January Transfers 2019/20

sne

3 hours ago, sne said:

Is he someone who for £10m would improve a side like us?

Is he even better than Jota? Would he be in front or behind in the pecking order of El Ghazi and Trez?

Do we have £10m to blow on a squad player in Jan considering we might need an additional striker and a winger upgrade?

We need a squad. Our first XI is good. 

Edited by dont_do_it_doug.

3 hours ago, sne said:

Is he someone who for £10m would improve a side like us?

Is he even better than Jota? Would he be in front or behind in the pecking order of El Ghazi and Trez?

Do we have £10m to blow on a squad player in Jan considering we might need an additional striker and a winger upgrade?

Winger upgrade on who? El Ghazi? 

We don't need an upgrade, we need more options. 

Wallace didn't get an assist this season until October 26th and only got two assists last season, for a winger doesn't sound great, and players in that position often struggle transitioning from the championship to the premier league as it is, El Ghazi is a rare exception. If we're going to sign a winger from the championship I think it has to be someone who performs exceptionally in that league, or is young with a lot potential. I'd be surprised if there was any truth to the Wallace rumors.

4 minutes ago, dont_do_it_doug. said:

Winger upgrade on who? El Ghazi? 

We don't need an upgrade, we need more options. 

Why would we spend such big money and sign players who are inferior to the ones we have?

Grealish plays on the left meaning we already have El ghazi, Trez and Jota to compete for the right side spot.

So yes, if we decide to sign a winger it would be for an upgrade on El ghazi imo. 

I think whatever money we have should be spent on an additional striker thou.

But the Benrahma links are still bubbling I guess.

Edited by sne
  • Like 1

The Algerian Messi from Brentford for 20m and a striker and we are okay until the summer. Then we bring in another 2 FB's(both sides) release Elmo and Taylor and we will start to look a little more naughty imo. Pace is what we need now imo so we can utilise the counter attacking side of our game more to stretch teams.

4 minutes ago, sne said:

Why would we spend such big money and sign players who are inferior to the ones we have?

Because it's our first year in the Premier League, we have a need and it's January. 

And £10m isn't "big money"

Edited by dont_do_it_doug.

Just now, dont_do_it_doug. said:

Because it's our first year in the Premier League, we have a need and it's January. 

And £10m isn't "big money"

For a 4th (or 5th) choice winger, yeah it is.

2 minutes ago, avfc1982am said:

The Algerian Messi from Brentford for 20m and a striker and we are okay until the summer. Then we bring in another 2 FB's(both sides) release Elmo and Taylor and we will start to look a little more naughty imo. Pace is what we need now imo so we can utilise the counter attacking side of our game more to stretch teams.

I don't think Benrahma is the right fit. Obviously he's a supremely talented footballer but the 'without the ball' side of his game isn't there. It's miles off the standard IMO.

Trezeguet is great on the ball and his end product has stepped up, but he is awful when we don't have it. Why sign another Trez when it's the opposite of what we actually need?

2 minutes ago, sne said:

For a 4th (or 5th) choice winger, yeah it is.

That doesn't change the fact that we need one. A slightly different one, one who will do the defensive side of the game too. 

£10m is chump change in the PL now so whatever, tbh. Get the player they want. 

Just now, dont_do_it_doug. said:

I don't think Benrahma is the right fit. Obviously he's a supremely talented footballer but the 'without the ball' side of his game isn't there. It's miles off the standard IMO.

Trezeguet is great on the ball and his end product has stepped up, but he is awful when we don't have it. Why sign another Trez when it's the opposite of what we actually need?

Because personally I think Benrahma has more intelligence with the ball. He's trickier more 2 footed and more self assured. I'm not saying he is anywhere near the finished article either, at 23-24, but I do think he can play anywhere across the front and middle to good effect. I also think he is more settled in the UK being here longer and will allow us to develop other players rather than have too much of a a reliance on them. Especially in the business end of the season. It's all about options for me. Like you said we have a decent 11, not a decent 23 though. I think there are very few game changers on the bench that can come on and take it to the opposition when we need to. Benrahma has that in his locker imo.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, dont_do_it_doug. said:

That doesn't change the fact that we need one. A slightly different one, one who will do the defensive side of the game too. 

£10m is chump change in the PL now so whatever, tbh. Get the player they want. 

Will be great if we decide to play a more attacking version of the Steve Bruce play all the RB's formation.

Play all the wingers :D 

currently our 25 man PL squad contains only 23 senior players, 4 of which are keepers so there is still room for 2 more.

And I guess Kodjia and Kalinic for example might move in Jan. But we can't just add players willy nilly.

Do we seriously not have a single young academy player that can fill in as options at any position? 

Seems like every other PL club has at least the odd one.

19 minutes ago, Keyblade said:

Interested in a loan move for Iheanacho apparently. I'm all for that. Having 3 young strikers compete for a starting spot could be great.

No brainer for me, I suggested him on here a few months ago and was shot down

Iheanacho a strange one. Looked impressive at City but has looked hopeless at Leicester and doesn’t really fit in there. I’m also not convinced he is what we need, he is more suited to a sub impact role but I think we actually need a decent 9 to start with. 

Sell kodjia in Jan.

In Jan Buy striker, winger/inside forward, and if any money left a left back (possibly to develop and backup to Targett, or directly challenge targett).

In the summer sign 4 players  (not accounting for anyone who leaves as I don't know who will leave), right back to challenge Guilbert, a left back to challenge targett (if we didn't buy one in Jan), a midfielder to add depth and challenge the current central 3, and a marquee forward (who can play anywhere a cross the front 3 preferably).

Anything else is a bonus?