January Transfers 2019/20

sne

12 minutes ago, Villan4Life said:

as well as Ebere Eze we should look at his team-mate QPR's Irish 23 year old Left Wing Back: Ryan Manning.

Manning can also play Centre Midfield too. His contract expires in June 2020 as it currently stands

Very talented player and having a great season. 1 goal, 3 assists in 16 games so far this season.

How he's not been in the Ireland squad I don't know.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Villan4Life said:

as well as Ebere Eze we should look at his team-mate QPR's Irish 23 year old Left Wing Back: Ryan Manning.

Manning can also play Centre Midfield too. His contract expires in June 2020 as it currently stands

Very talented player and having a great season. 1 goal, 3 assists in 16 games so far this season.

QPR will most likely be open to offers in Jan, not exactly flush right now are they!

No idea if these are made up links from agents to push players that wouldn't be good enough or genuine leaks suggesting we are looking at some cheaper options to bolster the squad while saving any big signings for the summer, but today I've seen links with:

Nicolas Gaitan as a wing option on a free. 31, but if the wages weren't stupid (coming from MLS so probably wouldn't be) he might agree to a 1 year or 18 month contract. I only know of him as I remember buying him on Football Manager from Benfica and he was a beast.

Christoph Monschein from Austria Wien. A 27 year old striker with 13 goals in 18 appearances this year. The 'report' (to be taken with a shovel of salt) suggests they need money so he could be available for 5m euros.

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, wilko154 said:

So let's assume the £130m or whatever we spent in the summer was "heavy spending". I think we can agree on that.

Then £20m-£35m in January would not be heavy spending in comparison but still a lot of money to bring in that winger or attacker we lack.

One can hope at least.

• Like 2

wouldnt be surprised if we didnt go mad in Jan, but we certainly need a forward player, even if its one player who can play forward or inside forward, ideally we need at least 2 (winger/forward), i would imagine with the way we look to purchase, 20-25m would cover that?

I'd normally say that in our situation we can't afford signing more players that aren't used to the pace of the PL, as we might not have enough to time to get them going to avoid relegation. But I genuinly think Wesley is so poor I just can't see a striker being worse, if from Alkmaar or not. 

Fortunately we got a manager who seem fairly updated on foreign players, so I think we'll be fine. **** if I know what he was thinking about Wesley mind. 

• Confused 1

6 hours ago, wilko154 said:

As much as the January windows can be hit and miss, I hope this isn't completely true until we get a decent winger Jack will be playing out of position and we are a couple of injuries away from being a very poor team!

The more I've thought about it the more I think Gaitan on a free could potentially be what gets us over the line this season.

He has been an Argentina international as well as playing some of the best football Europe has to offer for his clubs.

There's a reason he went for 30 million to Atletico Madrid. Now he's available on a free we should pounce on this.

He's in form, albeit in the MLS, and I just can't see a better available and interested winger.

Look at what Moutinho is doing for Wolves at age 33.

May not make too much of a difference this season but Cameron Brannagan is tearing up trees from centre mid for Oxford in league 1. Real all rounder. Be good to pick him up cheap and leave him there for the season. 

• Like 3

I'm a real believer in Dean Smith and the whole current Villa project.  I think I read somewhere that well-organised and intelligently assembled teams take a while to gel but go on to achieve a more reliable stability as the season goes on.  I should try and find that source.

So, instinctively, I'm a little against the idea of 'sticking plaster' solutions, especially those that would feel mercenary.  But we could do with back-up options.  Somebody who can trigger something in others perhaps?  I wonder if anyone could provide examples of short-termist solutions, ideally for teams struggling rather than teams wishing to ascend to higher peaks, that have really worked?  And in January?  Obviously, last season's Villa squad is a good example.  But does this ever work at the highest level?

Players like Lukaku for West Brom obviously transformed their fortunes, but that was a season-long loan.  I dread to Google the likes of Amir Zaki and Loic Remy to see how long ago their hero routines were.  I would imagine short-minded deals favour strikers, but maybe I'm wrong?

Trust what we have (we have been unlucky, and a wee bit green)?  Or find a ringer?  Either way, how would any January signings fit in with the overall transfer strategy?  Does panic buying, or even anxiety buying, have its pitfalls, or must we consider the worst?

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Tomaszk said:

May not make too much of a difference this season but Cameron Brannagan is tearing up trees from centre mid for Oxford in league 1. Real all rounder. Be good to pick him up cheap and leave him there for the season. 

Good, good player have watched him live four times now in last two seasons and He has always impressed me.

Think we desperately need another all action midfielder preferably one who is large and strong as well. We are currently getting overrun in the middle and we need another player to help stem the tide. Ideally the should be good on the ball but work very hard. Someone like sander berge from genk would be ideal. They won't be in Europe come January and he may look to leave at that point. You have also got kessie from AC Milan. Essentially I think we need a young and more physical ander herrera. Hopefully it should take some running weight off of mcginns shoulders so he can play for longer before he starts crawling around the pitch.