Unpopular Opinions

maqroll

2 hours ago, Seat68 said:

I like Peter Kay, I find him funny. I loved Car Share and Phoenix nights was gold. I can take his stand up in small doses but even that I find funny. 

Phoenix nights was co-written with Dave Spikey and Neil Fitzmaurice. I think they got a bit annoyed when it was labelled 'peter kay's phoenix night' and have never worked with him again. Other than car share haven't been a fan of his work since. He also did the worst cockney accent since Dick Van Dyke in Cradle to Grave.

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

recorded music is like food and drink for me, I cannot imagine life without it

Absolutely. If it was a substance, I'd be addicted to it. There are plenty of times when I genuinely crave it, or more accurately crave particular music by particular artists. The rest of the time, I either want music on even if it's just radio 6, or want some silence (rare) or am doing something else (watching cricket or whatever on the telly). 

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, The Fun Factory said:

Phoenix nights was co-written with Dave Spikey and Neil Fitzmaurice. I think they got a bit annoyed when it was labelled 'peter kay's phoenix night' and have never worked with him again. Other than car share haven't been a fan of his work since. He also did the worst cockney accent since Dick Van Dyke in Cradle to Grave.

As much as I liked Cradle to the grave, that accent was a shocker. 

1 hour ago, blandy said:

Absolutely. If it was a substance, I'd be addicted to it. There are plenty of times when I genuinely crave it, or more accurately crave particular music by particular artists. The rest of the time, I either want music on even if it's just radio 6, or want some silence (rare) or am doing something else (watching cricket or whatever on the telly). 

This definitely but for me its also about my Tinnitus, I rarely ever have silence, haven't for decades because the Tinnitus is just there. Music removes the ringing noise by giving the brain something else to concentrate on so I don't notice the ringing, I'll even have background music on if I'm reading

• Like 3

1 hour ago, bickster said:

This definitely but for me its also about my Tinnitus, I rarely ever have silence, haven't for decades because the Tinnitus is just there. Music removes the ringing noise by giving the brain something else to concentrate on so I don't notice the ringing, I'll even have background music on if I'm reading

Yeah, I hadn’t even realised I had it until I casually mentioned to the missus one day that the music blocked out the noise.

I need to concentrate right now, so I’ve got Future Sound of London banging away.

• Like 4

I generally like Peter Kay's output. Phoenix Nights, Max and Paddy and Car Share are all funny. His stand up, although a bit one note ("What's all that about" or "Who remembers Rola Cola" etc), it does make me laugh every now and again. He's very good at the old observational humour. 

Onto the music - I like it, but i'm not one to sit down and listen to a new album from a band I don't know. I don't have the patience. I generally have a narrow view of music - I like what I like and very rarely listen to anything from the last 20 years. Today for example, Pink Floyd and Black Sabbath. I'm not fussed about going to gigs or festivals. 

8 hours ago, HanoiVillan said:

I'm finding it hard to believe that there has suddenly, over just a couple of months, been an epidemic of hundreds of people being stuck with needles in nightclubs . . . it feels like one of those mass delusion stories, but maybe I'm wrong. What I know for sure is it's hard to say this without sounding like you're dismissing victims.

I agree and also about your point about dismissing victims. I'd never want to do that, but I can't see a situation where men have suddenly turned into syringe wielding sex pests. I have no doubt the odd one has happened and its awful, but loads? I'm finding it hard to reconcile. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, bickster said:

It can set mine off, tbh. Sometimes I have to give it a rest to let it (or try to let it) go away. But also sometimes, like you say silence means I notice it more.

49 minutes ago, Xela said:

I agree and also about your point about dismissing victims. I'd never want to do that, but I can't see a situation where men have suddenly turned into syringe wielding sex pests. I have no doubt the odd one has happened and its awful, but loads? I'm finding it hard to reconcile. 

Yeah, I can definitely believe there are a sadly large number of sex pests out there, but it's the 'syringe wielding' part that is hard to believe, at least in any volume. Every time I've seen an expert quoted on this - which has not been in the majority of media stories about it - they have made points like 'you would have to work really carefully to get the right balance of drugs in the syringe' and 'in order for it to have a pharmacological impact, the syringe would have to be in the woman's body for an implausibly long period of time' and 'if you wanted to drug somebody, there would be half a dozen easier ways to do it' (none of these are direct quotes, but that's the gist).

• Like 1

6 hours ago, bickster said:

Just reading the reply to this post reminded me it was there. If I am concentrating on something it seems to fade in the background.

• 5 weeks later...

Red bounty is a tier 1 chocolate bar 

Its also one of the few chocolate bars that the yanks do better, almond joy and mounds are great 

Edit - and I would say it's milky way but in Germany we get mini crispy rolls so they go from worst to first, snickers, twix nor Mars aren't up to much at that size

Edited by villa4europe

1 hour ago, Paddywhack said:

Bounty bars aren’t the worst thing in a box of celebrations.

2nd worst behind Milky Way. 

Malteasers being the champions. 

Â