January Transfers 2019/20

sne

13 hours ago, useless said:

Wilson has only scored one more goal than Wesley having played more minutes, and also has the benefit of knowing this country, the league, and having played with his teammates for a few seasons now. He's was being linked with a £50m move to Chelsea in the last January transfer window, the guardian reported that Bournemouth wanted £75m, and they'd probably be less inclined to sell him to us bearing in mind we're potentially relegation rivals.

Agree he would cost at least 60 million with clauses making that potentially 70 million. It think we could attract him, but would also need to offer at least 150k of wages and a minimum 4 year contract. 

The ambition of the club is the key here! My feeling is that it is risk given his injury record and value. Would be a real statement though. If this was going to happen it probably would've happened in the summer, or next summer.

Edited by Philosopher

Wilson? No **** chance.

We have a lot to do regardless, we do not create enough chances full stop. A player like Wilson needs service, he's not the sort that will conjure things out of nothing. We currently have a style of play that appears to require a forward who can make something out of nothing. 

• Like 1

not a chance

in January if we're flirting with relegation still definitely not a chance

if it was the difference between mid table and a top 7 / cup push then you can see a team doing it but that risk near the bottom would be madness, that's why I think we wont get an experienced good PL striker, they don't grow on trees and they don't go for cheap, I cant even think of one slumming it on the bench of a top team that we could get, batshauyi maybe at a push but his record isn't great

2 hours ago, villa4europe said:

for £70m and £150k a week id rather tell haaland he can treat us as a 2 year stepping stone

Pretty sure Tom Fox using the 'stepping stone' selling technique to Ayew/Veretout/Amavi/Traore/Gana etc. would have been one of the reasons we didn't much out of them when they did come.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

2 hours ago, Dr_Pangloss said:

Wilson? No **** chance.

We have a lot to do regardless, we do not create enough chances full stop. A player like Wilson needs service, he's not the sort that will conjure things out of nothing. We currently have a style of play that appears to require a forward who can make something out of nothing. 

It may seem that way but stats suggest we are mid-table in terms of chances created.  It would help if we had a striker with better movement. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, villa4europe said:

not a chance

in January if we're flirting with relegation still definitely not a chance

if it was the difference between mid table and a top 7 / cup push then you can see a team doing it but that risk near the bottom would be madness, that's why I think we wont get an experienced good PL striker, they don't grow on trees and they don't go for cheap, I cant even think of one slumming it on the bench of a top team that we could get, batshauyi maybe at a push but his record isn't great

I’d take Batshauyi on a loan.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, El-Reacho said:

Pretty sure Tom Fox using the 'stepping stone' selling technique to Ayew/Veretout/Amavi/Traore/Gana etc. would have been one of the reasons we didn't much out of them when they did come.

I mean, wouldn't that motivate them to actually do well at Villa since they're trying to be spotted by bigger clubs? Its not like they wouldn't have had the desire.

If my memory serves me correct, Amavi and Gana were good for us anyway whilst Ayew was okay but never that good. It was only Veretout that was a complete failure during his time with us for some reason. 

Edited by Laughable Chimp

31 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

I’d take Batshauyi on a loan.

so would I, loan to buy if possible but not a clue how much Chelsea would want for us to buy him outright, I would guess too much and he'd be on a decent wage, we'd need a deal that protected us against being lumbered with him should the worst happen yet we do ok out if it if he's a success

like I said he's the best PL striker I can think of that you could get a half sensible deal for

• Like 2

Batshuayi on loan with an option to buy in summer 2020 for say £25mil would be a great bit of business. He's coming into his prime and if he was a regular starter I could see him getting minimum 15 league goals a season for us. I'd take Wilson or King too but doubt Bournemouth would sell either, particularly Wilson. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, VillaFaninLondon said:

Batshuayi on loan with an option to buy in summer 2020 for say £25mil would be a great bit of business. He's coming into his prime and if he was a regular starter I could see him getting minimum 15 league goals a season for us. I'd take Wilson or King too but doubt Bournemouth would sell either, particularly Wilson. 

Bournemouth got 25m from us for a centre half that we had for 6 months who'd barely played a minute for them. I dread to think what wilson or king would be, I'd take either.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, cheltenham_villa said:

Bournemouth got 25m from us for a centre half that we had for 6 months who'd barely played a minute for them. I dread to think what wilson or king would be, I'd take either.

Exactly, Howe certainly knows what he's doing. Given Mings wasn't part of his plans and he got £25mil for him, you'd be looking at £40-50mil for King and £60-70mil for Wilson I'd say seeing as they're both pretty key men. Maybe a bit more. 

The problems with Batshuayi are a] every team in the bottom half has the same idea, and b] he comes off the bench pretty regularly for them, and they still can't replace him in January, and c] Lampard clearly doesn't rate Giroud. 

For these reasons, I doubt Batshuayi will be going anywhere in January. We'll have to look abroad for a striker, or to the Championship. 

I would snap Chelsea's hand off for Giroud, 7 million.

Giroud up front gives something for the whole team to work off, he's fantastic in the air, can hold the ball up, scores goals and would be the perfect player for Wesley & Davis to learn from and improve their game.

7 million is a now an absolute steal, and means we should have enough money left in the bank to strengthen the wings or midfield to provide more chances for the front line. A winger with a bit of consistent quality would be fantastic, but as the weeks go on the biggest problem we have is Grealish not being fit and so finding a player who can replace his quality in some way would go a long way to getting points on the board.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Philosopher said:

Giroud is pointless what we need is a high work rate pace merchant like Vardy. 3 striker that are all target men plus a Kodja, No thanks!

Batshuayi is poor, was crap at palace last season.

I quite like him. Always thought he's been decent for Chelsea in what has largely been sub appearances, he was terrific at Dortmond and has been terrific for Belgium of late. Poor at Palace and Valencia though, but overall would definitely have him here.

6 minutes ago, Philosopher said:

Giroud is pointless what we need is a high work rate pace merchant like Vardy. 3 striker that are all target men plus a Kodja, No thanks!

Batshuayi is poor, was crap at palace last season.

5 goals in 11 games at Palace, would hardly say that's crap. His goal record for Belgium, Dortmund and Marseilles shows he is a prolific frontman if playing regularly with decent service.

Agree with you about a pacy forward though - that's something we lack. A younger version of Jamie Vardy would be ideal. 

• Like 1

Batshuayi scored five goals in eleven appearances for Palace, he's also scored two goals this season for Chelsea in less than 90 minutes worth of football. I imagine he'd cost quite a bit more than £25m though.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, El-Reacho said:

Lolz!!!!!! Funny how all of those mentioned bar Traore gave more to the cause than the established players already at the club the season we went down. I'm pretty sure if they hadn't shown anything not one of them would have improved on their careers. Funny how they all have, including Traore. Crazy comment.