Danny Drinkwater

StefanAVFC

3 hours ago, sheepyvillian said:

I think "most" is an exaggeration. 

I'd have sent him back after the Jota headbutt.

Still here so I don't want him starting games but surely can be some use coming off the bench in games we're winning and need to protect a lead although we haven't done much of that recently.

Nothing sorted with him or Reina yet apparently...

Dean Smith wants to extend the stay of on-loan Aston Villa players Pepe Reina and Danny Drinkwater.

The head coach told BirminghamLive that Villa have until the end of the month to extend the duo's loan deals with 10 games remaining.

Smith said: "I don’t think it has to be done until the end of June so that will be with Suso (sporting director) and the secretary to sort out.

"I am keen for both of them to stay. We are allowed bigger squads now and a bigger subs bench. I am keen to have as many as I can."

"There was an incident on the training ground that it wasn't happy with and, again, it's been sorted," Smith explained. "It got sorted at the time and Danny got reprimanded. It will be nothing more than what goes on at every other training ground."

Regardless of that incident, Smith could yet hand Drinkwater a shock start in midfield alongside John McGinn tonight against Sheffield United.

The boss added: "He's worked very hard during the lockdown period to build up his fitness because someone who hasn't played an awful lot of games in the last year and a half, that was what he needed to do. He needed to make sure that he got up to speed."

https://www.birminghammail.co.uk/sport/football/transfer-news/dean-smith-makes-danny-drinkwater-18434388

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

Hope he's not in the squad. Drinkwater is useless. Slow. Bad awareness and doesn't work hard.

I'd rather give his spot to our most promising players in the U23

Edited by villalad21
  • Sad 1

Just now, Demitri_C said:

Ffs if dripwater starts tonight im going to be very annoyed indeed

On the bench according to the leaked picture in the pre match thread.

Might be a fake thou.

1 minute ago, Demitri_C said:

Ffs if dripwater starts tonight im going to be very annoyed indeed

Why? 

Impossible to tell on paper what condition any of them came back in or how fit any of them are, we have to trust what the staff have seen 

For as much clamouring as there will be for mcginn to start we have people at the club paid to measure his fitness who know better than we do 

7 hours ago, rodders0223 said:

He is done isn't he?

Saying that game probably would have suited him today. Slow pace and would have been nice to have someone pass the ball forward to feet 

He has a year left on his Chelsea contract I think & I can't see any team wanting his contract on their payroll. I feels career is very close to being done. Its a damn shame because he could play at a high level at one point.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, rodders0223 said:

He is done isn't he?

Saying that game probably would have suited him today. Slow pace and would have been nice to have someone pass the ball forward to feet 

Nobody missed him yesterday. Sooner he's gone the better.

1 hour ago, villalad21 said:

Nobody missed him yesterday. Sooner he's gone the better.

I don't think we'd lose anything by having him in our run. We have 5 subs and a bigger bench. It's not as we have a big talented squad. After who played today, we only have Lansbury, then Drinkwater. I'd definitely keep him.

Although I won't mind giving Ramsey or whoever some minutes, but having him would atleast help us in numbers.

• Like 1

His absence might simply be Dean Smith excluding him because he’s not allowed any involvement in the Chelsea game, and so the manager went with players who can play a part in both the opening two fixtures? I’m just not sure we have the depth of squad required  to send CMs away, an injury to any of Grealish, McGinn, or Luiz and we’re calling on Lansbury...........and that should worry all Villa fans. Injuries are going to happen. 

1 hour ago, OxfordVillan said:

His absence might simply be Dean Smith excluding him because he’s not allowed any involvement in the Chelsea game, and so the manager went with players who can play a part in both the opening two fixtures? I’m just not sure we have the depth of squad required  to send CMs away, an injury to any of Grealish, McGinn, or Luiz and we’re calling on Lansbury...........and that should worry all Villa fans. Injuries are going to happen. 

Hasn't this rule changed?

Â