January Transfers 2019/20

sne

2 hours ago, villa4europe said:

And me, I like him, decent player and obvious villa link but he'd be a £15-20m not guaranteed starter

Fwiw I think bowen is the same

Bowen has more about him in my opinion.  Also a lot younger. Haven’t seen him at all this season though.

Edited by Vive_La_Villa
  • Like 1

I see Calvin Stengs is on the bench for Netherlands I really hope we are scouting him 10 assists and nine goals already this season predominantly a right winger .
 https://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/calvin-stengs/profil/spieler/409344

here’s a tactical right up from last season 

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/totalfootballanalysis.com/player-analysis/calvin-stengs-az-alkmaar-tactical-analysis-statistics/amp

Stengs has all the tools required of a modern inverted winger.

• Explosive on the dribble cutting inside
  • Curling shot to the back post
  • Playmaking via through pass in behind
  • Bringing overlapping outside back into the play
  • Traditional get end line cross

The future is bright for the young Dutchman. Definitely a talent to keep an eye on in the coming years. He possesses a great left foot. Confidence on the dribble and ability to make weighted passes while playing at speed are attributes that cause him to stand out. 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, thabucks said:

I see Calvin Stengs is on the bench for Netherlands I really hope we are scouting him 10 assists and nine goals already this season predominantly a right winger .
 https://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/calvin-stengs/profil/spieler/409344

here’s a tactical right up from last season 

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/totalfootballanalysis.com/player-analysis/calvin-stengs-az-alkmaar-tactical-analysis-statistics/amp

Was trying to sign him for Villa on fifa last night funnily enough, stormed out when I offered £6.5m for him

Not sure how much of a secret he is

1 hour ago, KenjiOgiwara said:

Looks a bit slow on YouTube.

To me he's Snodgrass-esque. Not a huge amount of pace but carries the ball well and has relatively quick feet (Bowen's feet look quicker). Like Snodgrass he has a good left foot and creates chances with it. Contra Snodgrass he seems to be a better finisher and more of a goal threat.

I'd be up for signing him but would hope we're exhausting other options as well. We don't need to focus on the Championship.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Dr_Pangloss said:

To me he's Snodgrass-esque. Not a huge amount of pace but carries the ball well and has relatively quick feet (Bowen's feet look quicker). Like Snodgrass he has a good left foot and creates chances with it. Contra Snodgrass he seems to be a better finisher and more of a goal threat.

I'd be up for signing him but would hope we're exhausting other options as well. We don't need to focus on the Championship.

Why don’t we need to focus on The Championship? Are we all of a sudden above them? There’s a real possibility that we could end up back there this season. A lot of hidden gems can be found in The Championship. Bowen strikes me as a player that could play in The Premier League

11 minutes ago, sir_gary_cahill said:

Why don’t we need to focus on The Championship? Are we all of a sudden above them? There’s a real possibility that we could end up back there this season. A lot of hidden gems can be found in The Championship. Bowen strikes me as a player that could play in The Premier League

Yes, yes we are,

We got promoted last season, remember? :D

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, sir_gary_cahill said:

With a real possibility of relegation this season, Chris Wilder said at the beginning of the season that we wouldn’t even be in the mix

yeah we can absolutely go down.

Not sure stocking up on Championship players just in case is the way to go thou.

Usually comically expensive compared to other leagues.

Bowen is on an expiring contract thou so might be a solid squad option meaning we can get rid of Kodjia.

Still need either a quality winger on striker for me to feel comfortable. Bowen would be more of a squad filler.

Wilder was either clueless or spouting crap if he thought we wouldn't be in the mix for relegation. Of course we will be.

We've pretty much tried to build an entire squad in 2 months. Almost impossible to do even if you throw money at it. it takes time.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, sne said:

yeah we can absolutely go down.

Not sure stocking up on Championship players just in case is the way to go thou.

Usually comically expensive compared to other leagues.

Bowen is on an expiring contract thou so might be a solid squad option meaning we can get rid of Kodjia.

Still need either a quality winger on striker for me to feel comfortable. Bowen would be more of a squad filler.

Wilder was either clueless or spouting crap if he thought we wouldn't be in the mix for relegation. Of course we will be.

We've pretty much tried to build an entire squad in 2 months. Almost impossible to do even if you throw money at it. it takes time.

Obviously not stockpiling them, we tried that with Bruce when he signed Hogan and Grabban, we were close but it didn’t quite work out. A sprinkling of Championship players, stand out ones like Bowen who are at a good age not hasbeens like Grabban. I think Bowen would be perfect for us, he’s young and his contract is expiring, no brainer for me but there would be a lot of competition from other clubs, no doubt. From what I’ve seen of him which isn’t that much (YouTube videos and when Hull City played Villa at Villa Park last season when he scored), I’d go all out to sign him

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Dr_Pangloss said:

Personally, I don't think the championship is the issue....its the player himself and the environment he is being brought in to.

i.e I was amazed at the effect Lowton and Westwood has had at Burnley and Stevens at Sheff Utd.......but they have been brought in to teams with a high degree of aggression and tenacity  in their make up and in their demands....that was missing when they with us and dubbed in many quarters as lightweight, me included.

I am genuinely concerned, with our next signings, for these reasons in the main.....player application is required, out and out talent is not enough on its own....its not all about thuggery, Jack is not a hard and vicious tackler, but he is aggressive in his play and with himself to get a result.

Edited by TRO
  • Like 1

I find it puzzling that we can sign players from The championship with grave doubts on their suitability and sign players from Foreign clubs with impunity.

is ignorance bliss or are we just blind to the quality of foreign leagues.

There are rakes of examples of players making the step up from the championship, with success and players there right now that are arguably in the wrong League.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, TRO said:

I find it puzzling that we can sign players from The championship with grave doubts on their suitability and sign players from Foreign clubs with impunity.

is ignorance bliss or are we just blind to the quality of foreign leagues.

There are rakes of examples of players making the step up from the championship, with success and players there right now that are arguably in the wrong League.

To be fair we have doubts about most players we sign irrespective of the league they come from. 

• Like 1

I am not sure of Bowens Pace, but what I do like is his eye for goal.....and the consistency of it.

Players for me, who score regularly, have something else, they rarely drift through a game or switch off by distraction, they MAKE stuff happen....e.g Alan Shearer was a talented player, but moreover a monster of aggression, always driving himself to score....and bustling his way in to good positions, you have to ,to score so regularly.

someone who is not a centre forward who scores with the regularity he does.....needs to be taken seriously and looked at closely.

I like Bowen....I think he has the right character, to do us good.

just depends on the fee.

Edited by TRO
  • Like 1