Generic Virus Thread

villakram

45 minutes ago, MCU said:

I've seen 2 people in the space of a few hours on my FB report they've been charged £30 by the police for being out.

They must not have had a valid reason for being out? Unfortunately people just don't seem to understand that they need to stay at home unless absolutely necessary 

People really are embracing the Stasi.

https://www.runnersworld.com/uk/news/a31952225/coronavirus-two-runs-police/

On Monday 23 March, the Prime Minister Boris Johnson put the country into lockdown, instructing the nation to only leave their homes to shop for essentials or for one form of exercise per day.

One police force in Northampton has reported a surge of calls from people reporting their neighbours for breaking this exercise ban. In the coming days, police will be given the power to fine individuals breaking the rules.

Nick Adderley, from Northamptonshire Police, told BBC news, “"We are getting calls from people who say 'I think my neighbour is going out on a second run - I want you to come and arrest them'. We have had dozens and dozens of these calls."

10 minutes ago, Davkaus said:

People really are embracing the Stasi.

There is very much a balance to be struck and I'd suggest that calling the police asking for a neighbour to be arrested for going for a second run is on the wrong side of the line, obviously (and nonsense - unless you're in Wales ;)).

What, however, should someone do about a neighbour who is obviously ignoring everything about the regulations and just going about as though nothing's going on? Should they just hope that they get stopped and that they then take notice of the FPN they receive? Or should they just hope that this person isn't their local, modern version of Typhoid Mary?

Edit: Given that the neighbour is the sort of person who wouldn't listen to any interjections or observations from anyone - even perhaps the local plod?

Edited by snowychap

Just now, snowychap said:

There is very much a balance to be struck and I'd suggest that calling the police asking for a neighbour to be arrested for going for a second run is on the wrong side of the line, obviously.

What, however, should someone do about a neighbour who is obviously ignoring everything about the regulations and just going about as though nothing's going on? Should they just hope that they get stopped and that they then take notice of the FPN they receive? Or should they just hope that this person isn't their local, modern version of Typhoid Mary?

Get them to read this thread. They'll shit themselves and prbably never go out again!!

Just now, foreveryoung said:

Get them to read this thread. They'll shit themselves and prbably never go out again!!

I'm not sure the person in question has ever been online, though they may have heard talk of the internet. :)

34 minutes ago, foreveryoung said:

Its mental in the hospitals (mrs is a nurse). Most staff now being transferred to the cronovirurus areas to help out. They have kit but not enough and Mrs was saying its hard to stay in full kit apron, mask visor for a full 12 hour shift, also its tables, handles, beds etc, you have to be so careful althpugh its everywhere. Mrs said she will get it guaranteed, but then it's me and my lad too. God knows what people are supposed to do when they have family being front line NHS.

I know words are cheap mate but

.....please pass onto your missus my gratitude and admiration for her and her colleagues. And best wishes to you aswell, and 

....when this is over, I hope if there’s something you need that’s within my ability to give, say the word. I mean that.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

One thing I thought was interesting is that while the "one form of exercise a day" has been strongly suggested, and the police are saying they'll enforce it, it's actually not the law. There is no statutory restriction on duration of exercise, frequency of exercise, or distance of exercise from your home, regardless of what plod thinks. Not sure how keen I'd be to pursue that line of argument at the moment, admittedly. (Source, page 4: https://www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/2020/350/pdfs/uksi_20200350_en.pdf)

I think if it were gatherings of people, I'd have little problem getting it broken up, but someone going out to get a bit of **** peace for a second time in a day, as a solitary run nowhere near anyone? Christ, you'd think enjoying any form of existence was banned. It's a shame we've all placidly agreed on far more draconian measures than are really required just because some people have no idea how to behave, and it was just easier to be over the top than to police it in a sensible way.

Edited by Davkaus
  • Like 2

A member of the royal family has died from Covid-19. Princess Maria Therese of Spain, 86  Her younger brother delivered the news.

Her brother by the way has a fantastic name: Prince Sixtus Henry Bourbon-Parma 

18 minutes ago, foreveryoung said:

I hope not, not with the toilet roll shortage. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

17 minutes ago, Davkaus said:

One thing I thought was interesting is that while the "one form of exercise a day" has been strongly suggested, and the police are saying they'll enforce it, it's actually not the law. There is no statutory restriction on duration of exercise, frequency of exercise, or distance of exercise from your home, regardless of what plod thinks. Not sure how keen I'd be to pursue that line of argument at the moment, admittedly. (Source, page 4: https://www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/2020/350/pdfs/uksi_20200350_en.pdf)

I think if it were gatherings of people, I'd have little problem getting it broken up, but someone going out to get a bit of **** peace for a second time in a day, as a solitary run nowhere near anyone? Christ, you'd think enjoying any form of existence was banned. It's a shame we've all placidly agreed on far more draconian measures than are really required just because some people have no idea how to behave, and it was just easier to be over the top than to police it in a sensible way.

I agree. 

I've been pissed off about the idiots having BBQ's, going the beach in droves and stuff, but people phoning the plod because their neighbour has gone for two runs need to get a grip.

the coppers need to be telling them to sod off and stop wasting police time. 

Edited by wazzap24

16 minutes ago, Davkaus said:

I think if it were gatherings of people, I'd have little problem getting it broken up, but someone going out to get a bit of **** peace for a second time in a day, as a solitary run nowhere near anyone?

Those are the two extremes, though, aren't they?

There is a whole lot in the middle, including people who are not changing their way of behaving in the slightest (same visits, same activities, same comings and goings, &c.).

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, wazzap24 said:

I'm 100% convinced there is a decent number of people who genuinely think it is. 

I live right by a park and I've seen some shell suits going past the window that haven't seen the light of day since 1989. 

😂😂😂brilliant

• Like 1

Â