January Transfers 2019/20

sne

6 minutes ago, sne said:

He turns 26 in March and has never played higher than Championship football.

Take a look around our squad not many have until this season, so he's 25 and if the fee is as low as 4-5m it's not going to affect the clubs value long term if it doesn't workout. 

Just now, zab6359 said:

Take a look around our squad not many have until this season, so he's 25 and if the fee is as low as 4-5m it's not going to affect the clubs value long term if it doesn't workout. 

And it shows from time to time.

The touted price is £10m, and yes the money adds up. 

Other than an additional LB, any money we spend in Jan should be to try and improve the starting 11 or to sign for the future, not to add a 5th choice wide player

• Like 1

Here are some comments from the Vital Millwall forum on Wallace...

' £10million would be hard to turn down. He isn't Premier League quality IMO, his final ball and decision making is terrible at times, but he's still our best player. '

' Not premier league quality.gives the ball away a lot , brain sometimes not in tune with his legs. Good for us though '

' Apart from dead ball situations, I feel that he misses too many chances. I'd take the money if the gossip is right about 10m. '

'Did we not reject 3m from Rangers previously? Yer when he had scored like 6 goals and got around 5 assists,this season he has done fuckall,we wont see that sort of price tag again'

' Not Premiership quality. I'll snap up £10m for him and sign a wide right player who can consistently get a cross/centre past the 1st defender and pickup overlapping wide left side players. '

His goals and assists record doesn't look great either apart from this past month or so and one season a few years back. I personally have never seen  him play but if all that's anything to go by I think we need to sign better if we team capable of progressing in the Premier league.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, sne said:

And it shows from time to time.

The touted price is £10m, and yes the money adds up. 

Other than an additional LB, any money we spend in Jan should be to try and improve the starting 11 or to sign for the future, not to add a 5th choice wide player

That's why I said a big fat no at that price 😉

Have to disagree we need to improve the squad not the starting 11 short term, the starting 11 is good enough to keep us in this league, it's when we get 2-3 injuries we will come unstuck that's where having strength in depth helps.

10 hours ago, sir_gary_cahill said:

We’re too good for loans now all of a sudden? 

No, but it's not the business model we're going for.

We want our own players to develop and increase their value so we gain profit.

Compared to getting in a bunch of loan signings, improve another clubs player for them to say "Thanks for improving our player now pay more for him if you want to sign him". That's a terrible business model.

For instance. I don't think Mings was worth 20 mill when we initially loaned him, but since we improved him and he played well his value increased.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

Compared to getting in a bunch of loan signings, improve another clubs player for them to say "Thanks for improving our player now pay more for him if you want to sign him". That's a terrible business model.

For instance. I don't think Mings was worth 20 mill when we initially loaned him, but since we improved him and he played well his value increased.

That business model kinda crashes off a cliff if we are relegated thou.

And even with rich owners we as a club do not have unlimited funds and have already spent £135m this season so the odd loan to fix a hole in the squad might not be the worst thing.

Edit: Loans played an integral part in getting us promoted, and we are currently far from a position where we can scoff at the benefit of loaning players.

Edited by sne
  • Like 4

32 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

If the player improves the first xi or squad then I would have no hesitation in taking a loan deal. Would you have turned down Kyle Walker because it was a loan deal all of those years ago?

23 minutes ago, sne said:

That business model kinda crashes off a cliff if we are relegated thou.

And even with rich owners we as a club do not have unlimited funds and have already spent £135m this season so the odd loan to fix a hole in the squad might not be the worst thing.

That's why we got rich owners now.

If we get desperate enough we will buy players not make loan deals.

Purslow even said we won't be making any loan deals in the future so i don't get why we are discussing it. It ain't happening.

Edited by villalad21
  • Like 1

Just now, villalad21 said:

That's why we got rich owners now.

If we get desperate enough we will buy players not make loan deals.

So the business model is "ask mommy and daddy for more trust fund money"

I think the Wallace rumour is complete bull to be honest, wouldn't improve us at all. The only signings from the Championship who would push for a first team place would be Benrahma, Bowen, Mitrovic or Phillips, and their clubs would all ask for ridiculous money I'd imagine. 

I'd like to see us continue the good scouting work we put in over the summer and going for young players that can really improve under our coaching staff. Players like Osimhen, Olmo, Ajer, Berge, Verschaeren and Malen are all showing they are too good for their leagues and are destined for bigger things - those are the types of players I'd like us to be looking at. 

Edited by VillaFaninLondon
  • Like 3

I do think one or two of us underestimate the reach of our owners, and the understated, quiet, nature of their ambition. It’s all opinion, of course, but I’d say that if there was a player that was obtainable in January that could take us to the next Premier League level, then the owners would have no hesitation in securing that player. For me, that player is currently looking very much like Mitrovic. Ticks a lot of boxes. Good age at 25. Already settled in country having been here for 4yrs. Up to speed with English football. Strong. Scores lots of goals. Has matured from a young hot head. On an upward curve not too dissimilar to our own Jack Grealish. Yes it would take a big offer to prise him away from Fulham in January with them wanting promotion, but surely someone will try? A more effective front man could transform our performances and push us to Level2 in the Premier League, where we’re currently operating somewhere between L3/L4. 

