January Transfers 2019/20

sne

3 hours ago, Tommo_b said:

Is Slimani good? 

I think he has been really good for Algeria, remember him scoring a couple of good goals in the 2014 WC. Didn't seem to hit off in the PL though, hard to say if he isn't good enough or if he needed more time to settle and adjust to the tempo. From what he has showed in the national team I would give him another chance, this time he knows about the PL and the demands. Physically wise he should be able to cope, technically as well. I'd guess it's a question of coming in during the right circumstances if he will be a hit or not, coming in to us in a relegation battle playing with a quite isolated striker at times I'm not so sure.

Considering we don't have any strikers and how many other PL teams there are who are looking for a striker now I would say Slimani is among the best we can hope for. I'd be all for bringing him in, epecially if it's on a loan. 

Edited by Keener window-cleaner
  • Like 2

20 minutes ago, Mat Kendrick's Dentist said:

Without getting bogged down in more Wesley stuff, Slimani is a far better player

On what basis might I ask?

The only grounds for comparison I see is to measure their respective records in the PL and Wesley has a better goal ratio and is younger (I think).

So how is Slimani categorically better? 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, bannedfromHandV said:

On what basis might I ask?

The only grounds for comparison I see is to measure their respective records in the PL and Wesley has a better goal ratio and is younger (I think).

So how is Slimani categorically better? 

Having watched both of them play, there's a significant difference in their ability. With Leicester, Slimani was mainly a substitute behind Vardy, which I think you'll agree is understandable, particularly given they were still playing a counter attacking style at that stage.

Slimani is a far better all-round striker, but if you insist on comparing their Premier League goalscoring records, Slimani got 8 in 1500 minutes (1 every 187 mins), while Wesley has 5 in 1790 (1 every 358 mins).

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Mat Kendrick's Dentist said:

Having watched both of them play, there's a significant difference in their ability. With Leicester, Slimani was mainly a substitute behind Vardy, which I think you'll agree is understandable, particularly given they were still playing a counter attacking style at that stage.

Slimani is a far better all-round striker, but if you insist on comparing their Premier League goalscoring records, Slimani got 8 in 1500 minutes (1 every 187 mins), while Wesley has 5 in 1790 (1 every 358 mins).

Fair enough, I stand corrected obviously.

• Like 4

31 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

Why would they let him go?

edit: just realised he’s actually on loan to them. 

Loaned until June as well it seems.  I'm not sure how and why he would be coming to us in January but he would definitely be an asset for us.

1 hour ago, bannedfromHandV said:

Have man, could have.

Could of makes no sense.

Sorry for being a dick but I'm sick of seeing it. 

*sigh*

You must be a lot of fun at parties.

I'll edit the original post for the sake of your sanity, and be sure to have my Shakespeare coursework to you by the end of the week...

3 minutes ago, sharkyvilla said:

Loaned until June as well it seems.  I'm not sure how and why he would be coming to us in January but he would definitely be an asset for us.

Monaco changed tactics a while back under Jardim and went with just 1 attacker.

When Moreno came in he continued with that approach so Slimani has seen his game time reduced and is unhappy about it so is looking for a move somewhere else.

• Like 2

624220640_Screenshot_20200115-1842532.thumb.png.1904ffa6c0e47ea66ea00539c4830116.png

This is floating round twitter today, don't know where figures come from.

They look like whoscored numbers.

He's better at everything except I would guess hard running which Wes got through a lot of.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Tomaszk said:

624220640_Screenshot_20200115-1842532.thumb.png.1904ffa6c0e47ea66ea00539c4830116.png

This is floating round twitter today, don't know where figures come from.

They look like whoscored numbers.

He's better at everything except I would guess hard running which Wes got through a lot of.

Here's what it looks like when you just look at them at the 9. That chart is from understat.com.

Screen Shot 2020-01-15 at 1.02.28 PM.png

I think Reina is a big upgrade for us. Drinkwater adds very little but hopefully he will prove me wrong. Slimani and Nzonzi both big upgrades and should make a big difference. That would still leave us very one paced though. We need some serious forward gas from somewhere 

• Like 2

Dean Smith said that we're waiting until the end of the window as that's when prices come down...wait a minute...  'prices come down'... that means we're buying a striker, not loaning one... unless we're buying one and loaning one in as well.