Pre match thread

lukesmith17

Well something has to change and fast!

Jack must be moved back into the middle! Burnley are a decent side at home so dont expect much from this but who knows. We looked a decent side till a couple of weeks ago our confidence has been hit hard.

Edited by lukesmith17
  • Like 3

In the BBC live text today some other Villa fan said the same, that Smith shouldn't be playing Grealish on the wing. It will be interesting to see if that changes or not in the next few weeks.

I suppose a bit of our loss of confidence is probably due to Mings being out, as he's such a confident person and a vocal member of the team. Hope he's back on New Year's Day

By the way, who's Sheffield United's centre forward??? And if only we could have signed him in the summer. : (

Fear this one will go the same way as the Sheffield United and Watford games where we could get out-worked, out-muscled and out-thought. Man for man, I believe we are at least as good as they are and we possess the best player on the pitch by some distance BUT we need to go out there and dare I say it "roll up wor sleeves"! 

Crucial that we have Mings back, just as much for his leadership qualities as is playing abilities. I think Kodjia or Davis (if fit) needs to start because Smith ain't doing himself any favours by sticking with Wesley. Apart from big Wes I do think Smith as a rule has been trying to play players who have done well in the previous game and omit ones that have been poor, but for whatever reason the ones that start each game are just not consistently playing well.

I'd like to see either a 3-5-2 or a 4-2-3-1 formation to (at least) give something else a try, because the current formation is just not working and we are conceding way too many efforts on goal.

Although Jack can play anywhere, with McGinn out he needs to play central.

Depending on certain individuals fitness I'd go either;

Heaton

Konsa  Engels  Mings 

Guilbert                    Targett 

Luiz    Nakamba 

Grealish

Davis    Kodjia 

Or;

Heaton

Guilbert Engels Mings  Hause

Luiz   Nakamba  Hourihane 

Grealish 

Davis     Kodjia 

We need to change it, but we will still lose.

Heaton

Nakamba

Luiz                    Hourihane 

Grealish 

El Ghazi   Kodjia 

There's no point playing wingers, we don't utilise them. Pack out the midfield with a diamond and retain possession.

Two up front to work from, if Davis is back I would be tempted to start him over El Ghazi. El Ghazi would at least offer some pace up front.

Edited by wilko154
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, wilko154 said:

We need to change it, but we will still lose.

Heaton

Nakamba

Luiz                    Hourihane 

Grealish 

El Ghazi   Kodjia 

There's no point playing wingers, we don't utilise them. Pack out the midfield with a diamond and retain possession.

Two up front to work from, if Davis is back I would be tempted to start him over El Ghazi. El Ghazi would at least offer some pace up front.

I’d go with that but I would put Chester in with Mings and swap Grealish and Hourihane   around as Jack puts more effort in going back

The first game of a new decade. We will start this game unbeaten in 2020 and we will need to keep our defeats down to a minimum next year, if we are to avoid the unthinkable, that we are all currently thinking . Burnley aren't Liverpool or Manchester City, they have no superstars. What they have is a team that will try to bully our boys and that will work until they drop, and then work a bit more to get a win against us (a little like Watford then :().

Turf Moor has been an awful ground for us over the years. Our last league win there was way back in 1936, since then we have made 24 visits to Turf Moor, without winning a single league game there. That's an abysmal record and it is high time that we won another game there. On the positive side, we are unbeaten on our last three league visits, having drawn there in 2014, 2009 and in 1975. Overall, we have won 40 and have drawn 23 of the 99 league games, that there have been between the two clubs. A win would take us within 3 points of our hosts, a fourth successive draw there would certainly represent a significant improvement on our last embarrassing display, but we have come to the point now where we need to start winning games like this one. Win it for us Villa!!! 🤞  

Edited by John

Can we have a poll?

Options can be lose and the subs come after 80 minutes, lose & concede just after half time, and finally lose & concede even when they go down to 10 men.

We need the option to select all three though....

• Like 1

3 at the back has not worked for us for almos 20 years for some reason many have tried it but it always a disaster, constant  choping and changing is a sign of despeation,  I remember on sherwoods run to the sack He said “I’L keep chopping and changing till I get it right”  I’d like to think Smith knows what he's doing and not chopping and changing formations for the sake of it but at the same time I do agree he is way to stubborn with the 4-3-3 ,we had an identity last season dont know where its gone

Just popping in to say that from Tuesday I’m off on holiday for two weeks. I’ll miss this game, along with the Fulham and Leicester cup games and Man City. I’m determined to forget about football while I’m away, I don’t want to bring my holiday down by getting annoyed about it. I just hope that when I get back we’ve not lost every game and have a new striker. 

Will we get a result at Burnley? Who knows, it depends which Villa turn up. If it’s the same effort we’ve seen over the last few games then we’ll lose. But there’s always hope we’ll find the win somehow, that somehow being a moment of magic from Grealish... again. 

23 minutes ago, It's Your Round said:

Just popping in to say that from Tuesday I’m off on holiday for two weeks. I’ll miss this game, along with the Fulham and Leicester cup games and Man City. I’m determined to forget about football while I’m away, I don’t want to bring my holiday down by getting annoyed about it. I just hope that when I get back we’ve not lost every game and have a new striker. 

Will we get a result at Burnley? Who knows, it depends which Villa turn up. If it’s the same effort we’ve seen over the last few games then we’ll lose. But there’s always hope we’ll find the win somehow, that somehow being a moment of magic from Grealish... again. 

enjoy your holiday mate - i don't expect much will have changed when you return .

UTV

• Thanks 1