January Transfers 2019/20

sne

1 minute ago, dudevillaisnice said:

Iheanacho a strange one. Looked impressive at City but has looked hopeless at Leicester and doesn’t really fit in there. I’m also not convinced he is what we need, he is more suited to a sub impact role but I think we actually need a decent 9 to start with. 

To be fair the goal he scored against Everton was classy, very composed.

5 minutes ago, dudevillaisnice said:

Iheanacho a strange one. Looked impressive at City but has looked hopeless at Leicester and doesn’t really fit in there. I’m also not convinced he is what we need, he is more suited to a sub impact role but I think we actually need a decent 9 to start with. 

Like who?

Greg Evans has doubled down saying that unless we sell kodjia to bring in funds we are only. Going after a cheap winger or striker in January. Said No bowen or Morelos.

Whilst I think this may be the club trying to lower the price for players we inquire after it does seem reasonable that this could be true especially if Davis comes back raring to go. However we currently have 2 spare squad slots to me that says we are going to sign at least 1 more player after they worked out what we were missing and potentially the last one free for either a loan recall or good free agent signing. If we do sign a championship winger I think we should recall Green and send him back on loan as a sort of placeholder. 

A loan deal in our position would probably be a smart move imo. It's always harder to buy players in Jan, plus we don't know if we're going to still be playing in the Premier League next season. 

I trust the board to be sensible and make the right call.

• Like 3

Howard Hodgson and Jonny Gould also said on their podcast we can't really spend much.

We absolutely just must get a striker. Every other position can wait until next summer.

Outside shout for Ivan Toney from Peterborough, I reckon we could get him for less than £5m.

• Like 2

A while back, Swansea gave us a bit of cash and Neil Taylor for Jordan Ayew. Wouldn't it be wonderful if we could give someone a bit of cash and Neil Taylor for a good striker.

Not very likely, of course, but I'm going to daydream anyway.

• Like 1

Bit of a fantasy punt here, but would be excellent if we were targeting the kind of talented, promising player that would work primarily, at least first of all, as more of an impact sub.  Someone to shake the game up a bit, breathe a little new life into those tricky final quarters and tear at the ragged but somewhat steadfast rhythms you can often get as the game moves into its final stretch.

• Like 1

Striker is without a doubt the toughest purchase out there. Mitrovic from Fulham is proven but would probably cost 35+ while Bowen from Hull may be the real thing but it looks like 20mil to find out. Possibly a loan deal for Iheanacho from Leicester could be worked out as the lad isn't playing too much.

9 hours ago, sne said:

Why would we spend such big money and sign players who are inferior to the ones we have?

Grealish plays on the left meaning we already have El ghazi, Trez and Jota to compete for the right side spot.

So yes, if we decide to sign a winger it would be for an upgrade on El ghazi imo. 

I think whatever money we have should be spent on an additional striker thou.

But the Benrahma links are still bubbling I guess.

We do need a winger though as Jack needs to come back into midfield at some point, Benrahma is the obvious choice but not sure it's going to happen in January. As you say a striker is a priority right now Wes needs the competition.

I know there are lots of rumors about not much money being spent in Jan, but if we don't bring in a striker even it's just a loan I will be really disappointed as it will show lack of ambition and wanting to push on.

7 hours ago, Tomaszk said:

No problem as long as there's an agreed fee in there if the player flys like Mings.

I guess this is true. 

But whatever the club may be saying it's unthinkable we're not getting a striker. Not getting one would be everyone from top to bottom are absolute amateurs and I refuse to believe that. 

Purslow has ruled out loan deals without an opinion to buy. Just a loan    is short termism and hurts Villa in the long term. Smith’s major attribute is that he improves players. From a business point of view we need them to be Villa players. We think of Kyle Walker, Robbie Keane etc as being successful loans but ultimately those loans and the other less successful ones contributed to the long term decline of the club. They were part of the long term debasement of the value of our football squad both in monetary and football value. 

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, dont_do_it_doug. said:

How about £8m?

We have to be realistic, he's a decent young player with potential that fit's in with what the management are trying to do. But he a championship player at a mid table team and his contract expires next summer (unless Millwall have some sort of option) IF we are actually interested in him and it's not just paper talk they should be testing the water with a £4-5m bid. 

7 hours ago, HanoiVillan said:

A while back, Swansea gave us a bit of cash and Neil Taylor for Jordan Ayew. Wouldn't it be wonderful if we could give someone a bit of cash and Neil Taylor for a good striker.

Not very likely, of course, but I'm going to daydream anyway.

I'd give someone cash to take Taylor!

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, zab6359 said:

We have to be realistic, he's a decent young player with potential that fit's in with what the management are trying to do. But he a championship player at a mid table team and his contract expires next summer (unless Millwall have some sort of option) IF we are actually interested in him and it's not just paper talk they should be testing the water with a £4-5m bid. 

He turns 26 in March and has never played higher than Championship football.

• Like 1

Had a look on the Millwall forum and most of them are saying that Wallace is not premier league quality and they'd take £10m in an instant. Some are even harsher than that, we need to be careful not to fall into the trap of signing players just because they're having a good month or so, we made that mistake with Hogan.

Edited by useless
  • Like 1