Danny Drinkwater

StefanAVFC

6 hours ago, VillaChris said:

Would have Luiz in still, I'm not sure actually how many times we've played that trio as earlier in the season when McGinn was fit we were playing Grealish in the central three and so it was a case of either Luiz or Nakamba in the deeper role.

Given Drinkwater's lack of fitness it makes more sense to bring him on to close any game we're leading with 15-20 minutes left. He should be able to manage that at least.

I don’t think Luiz and Nakamba work well in midfield together, they are good players individually though

Can't remember the last player that we had that had pretty much been written off by many but then through good  performances went onto change people's opinion of him, and we've had a lot of players written off as not being good enough, often when there had been initail hope that they might do well, NZogbia, Gary Gardner, McCormack, Hogan, Lansbury, Bacuna, Gil and so on, but none of them seem to turn things around and prove the doubters wrong. I guess at some point you just have to sign good players.

Alan Hutton probably. Was poor in his first season season then was in bomb squad for two years but played his heart out in the relegation season and that won the Holte end over and he was a crowd favourite even before the SHA goal and left with best wishes.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, useless said:

Can't remember the last player that we had that had pretty much been written off by many but then through good  performances went onto change people's opinion of him, and we've had a lot of players written off as not being good enough, often when there had been initail hope that they might do well, NZogbia, Gary Gardner, McCormack, Hogan, Lansbury, Bacuna, Gil and so on, but none of them seem to turn things around and prove the doubters wrong. I guess at some point you just have to sign good players.

In order to sign good players, you have to be able to attract them. Given our current league position, we won’t be able to attract them, it doesn’t happen straight away like your post seems to imply

Our current league position has no bearing on who we can and can't sign, since the transfer window isn't open, when it does open the season will be over and we will have no league position to speak of, then it will be up to us to try and identify good players and to try and convince them to join. When you wrap it up we have to get better at signing good players, there's a reason that most teams are better than us and that's because they've been better than us at signing good players over the last ten years or so.

• Confused 1

2 minutes ago, useless said:

Our current league position has no bearing on who we can and can't sign, since the transfer window isn't open, when it does open the season will be over and we will have no league position to speak of, then it will be up to us to try and identify good players and to try and convince them to join. When you wrap it up we have to get better at signing good players, there's a reason that most teams are better than us and that's because they've been better than us at signing good players over the last ten years or so.

You’d hope that the wheels are already in motion

21 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

He is finished and washed up. If we had any sense we would send him back in june when his loan period is over.

A disaster signing as i expected. A very shit signing from smith

He’s only played a few matches for us, I don’t think he should be written off

• Haha 1

19 hours ago, useless said:

Milner and Petrov both had prolonged periods of negativity at the start of their villa careers on here (Milner's second spell)

• Thanks 1

On 28/05/2020 at 11:54, VillanousOne said:

have to hope he is now fit and can play, or Nakamba and Luiz have got a whole lot better and learnt how to play together. I wouldn't bet on either.

If and its a big f**king if but if he is in shape he really could help the club avoid the drop.

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, sir_gary_cahill said:

He’s in shape and ready to save our season

I truly hope he comes back in top shape & proves there is a top player in there somewhere.

• Like 2

On 27/05/2020 at 15:10, useless said:

I remember Hourihane being booed and cheered/jeered when he was subbed in the champo. I even wrote in thee match thread that he was finished at Villa if the home fans had turned on him.

But he turned it around under Smith and ended up being a key part of last seasons run in and played really in the play-off final.

On 28/05/2020 at 08:09, Demitri_C said:

He is finished and washed up. If we had any sense we would send him back in june when his loan period is over.

A disaster signing as i expected. A very shit signing from smith

Yeah he was a gamble that could have worked, but ultimately I don’t think he has the drive, ambition to get back to where he was. I think some players are good because they’re good, some are good because they work hard, I don’t think he’s either unfortunately.

Send him back in June and I bet he goes to the Championship next year.

Â