The Hung Like a Donkey General Election December 2019 Thread

Jareth

Which Cunch of Bunts are you voting for?  

141 members have voted

1. 1. Which Cunch of Bunts Gets Your Hard Fought Cross

• The Evil Abusers Of The Working Man Dark Blue Team
    • The Hopelessly Divided Unicorn Chasing Red Team
    • The Couldn't Trust Them Even You Wanted To Yellow Team
    • The Demagogue Worshiping Light Blue Corportation
    • The Hippy Drippy Green Team
    • One of the Parties In The Occupied Territories That Hates England
    • I Live In Northern Ireland And My Choice Is Dictated By The Leader Of A Cult
    • I'm Out There And Found Someone Else To Vote For

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 12/12/19 at 23:00

9 minutes ago, MCU said:

small cleaning business owner has 10 workers on minimum wage, if labour get in he’ll have to pay them all £10 an hour, ultimately sacking many off as he’s not making profit.

why am I gonna vote for a party who supports lazy people? 

And the Tories living wage pleadge is £10.50.  All parties are going to at the least review this.  Really shouldn't be the reason to choose between them.

Just now, snowychap said:

Indeed.

A majority of one may as well be a majority of a hundred (illnesses and pairing commitments being ripped up notwithstanding).

If the majority is small enough there may still be enough rebels left to at least stop a no-deal Brexit.  (That's all I've got as a silver lining.)

15 minutes ago, MCU said:

small cleaning business owner has 10 workers on minimum wage, if labour get in he’ll have to pay them all £10 an hour, ultimately sacking many off as he’s not making profit.

why am I gonna vote for a party who supports lazy people?

Cleaners are lazy, eh?

What about those binmen?  Nurses?  All just lazy?

**** hell :D

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

Well that's a classic tory voting belief isn't it. **** everyone else and make sure it's all about me. 

The idea that Boris Johnson would care about a supervisor earning £14 an hour suggests he's been duped  

I'd also expect an employer that had to add £1-£2 onto their minimum wage employees would need to do similar to the others up the pay scale, otherwise there'd be chaos.

53 minutes ago, MCU said:

An increase in labour costs can be accommodated in different ways than merely a reduction in the workforce (price increases, efficiencies elsewhere, reduced dividends/profit take by shareholders).

Edited by snowychap
eek - spelling
  • Like 3

35 minutes ago, StefanAVFC said:

Does he think the policy only applies to McDonalds workers? **** me.

It would push him upwards too. He wouldn't be left on 10 quid an hour whilst a burger flipper gets 15.

Senseless. Duped.

I think you very well know he doesn't think this only applies at McDonalds.

The point Stefan is making is that by pushing minimum wage up so much it will make his brother closer to the poorer minimum wage workers. Although he may get a rise | would doubt it would be around the same % increase, this then pushes his economical standing down and closer to the poorest rather than the rich. When companies increase prices on products to compensate for the wage rise he will in fact be worse off.

I also don't think that Stefan agrees with his brother however he is not wrong that this is the way a lot of people think, a few of my friends earning around the same bracket are also voting Tory for the same reasons as above. I don't think they have been duped it is just the way some peoples minds work, i get the logic behind it but its not the way of progression

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, hippo said:

The Exit polls have been very accurate in recent times though ? 

This is true, but it isn't a law of nature. The prediction that comes out can only be as good as the data that goes in, and if the data going in this year is worse . . .

4 minutes ago, rubberman said:

If the majority is small enough there may still be enough rebels left to at least stop a no-deal Brexit.  (That's all I've got as a silver lining.)

I don't think there's much of a chance of that. The Tory intake from this election will consist of headbangers and sheep. Once the WAB is passed, they'll have wider scoppe to change legislation without recourse to Parliament via SIs. Even beyond that they'lll have huge scope to change the nature of government and institutions further (that's the desire of Cummings et al. over and above leaving the EU) and there will be very little rumbling from anyone within the party otherwise they'll be out very, very quickly.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, bobzy said:

That's seriously bonkers.  I can't even get my head around how messed up that thinking is.

He's angry at Corbyn because he's going to try and allow people who earn not-very-much, to earn more?  He doesn't want Labour to come into power because people who earn less than him will benefit?  I mean, what the **** is that?

To be honest, this is a general problem with society.  It's just selfish.  Your brother is concerned that voting for a party who will improve the prospects for society as a whole will reduce the gap between the amount he earns over those he supervises.  Surely he should be chuffed that the people he manages will be better off?

But no.  No, it's just resentment.  The same way people bang on about "scroungers" - as if living on **** all but claiming benefits is something to aspire to.

Country is **** mate.

100%

The way poor and vulnerable people are convinced to turn on each other is a masterclass in manipulation.

And you're right we are **** if so many people allow themselves to be duped into it.

• Like 2

Kind of looking forward - in a half-curious, half-dreading kind of way - to seeing which way my constituency goes.

Affluent area - but quite split in sub-areas between left-wing hippies and people who have more money than sense - which voted 57% in favour of Remain and has had Ken Clarke as MP since the 60's.  Tory vote has strengthened over recent years, but everyone liked Ken.  Labour trampled all over Lib Dem/Green/UKIP votes last time round and saw a massive surge.  Wonder if it will continue, or if Lib Dems are going to re-surge and ensure Tory stability.

12 minutes ago, snowychap said:

I don't think there's much of a chance of that. The Tory intake from this election will consist of headbangers and sheep. Once the WAB is passed, they'll have wider scoppe to change legislation without recourse to Parliament via SIs. Even beyond that they'lll have huge scope to change the nature of government and institutions further (that's the desire of Cummings et al. over and above leaving the EU) and there will be very little rumbling from anyone within the party otherwise they'll be out very, very quickly.

Yeah - I'm trying not to think about that.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, hippo said:

Point still stands - He is paying them a pittance to keep his business profitable - If he can't pay them a reasonable wage the business can go bump. 

Thing is, it's not as simple as Labour paint it.

Because the cleaner will earn minimal and baker will earn minimal.

If we artificially (via legislation) increase the wages of both, the prices in both places will go up to keep the profits up. 

And 3/4 years into the term, the cleaner will wonder how is it possible that I am now earning £10 an hour but I still have little money? 

You guessed it. Because he had to pay £3 for a loaf of bread.

Edited by Mic09
  • Like 1