January Transfers 2019/20

sne

We'd be so good with a good striker, greater than the sum of our parts.

There'd be a big upturn even with just an average striker as well to be honest. Someone that can join in with play. I'm sure we could pickup someone cheap like Grant or Hydra if Kodjia moves on and it'll be a great option.

Few Benrahma rumours this weekend.

We might look to bring in a few players, which is great, but we need to absolutely prioritise a striker. Hope we are.

If we bring in only a winger it'll create the extra competition for places but open up the Grealish position debate again. Unless there's a plan to try El Ghazi up front, which would be a welcome experiment for me.

57 minutes ago, Tomaszk said:

Few Benrahma rumours this weekend.

We might look to bring in a few players, which is great, but we need to absolutely prioritise a striker. Hope we are.

If we bring in only a winger it'll create the extra competition for places but open up the Grealish position debate again. Unless there's a plan to try El Ghazi up front, which would be a welcome experiment for me.

I often think he would be good up front, I think it would suit his game. But I imagine the management team, who know a lot more than me, would have thought of that if it was a good idea.

Bowen scores again tonight. I notice that Smith said at the weekend that Grealish wants to move back to midfield and that he will play there again but thinks he's better out wide for now. Which made me wonder if the plan is to buy a wide forward in January and move Grealish back into midfield.

• Like 1

I would absolutely love us to go and out and sign Benrahma BUT would also like us to bring in Jarred Bowen - see he has scored again tonight (his twelfth for the season!!!) - who will be on a free at the end of the year.  And I believe his dad is a Villa fan.  Benrahma and Bowen either side of a top striker would be awesome, with Jack at "10".  Equally, Bowen could potentially play as a "9"/false "9", with the amount of goals he collects. 

Bowen will definitely be moving to the PL, far too good for Hull and that league. We should certainly be interested, with his contract up next summer he'd be available at a knock down price but there'll be a few others in for him. 

In the last three seasons he's scored 49 goals in 106 games for Hull in the Championship as a winger and he's only 22. Certainly a goal threat. 

Bowen has 18 months on his deal with an extension due.

Hull need to play this smart.

Do they think they can get up? If so, don't sell.

If they're not sure, Bowen's price will never be higher than in January you wouldn't think. I'd be stunned if he kept up this rate of scoring all season long from the wing, for not a fantastic side.

Didn't see tonight but he's always looked like an effective player rather than one that's easy on the eye.

It's such an obvious transfer, with him covering the exact two positions we need, if we don't go in for him I can only think the manager doesn't like the look of him.

On 26/11/2019 at 19:26, HKP90 said:

Who’s likely to be out of favour at Spuds now Jose is there? Anyone know much about their squad?

Troy Parrott was knocking on the door under Pochettino. Irish striker who's highly regarded - much more so than Connolly at Brighton. Probably not likely to get a chance under Jose.

Think we all look at players and think he will do like Bowen but there is more to it than stats from our decision makers.  The stats need to be backed up by the players character I believe.  Will they fit in and be a team player on and off the pitch.

So obvious signings to us may not have the required minerals to be a Villa player under the current regime.

Will be exciting/frustrating to see who we sign and who we don't based on this.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, useless said:

Bowen scores again tonight. I notice that Smith said at the weekend that Grealish wants to move back to midfield and that he will play there again but thinks he's better out wide for now. Which made me wonder if the plan is to buy a wide forward in January and move Grealish back into midfield.

I don't get it to be honest, I think personally that Grealish has been WAY more effective playing as the left inside forward.

He may like playing CM but he has been playing best in the left/cutting inside position.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, MaVilla said:

I don't get it to be honest, I think personally that Grealish has been WAY more effective playing as the left inside forward.

He may like playing CM but he has been playing best in the left/cutting inside position.

I think that is because mcginn plays very high up the pitch. If grealish moves back to the centre mcginn has to be told to play deeper. He can still get forward but he needs to bring the ball up, have more off the ball movement and make himself available for the short pass at all times. We would still need someone to take free kick which in this side is needed. 

Plus we haven't tried jack as a central midfielder with targett only Taylor.

Even if we signed 2 winger forwards I would probably line up like this

McGinn--nakamba--hourihane

El Ghazi--Forward 1--Grealish

Bench Wes, Forward 2, Lansbury, Luiz, Hause, Elmo/Konsa, Keeper.

Obviously we would need a good rotation with trez, El ghazi wes and both forwards to keep teams on their toes. I also think wes will improve substantially between now and the end of the season. You can already see the improvements in his game and hopefully that continues now that he is getting more games under his belt.

12 hours ago, barry'sboots said:

I would absolutely love us to go and out and sign Benrahma BUT would also like us to bring in Jarred Bowen - see he has scored again tonight (his twelfth for the season!!!) - who will be on a free at the end of the year.  And I believe his dad is a Villa fan.  Benrahma and Bowen either side of a top striker would be awesome, with Jack at "10".  Equally, Bowen could potentially play as a "9"/false "9", with the amount of goals he collects. 

Benrahama is a good player, but for the money they would be looking i think we can get better.

I'll put it this way, in a full strength starting 11 whose place would he take?  Dont say Wesley because he wouldnt, as they are two totally different players.  We are also probably talking 20-25 mill as well to get him.

11 hours ago, Tomaszk said:

Bowen has 18 months on his deal with an extension due.

Hull need to play this smart.

Do they think they can get up? If so, don't sell.

If they're not sure, Bowen's price will never be higher than in January you wouldn't think. I'd be stunned if he kept up this rate of scoring all season long from the wing, for not a fantastic side.

Didn't see tonight but he's always looked like an effective player rather than one that's easy on the eye.

It's such an obvious transfer, with him covering the exact two positions we need, if we don't go in for him I can only think the manager doesn't like the look of him.

His contract is up 30.06.20 with an option for a further year.

He's not just played on the wing he has played as a CF also this season, seems the perfect fit for us. Getting strongly linked with Newcastle in the media not us unfortunately.