Danny Drinkwater

StefanAVFC

4 minutes ago, Villan_of_oz said:

It's almost impossible to debate any player with you when you always revert to type.... But he was good once....

Drinkwater up until now has been nothing short of abysmal.

He has done literally nothing.

If he has a good game I will be sure to comment on it.

Can I ask you a question?

Who is a player that cannot do a job for us in your eyes?

In the current squad? None of them, that’s why they’re employed by the club, you?

14 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

He hasn't performed well enough to justify getting into our team. 

He's probably 7th or 8th choice as a centre midfielder. And rightly so. 

He's been utter shit for us and unless he manages to miraculously improve, he will probably never play in a villa shirt again.

He can get on the ball and actually dictate play

Just now, sir_gary_cahill said:

But he hasn't done that for us. 

Drinkwater hasn't performed at a high level for 3 or 4 seasons.

I admire your faith that he'll suddenly rediscover his form in a Villa shirt. But based on his performances for us so far there is little to no chance of that.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, sir_gary_cahill said:

In the current squad? None of them, that’s why they’re employed by the club, you?

I can name a few but this is the DD thread, you claimed he could help us stay up.

Can you provide any evidence from the last 3 seasons to support this claim. Just any stats from the 3 most recent seasons, which is a fair sample size. 

Anything at all? Or is this just a hunch?

1 minute ago, sir_gary_cahill said:

but he hasnt done that recently which is what people are saying.  He was brought by Chelsea, didnt do it there, loaned to Burnley and didnt do it there enough that he couldnt get a game and the bits we have seen of him he's been terrible and that's in this side.  So for three years at three different clubs he just hasnt done it, different managers, different clubs, different styles....he cant say he hasnt had chance and if he's showing nothing in training then that's a problem because he isnt going to get a game.  Why that is, only he knows but we cant afford to take the risk in our position.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

But he hasn't done that for us. 

Drinkwater hasn't performed at a high level for 3 or 4 seasons.

I admire your faith that he'll suddenly rediscover his form in a Villa shirt. But based on his performances for us so far there is little to no chance of that.

He’s proven at this level, he’s one of very few in our squad that actually is. Yes, it was 3 or 4 seasons ago but only Heaton, Reina, Drinkwater are proven Premier League players in our squad, the rest of the squad is young and with potential to be good Premier League players

9 minutes ago, nick76 said:

but he hasnt done that recently which is what people are saying.  He was brought by Chelsea, didnt do it there, loaned to Burnley and didnt do it there enough that he couldnt get a game and the bits we have seen of him he's been terrible and that's in this side.  So for three years at three different clubs he just hasnt done it, different managers, different clubs, different styles....he cant say he hasnt had chance and if he's showing nothing in training then that's a problem because he isnt going to get a game.  Why that is, only he knows but we cant afford to take the risk in our position.

Even in his short time on the pitch for Villa, he looked to get on the ball

7 minutes ago, sir_gary_cahill said:

He’s proven at this level, he’s one of very few in our squad that actually is. Yes, it was 3 or 4 seasons ago but only Heaton, Reina, Drinkwater are proven Premier League players in our squad, the rest of the squad is young and with potential to be good Premier League players

1 good season in 6 is not proven, Benteke has had better seasons, is younger and he isn't getting back to his old level 

Let's re-sign him as well

9 minutes ago, sir_gary_cahill said:

But being “proven” means nothing if you are no longer good. In fact it means less than nothing because it means people give you a chance based purely on you being good once upon a time and don’t give someone else a chance who is obviously better. 

Drinkwater has been utter shit in a Villa shirt. That’s the bottom line and luckily for all of us he probably won’t pull on a villa shirt ever again

Edited by Stevo985
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, sir_gary_cahill said:

Even in his short time on the pitch for Villa, he looked to get on the ball

That's the kind of thing that managers say when they dont havent anything proper to say, it's such a cliche. 

I have faith in him even if no-one else does

I really hope you are right and I am wrong.  We could really do with Drinkwater at his best in that Villa midfield, I just cant see it because he hasnt shown it for three years for different clubs/managers but I hope he does.  I think with McGinn back, I'm not sure we'll seen DD again this season in any meaningful minutes.

6 minutes ago, nick76 said:

I really hope you are right and I am wrong.  We could really do with Drinkwater at his best in that Villa midfield, I just cant see it because he hasnt shown it for three years for different clubs/managers but I hope he does.  I think with McGinn back, I'm not sure we'll seen DD again this season in any meaningful minutes.

I want to see a midfield 3 of McGinn-Drinkwater-Nakamba

I know, you said before.  That midfield to me is weak.  We dont have many options I know that.  The only nailed on position is McGinn, the rest I'd just "pin the tail on the donkey" type picking if I'm honest.  The rest are either young with potential, not showing their true colours yet, flops or in DD case is over the hill and past it.

• Sad 1

4 minutes ago, sir_gary_cahill said:

I think we might ...

He looked off the pace to start with but did still have some ok touches on the ball .

Chelsea I don't blame him its a typical Chelsea buy british player to keep the squad quota up, I never understood why they wanted him he was basically another Sidewell there was never going to play much.

Burnley thats on him for getting involved in off field issues that caused him to miss preseason 

He has one thing none of the rest have ..experience in staying up in a relegation fight.Before the league stopped my opinion was he was too far off the pace to be any use , this break should even up the players fitness levels so he is back at same level ..in theory.As it stands he is our player so i'll give him benefit of the doubt and get behind him the same as the rest of the squad.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, sir_gary_cahill said:

Would have Luiz in still, I'm not sure actually how many times we've played that trio as earlier in the season when McGinn was fit we were playing Grealish in the central three and so it was a case of either Luiz or Nakamba in the deeper role.

Given Drinkwater's lack of fitness it makes more sense to bring him on to close any game we're leading with 15-20 minutes left. He should be able to manage that at least.

3 hours ago, Zatman said:

1 good season in 6 is not proven, Benteke has had better seasons, is younger and he isn't getting back to his old level 

Let's re-sign him as well

By 9 months. Actually I agree with you. Drinnkwater was carried along on a crest of a wave by players like Kante, Mahrez and Vardy. Swap Westwood for Drinkwater in that Leicester team they still win the league. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, PaulC said:

By 9 months. Actually I agree with you. Drinnkwater was carried along on a crest of a wave by players like Kante, Mahrez and Vardy. Swap Westwood for Drinkwater in that Leicester team they still win the league. 

Drinkwater was a solid contributor to Leicester's promotion, great escape & title season. Playing alongside Kante allowed him some freedom but Kante wasn't carrying him ! He had a great ability to hit Vardy with a through ball. Having said that, he was poor for you guys & looked horribly out of shape, how he passed a medical is beyond me ! If he comes back in shape I believe he could help you guys stay up as he has the experience but his recent track record stinks !!

Â