Pre match thread

lukesmith17

Their main threat and our main weakness is crosses/corners. Hause is the best we have at defensive headers so he plays and even if Mings is fit, Hause should be left back.

Grealish back in the middle and Hourihane back on the bench. Hopefully Keinan is fit for this.

Heaton 

Gilbert   Konsa Mings  Hause

Nakamba

El Ghazi  Grealish Luiz  Trezeguet     

Davis (if fit)

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Brumstopdogs said:

Jay Rodriguez vs Villa -- what could possibly go wrong?

spacer.png

Cheating word removed. Hope he gets snapped in half.

Won't happen though, even though I broke both legs on my "word removed Criminal Small Heath Scum " Deeney voodoo doll and nothing happened.

The BBC preview makes depressing reading:

Aston Villa

• Villa have the division's worst away record, registering one win and four points from 10 games.
  • The 5-1 victory at Norwich in October is their solitary triumph in 28 Premier League away matches.
  • Dean Smith's side have lost eight of their past 11 league fixtures home and away.
  • All but one of the 18 points earned by Aston Villa have come against sides currently 10th or lower in the table.
  • They are unbeaten in nine league matches on New Year's Day since a 0-1 loss at Chelsea in 2001.
  • Aston Villa have conceded a league-high 25 goals after half time this season.
  • No side has let in as many Premier League goals from headers (9) or corners (8) as Villa this season.
  • Forward Wesley has failed to score in any of his past 12 league appearances.

image.gif

4 hours ago, Delphinho123 said:

If he doesn’t drop Wesley for this match I’m happy to see Smith fall on his sword. I don’t think he’s been given much of a chance with the players we’ve signed, but his reluctance to drop the car crash that is Wesley is getting us relegated. 

Im not happy to sit by and watch the manager, Villa fan or not, consistently pick someone who can’t play football. 

He won’t change it though of course. 

wesley not the only reason we in this position and is not the only problem that we have got! 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, villalad21 said:

Win or bust for Smith.

Not a bigger game for Villa than the play-off final but, strangely, possibly a bigger game for Smith (defeat at Wembley would not have threatened his job). He may have infuriated me at times this season but I sincerely hope he can navigate a way out of this mess. The clock is ticking though.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, M_Afro said:

Things can change very quickly in football. I have been very optimistic ahead of our recent games and it has got us nowhere. Therefore I am predicting a 4-0 win to Burnley, all 4 own goals by Wesley. What do I know!

All headers

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

5 hours ago, Ouchmefoot said:

The BBC preview makes depressing reading:

Aston Villa

• Villa have the division's worst away record, registering one win and four points from 10 games.
  • The 5-1 victory at Norwich in October is their solitary triumph in 28 Premier League away matches.
  • Dean Smith's side have lost eight of their past 11 league fixtures home and away.
  • All but one of the 18 points earned by Aston Villa have come against sides currently 10th or lower in the table.
  • They are unbeaten in nine league matches on New Year's Day since a 0-1 loss at Chelsea in 2001.
  • Aston Villa have conceded a league-high 25 goals after half time this season.
  • No side has let in as many Premier League goals from headers (9) or corners (8) as Villa this season.
  • Forward Wesley has failed to score in any of his past 12 league appearances.

image.gif

Depressing is right.

26 minutes ago, sir_gary_cahill said:

My side for this match would be:

Heaton 

Guilbert Engels Mings Targett

Luiz Nakamba Grealish

Trézéguet Wesley El Ghazi

Bench: Steer, Elmohamady, Konsa, Taylor, Hourihane, Jota, Davis

You’d play an injured Targett and include Steer despite him being out until March?

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

3 minutes ago, Robbie09 said:

You’d play an injured Targett and include Steer despite him being out until March?

Thanks for letting me know, I haven’t been keeping up with the injury situation. In that case, I’d play Taylor at left back, he’d offer a bit more solidarity in defence hopefully. I’d have Nyland on the bench too, what would your team be Robbie09?

Edited by sir_gary_cahill

Since Burnley play the 2 big men up top (and I think we are in need of a change/of something different) I'd go 3-5-2;

Heaton

Engels Mings Hause 

Guilbert Luiz Jack Nakamba Taylor

Wesley Kodjia

(We need a win but I'd take a point)

Oh and Happy New Year!! 

Heaton

Guilbert Engles Mings Hause

Nakamba

Trez     Luiz     Grealish   El Ghazi

Kodjia

Edited by supermon

I think it will be a draw. I would love a win to kick start a much more successful decade but I just can’t see it. We had our chance to break our away jinx at 10 man Watford and totally screwed it up!

I think Smith will go with the usual formation with Heaton, Elmo, Engels, Mings, Taylor, Nakamba, Luiz, Connor, Jack, AEG, Wesley.

I would play 5-3-2 with Heaton, Elmo, Engels, Mings, Hause, Guilbert, Nakamba, Luiz, Jack, Davis, Wesley (all depending on fitness).

The above gets much more height in the team for set pieces both in attack and defence. We will need the added physicality against Burnley

Anyone but Neil Taylor at left back today please, I can’t watch him try and play football again. 

If Mings is back I’d really like to see a back 3 but there’s very little chance Smith does that.