Generic Virus Thread

villakram

Boots have opened two testing sites for NHS workers, which is great. But the locations are interesting. Their headquarters in Nottingham. Fair enough. And....Chessington World of Adventures.

Dafuq GIFs - Get the best GIF on GIPHY

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Davkaus said:

Yes.

This video desperately needs another couple of minutes adding to it.

It’s just mind blowing in the most tragic of ways.

How can we possibly have ended up where we are, I just don’t get it.

But then, I think the amount of things I do ‘get’ these days can be counted on one hand.

Sometimes things get so overwhelmingly surreal I don’t even want to wake up in a morning.

1 hour ago, markavfc40 said:

There have been almost 5700 deaths from covid 19 in Spain now with 15% of those who have died being health care workers.

Where did you get this information from? You should be ashamed spreading this kind of stuff if you're not certain of its accuracy.

3 minutes ago, YLN said:

Where did you get this information from? You should be ashamed spreading this kind of stuff if you're not certain of its accuracy.

Health workers make up nearly 14% of Spain's coronavirus cases

Health workers accounted for nearly 14% of Spain’s total reported coronavirus cases as of Tuesday, up from 12% the previous day, according to data presented by health emergency chief Fernando Simon at a news conference.

Some 5,400 health care workers have been diagnosed with the virus, Simon said, out of a total of 39,673 confirmed cases in the country, Europe’s second worst-hit after Italy.

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-health-coronavirus-spain-cases/health-workers-make-up-nearly-14-of-spains-coronavirus-cases-idUSKBN21B1MF

So complete bollocks then. Edit that post to say you don't know what you're talking about. Mortality among healthcare workers does not equal that of the general population with this disease

57 minutes ago, ml1dch said:

They're going to be first-born kids.

Not much of that is going to be happening in a house under lockdown that already had children climbing the walls in it.

family starting after our wedding was the plan. With the wedding off, that might just start sooner! Although not just yet, most of the other half's birthdays in her family are all in December, ( 9th,18th, 20th, 21st ffs ). 

9 minutes ago, YLN said:

So complete bollocks then. Edit that post to say you don't know what you're talking about. Mortality among healthcare workers does not equal that of the general population with this disease

YLN, you seem very angry about this and I'm not sure I understand why.

Are you saying that the mortality rates for healthcare workers are lower than in the general population and that the reporting of figures is therefore scaremongering in some way? Or is the mortailty rate higher among healthcare workers because of their increased exposure and you're upset that it's being underreported?

My sense is that it's the first of those cases, but it seems a strange thing to be quite so angry about, so I'm not sure.

Do you have figures for mortality rates for healthcare workers that might help explain? Something more than the slightly unexpected rant?

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, YLN said:

Obviously not as elderly with underlying diseases will be much more at risk.

But at the same time all accounts point to that prolonged exposure and higher doses of the virus greatly increases the danger to those working in and around hospitals.

2 minutes ago, sne said:

Obviously not as elderly with underlying diseases will be much more at risk.

But at the same time all accounts point to that prolonged exposure and higher doses of the virus greatly increases the danger to those working in and around hospitals.

Nobody is denying this. It's the misinterpretation of reports then quoting that as fact that is the issue

1 minute ago, RimmyJimmer said:

Nobody is denying this. It's the misinterpretation of reports then quoting that as fact that is the issue

I linked to a article that stated the facts to someone who was asking for information.

Hope that helped.

6 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

YLN, you seem very angry about this and I'm not sure I understand why.

Are you saying that the mortality rates for healthcare workers are lower than in the general population and that the reporting of figures is therefore scaremongering in some way? Or is the mortailty rate higher among healthcare workers because of their increased exposure and you're upset that it's being underreported?

My sense is that it's the first of those cases, but it seems a strange thing to be quite so angry about, so I'm not sure.

Do you have figures for mortality rates for healthcare workers that might help explain? Something more than the slightly unexpected rant?

The post says that 15% of those dead from Covid are healthcare workers, when in fact it's that 15% of cases of covid are healthcare workers. The vast majority of healthcare workers are going to be under 50. The mortality rate of those under 50 is about 0.5% in Italy. Between 50 and 60, the mortality rate is 1.7%. This does not equate to 15% of those that die are healthcare workers.

15% of those that have covid are healthcare workers. Close to 100% of healthcare workers are under 60. The mortality rate of people under 60 with Covid is around 1%. 99% of healthcare workers who are infected are not going to die from the infection. 

The reason it makes me angry is that healthcare workers are going to work and facing into this every day. It is absolutely irresponsible to add to their worries even more by suggesting that 15% of those that have died are healthcare workers when it is absolutely untrue. We don't need to spread misinformation that adds to the stress already being felt by healthcare workers

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, YLN said:

The post says that 15% of those dead from Covid are healthcare workers, when in fact it's that 15% of cases of covid are healthcare workers. The vast majority of healthcare workers are going to be under 50. The mortality rate of those under 50 is about 0.5% in Italy. Between 50 and 60, the mortality rate is 1.7%. This does not equate to 15% of those that die are healthcare workers.

15% of those that have covid are healthcare workers. Close to 100% of healthcare workers are under 60. The mortality rate of people under 60 with Covid is around 1%. 99% of healthcare workers who are infected are not going to die from the infection. 

The reason it makes me angry is that healthcare workers are going to work and facing into this every day. It is absolutely irresponsible to add to their worries even more by suggesting that 15% of those that have died are healthcare workers when it is absolutely untrue. We don't need to spread misinformation that adds to the stress already being felt by healthcare workers

what's the figure? What is the figure as a percentage of health workers that have died. 

2 minutes ago, Seat68 said:

what's the figure? What is the figure as a percentage of health workers that have died. 

100% of health workers that have died are dead. Anything else is an extrapolation.

There is nothing valid from extrapolating that because healthcare workers make up 15% of the overall covid infected, that they also make up 15% of the dead because the demographics of healthcare workers and those that have died from covid are totally different. 

3 minutes ago, Davkaus said:

This is pretty astonishing. There's not even enough **** scrubs. The NHS is so desperate for supplies they're reaching out to kink suppliers. 

Which kinda harks back to the conversation a few days ago about who was ‘to blame’ for a shortage of ppe stock.

We had an article on the news here (can’t remember if it was local or national), that despite promises all was well and assurances there were military logistics solving problems, stocks still weren’t getting through. It mentioned that some hospitals had resorted to using their own budgets to source their own supplies.

Which was potentially an interesting insight in to where any forward planning should have been happening. I accept it could also have been ropey journalism, I don’t know enough about NHS procurement in 2020.

With similar timing it was announced that hospitals were buying up stocks of gloves from Screwfix and using school suppliers to source goggles and visors.

It did slightly make me wonder what was going on centrally, when plan C was for the hospitals to sort it quicker for themselves. I suspect there was an element of central logistics looking for the correct spec and local logistics sending a car round the local Screwfix outlets to have something rather than nothing.

Â