Unpopular Opinions

maqroll

On 29/10/2021 at 11:16, Straggler said:

It has come to my attention that I do have an unpopular opinion.  I think all music is boring.  I don't listen to it.  I don't ban it or anything, I don't hate it, I just can't be bothered about it.  The idea of actually listening to an album as an activity is very alien to me, I can't really imagine music as anything other than background whilst something else is happening.  Concert going is rubbish, I may as well stick my TV at the other end of my garden and squint at it as I blast my ears at an unpleasant level with my headphones on to replicate the experience.  I think I've given the whole thing a fair crack, I've been to all sorts of events from Glastonbury to the Gypsy Kings and the main thing I took away from them is that I don't want to do any of those things again.  It's a very expensive way of hearing the same music you have already heard, but not produced at the same standard as the carefully crafted studio album (which I'm also not going to listen to).

My wife loves music, so It's around me all the time and I do find some of it better than other bits, but if I'm home alone I'd much rather listen to a podcast than stick music on.

I'm not sure that is as unusual as people tend to think.

I don't know many people who listen to music for its own sake, and most people just seem to like the memories that a particular piece of music tends to evoke.

I also think that as people age their ability to experience pleasure diminishes.

• Shocked 1

8 minutes ago, MakemineVanilla said:

I'm not sure that is as unusual as people tend to think.

I don't know many people who listen to music for its own sake, and most people just seem to like the memories that a particular piece of music tends to evoke.

I also think that as people age their ability to experience pleasure diminishes.

I don’t know a single person who doesn’t actively listen to and love music 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Xela said:

2nd worst behind Milky Way. 

Malteasers being the champions. 

I’d put Bounty and Milky Way near the top of my preferences and Maltesers at the bottom (I used to like them, but something about where the chocolate meets the honeycomb sets my teeth on edge these days).

The upshot of all this is there won’t be any problems should we find ourselves sharing a Celebrations tub this Christmas.

• Like 1

I know people that aren’t really into music. Once I find that out, they kind of leave me feeling a bit cold. Not sure why that is. I’ve definitely got to be in the mood to listen to music . If I’m not then I’d rather none be played at all . I’ve never been a massive gig person. Would rather listen to an LP in the bedroom. By the time I’m finished on eBay in the next few days I’ll be £200 shy I bet.  Each to their own. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Mark Albrighton said:

I’d put Bounty and Milky Way near the top of my preferences and Maltesers at the bottom (I used to like them, but something about where the chocolate meets the honeycomb sets my teeth on edge these days).

The upshot of all this is there won’t be any problems should we find ourselves sharing a Celebrations tub this Christmas.

I have the same problem with Maltesers. Loved them years ago but they give me an horrible feeling on my teeth . I love crunchies though. 

• Like 1

I don't like live music, it's like listening to music but worse.

I like books, but I don't think I'd enjoy standing in a room with a hundred other people all reading the same book out loud at the same time in a typeface that's blurrier than the one I have at home.

In fairness, it might not be live music I don't like, it might be people.

Although I don't mind them at the football.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, Rugeley Villa said:

I know people that aren’t really into music. Once I find that out, they kind of leave me feeling a bit cold. Not sure why that is.

Agreed, and to not be in complete contradiction to my previous post I mean someone I’ve talked to who said they don’t really like music rather than someone i „know”

10 minutes ago, MakemineVanilla said:

So what about my theory that a person's taste for music is established between adolescence and early adulthood, and that, they are more or less get stuck with whatever they were exposed to at that time?

Well I can only speak for myself, but I’ve bought some weird shit this year that younger me wouldn’t have gone anywhere near.

Although, I do still dislike the same stuff I disliked 40 years ago, so perhaps there is something in it.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Mark Albrighton said:

You can charm your young nieces and nephews by blowing a Malteaser up in the air and making it hover a few inches above your mouth.  Try that with a **** Bounty.

I don't really get golf or appreciate wine on more than the most basic level, but it's the way you've gone about developing your brain, innit.

21 minutes ago, MakemineVanilla said:

So what about my theory that a person's taste for music is established between adolescence and early adulthood, and that, they are more or less get stuck with whatever they were exposed to at that time?

Pretty much the default for a lot of people.

52 minutes ago, MakemineVanilla said:

Just a guess, but I suspect it's neither right nor wrong, in that you can probably find a lot of cases either way. I kind of believe a softer version of that, that there are sort of well-trodden paths that people who start in one place are more likely to go down. I like atonal and noise music a lot, and a lot of the people who like that type of music seem to have come the same route as me, through techno and other club music.

All I can speak of my own experience, but there's very little of what I liked when I was a student that I don't still like today, but there's a lot I listen to now I wouldn't have listened to then.

• Like 2

Â