Pre match thread

lukesmith17

Hopefully Mings will be back - Really tough fixture for us as our back 4 will be really tested aerially . I was hoping after the Southampton game for a response  then the Norwich game  then the Watford game . We were poor in all. Maybe we will see something different at Burnley..

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Blasterpocket68 said:

Hopefully Mings will be back - Really tough fixture for us as our back 4 will be really tested aerially . I was hoping after the Southampton game for a response  then the Norwich game  then the Watford game . We were poor in all. Maybe we will see something different at Burnley..

I just hope he sticks with our best header of the ball ..Hause

Edited by TRO

10 hours ago, WakefieldVillan said:

Fear this one will go the same way as the Sheffield United and Watford games where we could get out-worked, out-muscled and out-thought. Man for man, I believe we are at least as good as they are and we possess the best player on the pitch by some distance BUT we need to go out there and dare I say it "roll up wor sleeves"! 

Crucial that we have Mings back, just as much for his leadership qualities as is playing abilities. I think Kodjia or Davis (if fit) needs to start because Smith ain't doing himself any favours by sticking with Wesley. Apart from big Wes I do think Smith as a rule has been trying to play players who have done well in the previous game and omit ones that have been poor, but for whatever reason the ones that start each game are just not consistently playing well.

I'd like to see either a 3-5-2 or a 4-2-3-1 formation to (at least) give something else a try, because the current formation is just not working and we are conceding way too many efforts on goal.

Although Jack can play anywhere, with McGinn out he needs to play central.

Depending on certain individuals fitness I'd go either;

Heaton

Konsa  Engels  Mings 

Guilbert                    Targett 

Luiz    Nakamba 

Grealish

Davis    Kodjia 

Or;

Heaton

Guilbert Engels Mings  Hause

Luiz   Nakamba  Hourihane 

Grealish 

Davis     Kodjia 

They love Bullying us in the air with Woods-Rodriguz-Barnes.

He has to play Hause surerly?

3-5-2 or 5-3-2

Edited by TRO

11 minutes ago, TRO said:

I just hope he sticks with our best header of the ball ..Hause

Is he really that good at it? People were falling our themselves to praise him and Konsa after the Norwich game but majority of chances Norwich created in that game were because crosses and corners weren't headed away or properly cleared.

As soon as we went away to a semi hostile environment they crumbled and weren't even under that huge pressure.

If Mings and Engels are fit they start. So does Gullibert. I'd probably go back to Taylor aswell if he's fit but if not then Hause (given Targett won't be fit).

The back 4s we started in Norwich and Watford games simply isn't good enough to survive, it's something we'd put out in the championship and no one would blink.

8 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

Is he really that good at it? People were falling our themselves to praise him and Konsa after the Norwich game but majority of chances Norwich created in that game were because crosses and corners weren't headed away or properly cleared.

As soon as we went away to a semi hostile environment they crumbled and weren't even under that huge pressure.

If Mings and Engels are fit they start. So does Gullibert. I'd probably go back to Taylor aswell if he's fit but if not then Hause (given Targett won't be fit).

The back 4s we started in Norwich and Watford games simply isn't good enough to survive, it's something we'd put out in the championship and no one would blink.

Yeah.....well he gets his head to it and propels it away from Danger and challenges......that's more then the rest can do.

so who wasn't cutting out the crosses?.....when I played full back, that was my main job, cut out the crosses.

but where was Engels and Gulibert when Shane Long skinned them?.....out of position.

They are all riddled with errors.

I thought Hause won  many headers against Norwich....didn't see the Watford game, too scared to look.

Edited by TRO

Somewhere between 3 and 5 nil to Burnley. At least two conceded from corners. Westwood to look like Xavi, Tarkowski to look like Puyol  and Barnes to look like Drogba. 

We need major changes and have to give Chester a start. 

Heaton

Guilbert Chester Konsa Hause

Nakamba 

Hourihane Luiz

Grealish

Davis Kodjia 

I've been looking at this season's stats to find some insight into what lies ahead, so here goes:

- Burnley are 19th in passes this season (Villa 18th), so we may see some of the ball. Most games this season I believe we've lost the possession battle even though Smith's game should be based on possession. 

- Burnley have kept 7 clean sheets this season (joint 1st in PL) so scoring could be a problem, even with our lethal Brazilian international striker up front.

- Burnley have lost 10 games this season (joint 3rd in PL) - at home this season they have won 5 and lost 5. 

- Burnley have had 0 red cards this season, which is a MAJOR boost for us.

- Burnley have had the least shots in the PL (Villa 7th) - they have still scored 2 more goals (25) than Villa (23). AKA Wesley is ****

- Burnley are 2nd in offsides this season. It would suggest they play a striker on the last man quite often. Given Villa tend to play a high line this could spell trouble with through balls or long balls.

- Burnley are 11th on home form, Villa are 20th on away form

- Strange one here, but at home Villa have a definite left-sided dominance to their play (42% left, 34% right, 2nd in PL) - away from home Villa drop to a more even 37% to 36% left-right split (17th in PL). Away from home we have the joint highest attacks through the centre (28%). Arguably it makes us less predictable but the fact it is so different away from home makes me wonder what the hell the game plan is? Clearly at home we are trying to get the ball to Grealish on the wing, but away from home it's not clear what we're trying to do.

I would guess we need aerial presence and pace at centre back to deal with the attacking threat of Burnley. Hopefully attacking full backs can bomb forward and join the attack, particularly Targett. Burnley have the lowest right-side attacks at home in the league (31%, compared to 42% left side). If he can link up with Grealish then we can create chances. Can't promise Wesley will score, but that would be my plan at least. 

3 points would be massive. A big defeat could be Smith's last game, which would be a sorry end to a fairy-tale appointment. 

• Like 2

We're gonna get bullied off the park again 😢

I don't know what's more soul crushing, the toothless footballing sides who couldn't score goals under Lambert and McLeish or this soft team that can score but just can't keep them out.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, VillaChris said:

Completely agree with this, if we can field that back 4 then we should do it.