Unpopular Opinions

maqroll

10 hours ago, villa4europe said:

Vindaloo isnt a great english football song, its somehow put in the same bracket as 3 lions and world in motion

its a contender for one of the worst songs ever written

I like it. Not enough to play it specifically, but its ok. 

Three lions is best though, by far. 

AppropriateRemoteBull-max-1mb.gif

8 hours ago, Mark Albrighton said:

At least “Three Lions” was written by people who followed the game and was a sincere attempt to capture the “ok, we’re a bit shit and we’re going to lose…but just maybe…” sense you get with football.

I’m not a fan of the phrase “It’s coming home” essentially being used as (not so) shorthand for “we’re going to win this football tournament”. But I’d much rather have that then people hilariously doing the John Barnes rap or telling me about “buckets of vindaloo”.

Three Lions was just perfect. The right song at the right time. It rode the wave of Cool Britannia, Brit-pop and the emergence of New Labour. It was an optimistic and good time to be around. Happier days IMO, but that may just be rose tinted specs. 

I was 17 during Euro 96 and 19 when the song was re-released in '98 for the WC and working in Central Brum. It was a great time for me and the song brings back brilliant memories of two fun packed summers. 

I still think Three Lions sounds fresh today. 

• Like 4

4 hours ago, Seat68 said:

This **** abomination. 

Love those Umbro England shirts though. That's what a proper England shirt is. 

4 minutes ago, Xela said:

Three Lions was just perfect. The right song at the right time. It rode the wave of Cool Britannia, Brit-pop and the emergence of New Labour. It was an optimistic and good time to be around. Happier days IMO, but that may just be rose tinted specs. 

I was 17 during Euro 96 and 19 when the song was re-released in '98 for the WC and working in Central Brum. It was a great time for me and the song brings back brilliant memories of two fun packed summers. 

I still think Three Lions sounds fresh today. 

Yeah I'd say it's one of the catchiest pop tunes of the 90s, let alone football songs.  Watching that video you can see Chris Sharrock on drums, and Zak Starkey did the 98 one, both future Oasis drummers.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, sharkyvilla said:

Watching that video you can see Chris Sharrock on drums, and Zak Starkey did the 98 one, both future Oasis drummers.

Both drummers in the Icicle Works you mean?

• Like 1

Only just found out today that Sven Sven Sven by Bell and Spurling was re-done in 2018 as Gareth Gareth Gareth. 

The original was a bit weird but at least had some charm and novelty value, but this is an abomination and quite rightly never got off the ground. 

• Sad 1

• 2 weeks later...

Drinking in hot weather isn’t all it’s cracked up to be.

That first ice-cool beer is nice, but the ones after that usually get too warm, it’s not refreshing and I usually end up with a headache.

I’d rather binge on rowntree’s fruit stacks.

• Like 1

i once lined a day up on holiday in egypt, all inclusive hotel, been there 2 days in 40 degree heat and i said to the missus tomorrow im going for it, beers early cocktails late, first beer at about 10.30am, i was in bed by about 1pm with early feelings of heat stroke, if id had gone any longer i would have been in trouble

• Like 1

On 05/07/2021 at 21:04, rjw63 said:

Pretty much all football songs are shite

Depends on the mood. The Holte - End in full voice can certainly lift the spirits. "Holte - Enders in the sky " used to do it for me, until they changed the way it was sung. The older version was much better.

I also remember us scoring against Blues at Villa Park and then listening to the whole of the Holte singing, to the tune of Banana Rama, " Nana, nana, nanna, nana, hey, hey ,Aston Villa ." That was in the eighties and I remember it like yesterday, such was the impression it left. 

The Holte's favorite song always used to be

"one Gareth Barry

There's only one Pablo Angel

One Lee Hennnnnnndrie,

There's only one Dion Dubbbbblin...

One James Milner,

There's only one Olof Mellberg" etc etc.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, sheepyvillian said:

listening to the whole of the Holte singing, to the tune of Banana Rama, " Nana, nana, nanna, nana, hey, hey ,Aston Villa ."

To the tune of Steam's "Na Na, Hey Hey, Kiss Him Goodbye", actually. 

• Like 1

How unpopular of an opinion can I get away with?

Here goes.

I don't see any distinction between animals and humans, physiologically speaking. We're all made of the same stuff but we've got the biggest brains and have managed to become top of the food chain and planet wreckers due to being able to make and use tools. So mammals such as sheep, pigs, dogs and cows are the same as us but have lower intelligence and haven't evolved thumbs so can't easily make and use tools.

Therefore, if killing a cow which has a human comparable mental age of about 4 years old and feels fear, emotion, pain, etc is OK, why is it that OK but killing a human is very much murder?

Why do people bond so much with dogs while tucking into their beefburger? Why do people go so mad about puppy farms while drinking milk from cow farms where the exact same things and worse happen?

I know, it's always happened and it's always how we've done it etc but there's huge amounts of double standards everywhere. I ate meat for 40 years so I was also involved in this but I've never tried to find weak excuses to justify it and always accepted I was a hypocrite.

• Like 1

Â