January Transfers 2019/20

sne

17 minutes ago, useless said:

One thing that seems to be missing from Bowen's game is assists, two this season, four last season, and one the season before last, for a winger/wide forward that's not a very good return.

I think you are correct as per, his goal return is excellent though but like you say I don’t think he’s an out and out centre forward, more of a wide forward, it’s something that we lack I think. Bowen seems a perfect fit for us, let’s see in January 

1 hour ago, TRO said:

I find it puzzling that we can sign players from The championship with grave doubts on their suitability and sign players from Foreign clubs with impunity.

is ignorance bliss or are we just blind to the quality of foreign leagues.

There are rakes of examples of players making the step up from the championship, with success and players there right now that are arguably in the wrong League.

Depends what you what to do really long term. We can stay up no problem with 3-4 excellent guys from the championship combined with likes of Grealish and McGinn. I imagine the long term goal of owners is to challenge for minimum europa league place which is what Wolves and Leicester are doing.

If you look at Leicester transfer strategy they combine signing best prospects from lower leagues (Maddison, Gray etc) with some up and coming players from abroad. Ricardo Pereria who was regular at Porto and now first choice for Portugal, Denis Praet experienced ion Seria A and Soyuncu who took a year to settle but now looks a good CB. Add in the odd dreaded "premier league experienced" player like Johnny Evans and Ayoze Perez and that's a very very good transfer mix imo and it's reaping dividends for them this season so far.

We all saw in the MON days just limiting yourself to pretty much signing domestic players does have limits in run ins to the season and also all the endless home games we'd draw in those seasons.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, useless said:

One thing that seems to be missing from Bowen's game is assists, two this season, four last season, and one the season before last, for a winger/wide forward that's not a very good return.

Thats why I don't rate him as highly as many on here, whenever I watch him all he wants to do is cut inside and shoot. 

I think he would really struggle in the Premier League as he would be up against defenders who wouldnt fall for that week in week out.

Not saying he's anywhere near as skilfull as Zaha, but thats why Zaha struggles to score and get assists - he never wants to pass in the final 3rd

• Like 2

20 hours ago, VillaChris said:

Depends what you what to do really long term. We can stay up no problem with 3-4 excellent guys from the championship combined with likes of Grealish and McGinn. I imagine the long term goal of owners is to challenge for minimum europa league place which is what Wolves and Leicester are doing.

If you look at Leicester transfer strategy they combine signing best prospects from lower leagues (Maddison, Gray etc) with some up and coming players from abroad. Ricardo Pereria who was regular at Porto and now first choice for Portugal, Denis Praet experienced ion Seria A and Soyuncu who took a year to settle but now looks a good CB. Add in the odd dreaded "premier league experienced" player like Johnny Evans and Ayoze Perez and that's a very very good transfer mix imo and it's reaping dividends for them this season so far.

We all saw in the MON days just limiting yourself to pretty much signing domestic players does have limits in run ins to the season and also all the endless home games we'd draw in those seasons.

Yes, I agree.

18 hours ago, Junxs said:

Thats why I don't rate him as highly as many on here, whenever I watch him all he wants to do is cut inside and shoot. 

I think he would really struggle in the Premier League as he would be up against defenders who wouldnt fall for that week in week out.

Not saying he's anywhere near as skilfull as Zaha, but thats why Zaha struggles to score and get assists - he never wants to pass in the final 3rd

Good observation....fair comment.

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, VillaFaninLondon said:

I think Leicester as a football club are run extremely well. Leicester's transfer strategy has been fantastic and they have mixed up their signings:

• Ambitious signings like Pereira, signed from Porto when Leicester were midtable and Porto CL contenders, and Tielemans was a real coup given his age and potential
  • Very good young Championship players with the potential to step up – e.g. Maddison who has become a key player but also squad players like Gray who is useful for them
  • Lesser known foreign players from overseas like Soyuncu and Ndidi
  • Solid and ‘safer’ PL signings like Evans and Perez
  • Bringing through exciting academy players like Chilwell and Barnes, for example

They’ve also sold key players at a premium. Maguire for £80mil was ludicrous but they held Man U to ransom, the same with Mahrez (to a lesser extent) and Drinkwater (mugged Chelsea off). Kante they probably never wish they’d sold but they still made a very tidy profit on him after one season.

