I'm glad they put his name on the suit just in case we weren't sure which old white man that looks like Joe Biden weas standing in front of a white building with an American flag :D 

It wasn't for the readers benefit, it was so the President could recognise himself  :mrgreen:

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

24 minutes ago, a-k said:

Except he is a crackpot? His claim of "inventing" mRNA vaccines is based on some work of injecting mRNA into mice that he did as a Master's student. This is not the current method that is used and he had minor contributions to this current method. He wasn't even the first person to inject mRNA into a mammal. He never completed a PhD, barely did any scientific research in the 15 years immediately preceding the pandemic, and consistently posted misinformation and/or blatantly misconstrued the words of others in his posts and not backed up by the research and data he was posting. This is a guy who organized a deal with Trump for a $21 million study to see if heartburn medication could cure covid, then resigned from his post within a week of the deal going through. Makes you wonder how much he pocketed from that and what his conflicts of interest are.

Freedom of speech does not equate to freedom to spew whatever nonsense you want that may endanger others. The problem with people like Malone is that you don't know what their motives are. There are so many examples of high-profile people who are themselves vaccinated but strongly oppose the vaccines simply for personal and/or political gain (see Fox News). When you have 500k followers, you can turn it into a living by spewing whatever your audience wants to hear.

Yeah, listening to Malone is a bit like listening to a man who as a kid thought we'd have flying cars in the future as some sort of guru on flying cars. The guy is nothing but a grifter spewing misinformation, going on fox news and all the known alt-right bs channels to earn money through his various schemes. 

If people are still listening to Joe Rogan they should really stop. The guy is nothing short of a an alt-right propaganda machine.

• Like 2

Quite strange a lot of people I know who have or have had Covid recently have all recently had the booster. I haven't had my booster and I have not caught it? I think I have had Covid as my Mrs had it in the early days and I also felt a bit rough at the time, but have never actually had a positive test PCR or lateral flow. 

It's just all very strange this Virus, pick and chooses at times.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, a-k said:

Except he is a crackpot? His claim of "inventing" mRNA vaccines is based on some work of injecting mRNA into mice that he did as a Master's student. This is not the current method that is used and he had minor contributions to this current method. He wasn't even the first person to inject mRNA into a mammal. He never completed a PhD, barely did any scientific research in the 15 years immediately preceding the pandemic, and consistently posted misinformation and/or blatantly misconstrued the words of others in his posts and not backed up by the research and data he was posting. This is a guy who organized a deal with Trump for a $21 million study to see if heartburn medication could cure covid, then resigned from his post within a week of the deal going through. Makes you wonder how much he pocketed from that and what his conflicts of interest are.

Freedom of speech does not equate to freedom to spew whatever nonsense you want that may endanger others. The problem with people like Malone is that you don't know what their motives are. There are so many examples of high-profile people who are themselves vaccinated but strongly oppose the vaccines simply for personal and/or political gain (see Fox News). When you have 500k followers, you can turn it into a living by spewing whatever your audience wants to hear.

I think this is mostly fair. I do think there is some underlying bitterness to Malone.

The relevance of the heartburn drug, though, I am not so sure. In the early stages of the pandemic a number of pre-existing drugs (treating all sorts of ailments) were being reviewed and analysed by scientists across the world as potential treatments for COVID-19.
Some drugs did show early promise but fell by the wayside.

In terms of the $21m deal, that’s was paid to his employees. It does wonder whether he was rewarded with any of that money, but we just don’t know. It could be that he walked out on the basis of the company reneging on paying out certain financial incentives. He blamed the environment as being difficult to work within. I guess we’ll never find out. I’d be very surprised if he didn’t make a dollar out of it though. 

There might also be an irony to it being a heartburn medication. Pfizer are one of three companies currently going through litigation in the US. They’ve been accused of concealing the dangers of a carcinogen they’d been using in Zantac (a heartburn medication). The drug had been marketed as safe and the chemical was never listed as an ingredient. 

32 minutes ago, foreveryoung said:

Quite strange a lot of people I know who have or have had Covid recently have all recently had the booster. I haven't had my booster and I have not caught it?

Ergo, the booster causes covid. Quick, get than on Facebook and Twitter. 

• Haha 2

34 minutes ago, foreveryoung said:

Quite strange a lot of people I know who have or have had Covid recently have all recently had the booster. I haven't had my booster and I have not caught it? I think I have had Covid as my Mrs had it in the early days and I also felt a bit rough at the time, but have never actually had a positive test PCR or lateral flow. 

It's just all very strange this Virus, pick and chooses at times.

Yes same. 

Â