Pre match thread

lukesmith17

13 minutes ago, rjw63 said:

After losing to saints and Watford, aren't we already ****?

If we keep playing like it yes.

during the season we won 3 games.....many folk ( the positive ones, self acclaimed ) said it will turn, but it didn't.

Its going to be very hard to turn this around IMO......He needs a medal if he can.

I watched there game against manure and apart from a Taylor mistake for the first goal and just total caution to the wind looking for an equalizer in injury time with Pope up for a corner resulting in a manure counter which saw a late goal Burnley weren't to bad, however they had very little possession and just a single shot on target first half I do think we can get something from this game.

There weak point is Taylor at LB (sound familiar!) and they are a bunch of fouling bastards! 

Normally I dislike seeing Jack wide and much prefer him to be in the middle but for this one I think he should be wide right, if he was wide left he'd be up against Bardsley who had a good game against manure, he could reek havoc against Taylor and draw plenty of fouls for Conor to take.

GK obviously Heaton.

Defense not got a clue who is fit right now  if no Mings, Engels or Targett I guess it will look something like Guilbert-Hause-Konsa-Elmo

Although he's not been great recently I'd have Nakamba (not going to call him Marvelous as he's far from ******** marvelous) as a DM

Then a four Left to right of AEG-Hourihane-Luiz-Grealish

Then in an ideal world either Kodjia first choice as I feel Wes needs to sit a game out, if not Davis if fit. But have a sneaky suspicion it will be Wesley.

So my 4-1-4-1

Heaton

Guilbert-Hause-Konsa-Elmo

Nakamba

AEG-Hourihane-Luiz-Grealish

Kodjia

No point in out and out wingers as firstly Trez and AEG haven't really produced, secondly Burnley will win any cross we put in, thirdly I think a Jack and AEG wide but cutting inside would be much more effective.

Smith really needs to change things a bit for this game. When things aren't going your way, you just need to go back to basics. 

Heaton

Guilbert - Konsa - Hause - Targett

Luiz  - Conor

--------------------------------------------------------------

El Ghazi        Grealish               Trez

Wes/Kodj

Have both Luiz and Conor just sitting deep behind my imaginary line, not bombing forward to offer more protection. If Targett overlaps, Conor drops back a bit to fill the gap. If Guilbert overlaps, Luiz drops in to cover the gap. When we go forward, give El Ghazi, Grealish and Trez license to roam and interchange a bit. Forget their defensive duties when we're in possession as the DM's should be covering. When the ball turns over, get back into shape and track back.

Edited by PieFacE

7 hours ago, PieFacE said:

Smith really needs to change things a bit for this game. When things aren't going your way, you just need to go back to basics. 

Heaton

Guilbert - Konsa - Hause - Targett

Luiz  - Conor

--------------------------------------------------------------

El Ghazi        Grealish               Trez

Wes/Kodj

Have both Luiz and Conor just sitting deep behind my imaginary line, not bombing forward to offer more protection. If Targett overlaps, Conor drops back a bit to fill the gap. If Guilbert overlaps, Luiz drops in to cover the gap. When we go forward, give El Ghazi, Grealish and Trez license to roam and interchange a bit. Forget their defensive duties when we're in possession as the DM's should be covering. When the ball turns over, get back into shape and track back.

Conor deep just doesn't work that was obvious against Watford, we should see more possession against Burnley which will suit Conor he needs to play an attacking role or not on the pitch at all.

• Thanks 1

58 minutes ago, zab6359 said:

Conor deep just doesn't work that was obvious against Watford, we should see more possession against Burnley which will suit Conor he needs to play an attacking role or not on the pitch at all.

Conor deep has barely ever worked even when his finger is pulled out. Majority of his goal involvement that isn't set piece from memory has been free role attacking

Edited by Kiwivillan
  • Like 1

starting to feel like the season we went down. where we just know each game will be a defeat. i see no possibility whatsoever that we'll get a result here. just hoping for some fight. 2-0 burnley

Well I was ludicrously optimistic for Watford  based on blind faith. Burnley are not very good but there is no way that Dyche will get them relegated. We should have beaten them at Villa Park earlier in the season and dropped two points. Lose tomorrow that is one point from two games versus a lower half side.

Read somewhere that we have not won in the league at Turf Moor since 1936. The way we are playing I can't see that record going. A draw will feel like a victory. I would be happy just to see a improved performance and some sort of organisation at the back. Is that being too optimistic? Probably.

I think we hit rock bottom at the Watford game. So rock bottom that you'd like to think players and staff all feel like this can't go on. I really hope we'll see some fighting for pride tomorrow and I expect it. If we lose again we are in serious trouble.

• Like 1

Make or break for Smith. At the very least I expect us to get the basics right and show some fight and determination. If not he can piss off. 

If he doesn’t drop Wesley for this match I’m happy to see Smith fall on his sword. I don’t think he’s been given much of a chance with the players we’ve signed, but his reluctance to drop the car crash that is Wesley is getting us relegated. 

Im not happy to sit by and watch the manager, Villa fan or not, consistently pick someone who can’t play football. 

He won’t change it though of course. 

• Sad 1

Going forward this will be a great example to show Wes on how to play like a striker in a team giving them little service. Barnes and Wood will batter our CBs and give them a horrible time.

I'd honestly be tempted to play Konsa at RB and Hause at LB. Fred G, Targett and Elmo are all going to struggle.

This is a game for Trezeguet not El Ghazi and Marvelous not Hourihane.

Can't see anything here except a real bullying. Watford were crap and beat us 3-0. These lot aren't crap, they know exactly what they're trying to do every single play.

Heaton

Guilbert     Engels     Mings     Hause

Nakamba    

Luiz          Grealish 

Hourihane

Kodjia    El Ghazi

• Like 1

Smith has come out and said he wants more work rate from the team.

So..... we will see if they still want to play  for him.

However even with work rate we don't have enough quality in defence to win here.    Burnley away is every nicey nicey pass it around nice teams worst nightmare.

Even if smith thought hard and tried to think of a way to win this game you look at the record we have at turf moor and you cry big brown tears out of your arsehole. We might aswell be away at the nou camp.

Everything Smith tries turns to salt. Park the bus at sheffield. runined. Toe to Toe with saints. destoryed.

The only way we can get a result here is if we try and run the clock down for the whole 90mins. I'm sure Red star belgrade did this in a champs league final and ended up winning.

P{roblem with that is I still have dunno deano's post match excuse from watford ringing in my ears "Our lads would have kicked it out"

I expect Purslow to be en route to buenos aires.