I really don't think we will completely rule out the idea of loans in the January window. 

If we have a striker in mind that we want to sign (which I suspect we do) but it turns out we can't sign him til the summer, there's no harm in dipping into the loan market to fill a gap if there's a good option available. Is it short-ism thinking? Sure. But sometimes you need that. It's low risk but low reward too. If we were blessed with talent in our Academy to come in it wouldn't be much of an issue but that doesn't appear to be the case. 

Edited by PieFacE
  • Like 1

These so called super rich owners need to be left in no doubt about this situation we are in. A long term injury to Grealish and we could easily not win another game this season.

The work rate we have to put in just to get draws against brighton and manu is phenomanal.

Spunking a huge wad of cash on a darren bent style signing will:

a) send shockwaves throughout the football world that Villa are serious about doing something

2)boost morale in the sqaud. Gilebert and Angels will no longer be the new boys and have to worry about jack and john's practical jokes.

q)competition for the shirt would benefit wesley.

We've been bummed hard by the loan system. seeing Abraham kissing that chelsea badge makes me sick to my jappa. If he'd gone to any other  club last season who didn't create any chances he would still be in the champ today. If he'd gone to Wolves back in jan my guess he would be out on loan in the championship right now.

Klop has being sayin Ryan Kent is this and pep has been saying foden is that yet they never play. I would not take another prem clubs youngster on loan ever again.

If Jordan Sancho was available for loan from where ever he plays in europe this could be a nice deal. but I think they actually give him game time so I dont expect he would return.

• Haha 2
  • Confused 1

53 minutes ago, screwdriver said:

These so called super rich owners need to be left in no doubt about this situation we are in. A long term injury to Grealish and we could easily not win another game this season.

The work rate we have to put in just to get draws against brighton and manu is phenomanal.

Spunking a huge wad of cash on a darren bent style signing will:

a) send shockwaves throughout the football world that Villa are serious about doing something

2)boost morale in the sqaud. Gilebert and Angels will no longer be the new boys and have to worry about jack and john's practical jokes.

q)competition for the shirt would benefit wesley.

We've been bummed hard by the loan system. seeing Abraham kissing that chelsea badge makes me sick to my jappa. If he'd gone to any other  club last season who didn't create any chances he would still be in the champ today. If he'd gone to Wolves back in jan my guess he would be out on loan in the championship right now.

Klop has being sayin Ryan Kent is this and pep has been saying foden is that yet they never play. I would not take another prem clubs youngster on loan ever again.

If Jordan Sancho was available for loan from where ever he plays in europe this could be a nice deal. but I think they actually give him game time so I dont expect he would return.

Bildresultat för not sure if serious the joker

Edit: Sorry that was rude of me to answer with just a pic but there is just so much wrong with this post.

a) To begin with we are not in position yet to sign any player that will send chock waves through football. That would mean getting someone like Haaland in front of the big clubs. Wet Span getting Haller or Newcastle signing Joelinton for £40m a pop hardly sent chock waves. At most a raised eyebrow and a giggle. 

As for your point 2) and q) :D :blink: I'm uncertain about your listing system. a), 2), q) is new to me.

Abraham wanting to play for Chelsea, the club he belonged to his entire career is surely not surprising or sickening. 

Fair enough you don't want to loan other PL-clubs young players. But considering how far we are behind Plop or City in term of squad quality and finances. They have players on their rosters that would absolutely improve us short term. 

As for Sancho on loan, yeah I don't see him coming here on loan in January.

Edited by sne
  • Haha 1

59 minutes ago, OxfordVillan said:

I do think one or two of us underestimate the reach of our owners, and the understated, quiet, nature of their ambition. It’s all opinion, of course, but I’d say that if there was a player that was obtainable in January that could take us to the next Premier League level, then the owners would have no hesitation in securing that player. For me, that player is currently looking very much like Mitrovic. Ticks a lot of boxes. Good age at 25. Already settled in country having been here for 4yrs. Up to speed with English football. Strong. Scores lots of goals. Has matured from a young hot head. On an upward curve not too dissimilar to our own Jack Grealish. Yes it would take a big offer to prise him away from Fulham in January with them wanting promotion, but surely someone will try? A more effective front man could transform our performances and push us to Level2 in the Premier League, where we’re currently operating somewhere between L3/L4. 

Completely agree with this.

I would break the bank to sign Mitrovic in January, I think he would in fit in perfectly to our team and would score a lot of goals in the second half of the season. If that's what it takes to stay in the Premier League next season it would be more than worthwhile.

17 minutes ago, screwdriver said:

he's at Dortmund....and in trouble there, attitude problems, late for training more than once, poor performances too, they've hinted at him being available if someone from the PL came in with the type of silly money that PL clubs have, he's got man utd written all over him

maybe one for the grealish thread but forget the guaranteed comparisons to mount and Maddison or the daft ones like rice and Delph, if southgate sees him as a winger (which he said he did) he has the problem that odoi blatantly wasn't ready in the last game and that Sancho is having a bad year, I don't think English fans who rave about him know how poor he can be at times

• Like 2