Generic Virus Thread

villakram

2 hours ago, Davkaus said:

I can't believe how quickly it's become acceptable to need to give the police a letter from your employer to justify your travel.

I'm on board entirely with them being able to break up public gathering, but this seems absolutely insane.

I mean you could understand it if people weren't doing their bit and doing the right thing to save lives. 

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-52072568

Frontline NHS staff in England will begin being tested this weekend to see if they have coronavirus.

Workers with symptoms or those who live with people who have symptoms will be checked - starting with critical care doctors and nurses. 

It follows criticism over a lack of testing for health workers. 

Meanwhile, the prime minister and Health Secretary Matt Hancock are self-isolating after testing positive for the virus.

Boris Johnson, 55, said he had experienced mild symptoms over the past 24 hours but would continue to lead the government's response to the pandemic while working from his Downing Street home. Mr Hancock said his symptoms were also mild and he was working from home. 

The number of people who have died with the virus in the UK rose by 181 to 759 on Friday, with 14,543 confirmed cases.

More details in link.

12 hours ago, chrisp65 said:

Apparently Stoke have fined him for that.

Sense of humour by pass there methinks.

Even as a joke, the fact that he has a balaclava casually lying around the house tells you everything you need to know about the prick

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, TheMelvillan said:

Even as a joke, the fact that he has a balaclava casually lying around the house tells you everything you need to know about the prick

Where’s your evidence it was casually lying around?

He could have got it out of his carefully hidden sleeper hitman pack.

• Haha 4

Just got off the phone to my grandparents (80’s). Grandma was telling me that they pop out each day to go to the shops. She said she only wanted bananas yesterday and couldn’t get them anywhere. 
Some people just don’t get it do they?

😖

• Sad 2

Picture in China still opaque and linked NPR article is worth a read. Points to importance of having tests that actually work, not just rushing out Chinese made junk that delivers false positives/negatives. 

Where's Johnny?

Global condom shortage looms as coronavirus shuts down production

'A global shortage of condoms is looming, the world’s biggest producer has said, after a coronavirus lockdown forced it to shut down production.

Malaysia’s Karex Bhd makes one in every five condoms globally. It has not produced a single condom in its three Malaysian factories for more than a week because of a lockdown imposed by the government to halt the spread of the virus.

That is already a shortfall of 100m condoms, normally marketed internationally by brands such as Durex, supplied to state healthcare systems such as Britain’s NHS or distributed by aid programmes such as the UN Population Fund.

The company was given permission to restart production on Friday, but with only 50% of its workforce, under a special exemption for critical industries.

“It will take time to jumpstart factories and we will struggle to keep up with demand at half capacity,” said the chief executive, Goh Miah Kiat.'

more on link: https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/mar/27/global-condom-shortage-coronavirus-shuts-down-production

My favourite part of this story is the picture:

3394.jpg?width=1920&quality=85&auto=form

Â