Some of their more ambitious signings have actually failed though – e.g. Iheanacho and Adrien Silva, who they paid a lot of money for. They’ve also spent a hell of a lot of money over the years and clearly have strong financial backing from their owners, but then again so do we. I personally feel Leicester is a club we should be looking to take notes from, the way they’ve established themselves in the PL after coming up a few years ago is extraordinary and they’ve also won a PL title in that time. They are a very exciting team. 

Good post. Also worth noting this is their 4th manager since getting promoted. I’m hoping Smith is the man that can lead us for many years. But it also may be the case that he can only take us so far.

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

Good post. Also worth noting this is their 4th manager since getting promoted. I’m hoping Smith is the man that can lead us for many years. But it also may be the case that he can only take us so far.

Let's say we want top 4 eventually and not just put it as a marketing tool. Lots of things need to come together for it to happen.

You need to have top quality manager in place. Majority of your signings need to work and gel with your current best players. You need to have defined style of play that works for you.

When you think back to 07-10 we actually had all of those things. MON for all his faults was used to competiting at the highest level given he qualified Leicester to europe a couple of times, had won cups and was in CL every year with Celtic. Again our counter attacking style wasn't to everyone's tast but it worked to the extent we were fantastic away from home and were averaging 60 + points a year. And guys like Young, Milner and Carew were coming in and linking up well with Barry and Laursen.

Despite all that we still couldn't make it despite having good positions deep in 2009 and 10 seasons. Not for the first time we lacked belief at a critical stage which is something Leicester probably won't struggle with given they won the flipping league less than four years ago so top 4 won't be seen as that huge a deal.

The bigger problem was our approach was really just built for that manager and set of players. We had no real clue how to replace MON given the wildly different approaches from the next three managers who came in and we also had a disaster trying to replace the key players who left in 2010 and 2011, also hoped half our youth team would develop into very good premier league players but the reality is very different. As mentioned above Leicester have made far better approach to letting likes of Kante and Mahrez go and still pushing on.

Anyway it's a long road and let's make sure we stay up first as then things can get done more quickly.

• Like 2

On 19/10/2019 at 11:46, sne said:

Well he also scored a hattrick against that team from Gibraltar in the Europa League qualification...

Glad he got that monkey off his back. 

On 17/10/2019 at 16:03, zab6359 said:

Bit of interest in young Nathan Ferguson at the baggies, having a decent season so far was a CB but has been playing at FB only 19.

Still think we should be seriously looking at this young man, talk of a move abroad maybe happening in January if he doesn't sign a new deal however, a cheeky 3 mil bid and he gets to stay in the midlands and develop some more at a bigger club. Can cover at both left & right back. 

On 18/11/2019 at 17:21, VillaFaninLondon said:

I think Leicester as a football club are run extremely well. Leicester's transfer strategy has been fantastic and they have mixed up their signings:

• Ambitious signings like Pereira, signed from Porto when Leicester were midtable and Porto CL contenders, and Tielemans was a real coup given his age and potential
  • Very good young Championship players with the potential to step up – e.g. Maddison who has become a key player but also squad players like Gray who is useful for them
  • Lesser known foreign players from overseas like Soyuncu and Ndidi
  • Solid and ‘safer’ PL signings like Evans and Perez
  • Bringing through exciting academy players like Chilwell and Barnes, for example

They’ve also sold key players at a premium. Maguire for £80mil was ludicrous but they held Man U to ransom, the same with Mahrez (to a lesser extent) and Drinkwater (mugged Chelsea off). Kante they probably never wish they’d sold but they still made a very tidy profit on him after one season.

Some of their more ambitious signings have actually failed though – e.g. Iheanacho and Adrien Silva, who they paid a lot of money for. They’ve also spent a hell of a lot of money over the years and clearly have strong financial backing from their owners, but then again so do we. I personally feel Leicester is a club we should be looking to take notes from, the way they’ve established themselves in the PL after coming up a few years ago is extraordinary and they’ve also won a PL title in that time. They are a very exciting team. 

very well put.....They have an tremendous ebullience about their play, I greatly admire.

as well as Ebere Eze we should look at his team-mate QPR's Irish 23 year old Left Wing Back: Ryan Manning.

Manning can also play Centre Midfield too. His contract expires in June 2020 as it currently stands

Very talented player and having a great season. 1 goal, 3 assists in 16 games so far this season.

Edited by Villan4Life
  • Like 1