Cameron Archer

Zatman

11 hours ago, MaVilla said:

i hope we manage to get a decent fee on a proper permanent for him this summer.

He wouldn't be the worst 3rd choice striker to keep but we probably need to sell for FFP.

Posted (edited)
11 hours ago, Keyblade said:

Kind of hard to do in one of the worst teams in PL history.

2 hours ago, May-Z said:

I'm not sure it has been a poor season for him.

He's not got a lot of goals...but that's because Sheffield have been so bad as a team.

If you look at the goals he has scored though, there's some great strikes and teams will recognise that he's a good player. 

Obviously Sheff Utd are a dreadful side, but Archer mostly hasn't looked too good for them, certainly not since the first month or two of the season anyway. Missed some great opportunities, including a howler against Newcastle recently. I'm not saying he's terrible or he won't become a PL level player, I can't know that, but he hasn't been impressive this season. 

Edited by HanoiVillan

If we sell him on is it still a 100% win for FFP or does the fact that we have signed him back from Sheffield now mean he isn't classed as a product of the youth system?

Or does them being relegated effectively turn this into a glorified loan deal?

4 minutes ago, Tom13 said:

What kind of bizarre deal is it to agree to re-sign someone if they're relegated?

A creative book fiddling loan. 

on the books money, and an easy way to get him back if things didn’t work out. 

they didn’t work out

Just now, CarryOnVilla said:

they didn’t work out

This.

4 minutes ago, CarryOnVilla said:

they didn’t work out

I'm just not convinced how much we want him back.

11 minutes ago, Tom13 said:

What kind of bizarre deal is it to agree to re-sign someone if they're relegated?

FFP deal, we were getting 10 million if they stayed up

Just now, Tom13 said:

I dont think we do but I think it was the best deal we had for him last summer

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
18 minutes ago, Tom13 said:

After a poor season with a poor club, no one is convinced, but at the start of last season, their were high hopes for him and it was a good clause to add

Edited by CarryOnVilla
  • Like 2

On 27/08/2023 at 13:44, Jas10 said:

spacer.png

Some interesting predictions from posters when he was sold, in the end I think Duran outscored him in the league

But this tweet is a classic prediction 😂

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Zatman said:

Some interesting predictions from posters when he was sold, in the end I think Duran outscored him in the league

But this tweet is a classic prediction 😂

😂 mental

think the gif was more than apt 😆

• Haha 1

26 minutes ago, Tom13 said:

Pure FFP.

If we kept him he had a book value of £0.

We sell him for £18m and that's instant pure profit.

They get relegated, we sign him back for saying £12m and that's spread across maybe 4 years.

Bonkers that you're effectively punished for not selling homegrown players but hey, modern football.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, leemond2008 said:

If we sell him on is it still a 100% win for FFP or does the fact that we have signed him back from Sheffield now mean he isn't classed as a product of the youth system?

Or does them being relegated effectively turn this into a glorified loan deal?

I'd imagine it will basically work out as the glorified loan deal where Sheffield United simply don't pay us the agreed fee had they stayed up. Whatever it is, it'll be done to look best on the accounts. 

1 hour ago, Tom13 said:

I’ve said that from day one when people started to suggest it but it seems we may have!!

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

Its fine. Its a short term gain, for a long term hindrance. Yes, we'll be better off this season, but then every year after this we'll have a loss on our annual finances coming out of our squad costs under Uefa's rules. It doesn't work long term and any club trying to do it forever will come unstuck. We did it in a year we were flying close to the radar, but CL qualification and improved contracts mean we shouldn't need to again this year, and means we have more leeway to accommodate the costs we'll now entail signing him back. 

Obviously, we'll hope we can sell him for more than our forced buy back, but presumably hoped he'd have done more in his year at Sheffield so may not be able to.

The viable option is to keep producing talent you can sell every season. But you risk your viability if you don't create someone worth 10-20m every season.

Edited by MrBlack

The buy back is only around £3m we will easily sell him for more than that, they basically paid around £4m for him and now they're relegated we have to give them a percentage of that back, so as it turned out it was basically like a loan deal.

As far as I'm aware the deal was £9m plus another £9m if they had survived, but they didn't give us all the initiall £9m in one go, which is the norm for all transfers, they only gave us the first installment of it, supposedly around £4m, so in reality we're only giving them that back, or a percentage of it, we're not giving them the full £9m back or whatever, because they never paid that full amount in the first place

When you look closely I don't think he did too badly, four goals and an assist in about twenty games worth of football in one of the worst teams In Premier League history, based on those numbers and put him in a midtable team or even a team with just an half decent chance of surviving and I don't think he would be far off double figures for goals, there will be a few looking to sign him I'm sure

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Tom13 said:

if im understanding it correctly, it was a permanent transfer if they stayed up, but a glorified loan if they didnt.

I believe it was as follows (roughly):

1) 10m up front

2) 8m if they stayed up and making the deal permanent (18m total).

3) If they didnt stay up, we resign for something like 8m.

4) if 3 happens, thats effectively a season loan, where they paid 2m.

......or something like that.

edit: what @useless said sounds about right, so in that scenario we got 4m in the first instalment, then maybe we have paid 2m to get him back, with us taking a profit of 2m (loan fee), or such.

Edited by MaVilla
  • Like 2

50 minutes ago, MaVilla said:

if im understanding it correctly, it was a permanent transfer if they stayed up, but a glorified loan if they didnt.

I believe it was as follows (roughly):

1) 10m up front

2) 8m if they stayed up and making the deal permanent (18m total).

3) If they didnt stay up, we resign for something like 8m.

4) if 3 happens, thats effectively a season loan, where they paid 2m.

......or something like that.

edit: what @useless said sounds about right, so in that scenario we got 4m in the first instalment, then maybe we have paid 2m to get him back, with us taking a profit of 2m (loan fee), or such.

Think we sold him for £18.5m and buy him back if they are relegated for £14m. Fairly straightforward 

Â