Marvelous Nakamba

NurembergVillan

9 hours ago, AVTuco said:

I'm really having a hard time appreciating him... I've been, and I still am, of the opinion that he's not a footballer. Today he was very good, but...

Funny how opinions can differ so much! I think he has shown what he is all about on a number of occasions. Give him an extended run in the team in the current set up and see what he can do. 

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Villa87 said:

Funny how opinions can differ so much! I think he has shown what he is all about on a number of occasions. Give him an extended run in the team in the current set up and see what he can do. 

I think he’s great when we don’t have the ball much but then against a team we need to break down he’ll look poor. It happened last season. Great games against Arsenal and Leeds but then poor against Sheffield United. Fans then all wanted him dropped and it felt like Smith obliged. 

5 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

I think he’s great when we don’t have the ball much but then against a team we need to break down he’ll look poor. It happened last season. Great games against Arsenal and Leeds but then poor against Sheffield United. Fans then all wanted him dropped and it felt like Smith obliged. 

This is exactly the issue.

Palace dominated us for most of the game yesterday and a large part of that is because we’re not good enough in possession. 

Nakamba is always going to shine when the opposition has 70% possession. If we want to become a possession based side, players like Nakamba will need to be replaced. I actually thought we looked more comfortable on the ball when Luiz came on. 

This isn’t taking anything away from Marvelous, he’s good at what he does and it’s impossible not to like the bloke. 

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Delphinho123 said:

Palace dominated us for most of the game yesterday and a large part of that is because we’re not good enough in possession. 

Nakamba is always going to shine when the opposition has 70% possession. If we want to become a possession based side, players like Nakamba will need to be replaced. I actually thought we looked more comfortable on the ball when Luiz came on. 

This isn’t taking anything away from Marvelous, he’s good at what he does and it’s impossible not to like the bloke. 

There’s definitely a place for him next 2-3 games though. 

• Like 4

51 minutes ago, Delphinho123 said:

We can be a possession-based team against the mid and low tier teams, but with elite opposition or mid-tiers who rely on possession (Brighton, to some extend Palace) he is incredibly effective when we need another option.

Impossible to fault the performance today - and I think he's a great squad option who starts when you need him.

21 minutes ago, Vancvillan said:

We can be a possession-based team against the mid and low tier teams, but with elite opposition or mid-tiers who rely on possession (Brighton, to some extend Palace) he is incredibly effective when we need another option.

Impossible to fault the performance today - and I think he's a great squad option who starts when you need him.

Yep, definitely. 

Im just saying that at some point, we want to transition to possession based team, like Brighton and seemingly Palace  because we’ll have a better chance of climbing the table.

You won’t go very far in this league with performances like yesterday, especially the second half, where it was basically attack versus defence - albeit we defended very well.

Nakamba is great at what he does. 

1 hour ago, Delphinho123 said:

This isn't true. We dominated them in the first half and even in the second half, when they came into the game more, it took them 80 mins to register a shot on target. Nakamba, Mcginn and young all had a pass completion of about 90% as well. Having less possession and being dominated are two separate things. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Made In Aston said:

This isn't true. We dominated them in the first half and even in the second half, when they came into the game more, it took them 80 mins to register a shot on target. Nakamba, Mcginn and young all had a pass completion of about 90% as well. Having less possession and being dominated are two separate things. 

Agree with this. It's not as simple as 'the side with more possession had control of the game'. Maybe that's usually true, but yesterday is a good example that it's no iron law.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Made In Aston said:

Yeh, that’s just not true at all. In no way shape or form did we dominate them. I’m all for spinning stats to suggest Aston Villa are fantastic but that’s just mental. I was at the game and the second half was not pretty viewing at all (the goal aside).

16 minutes ago, HanoiVillan said:

Agree with this. It's not as simple as 'the side with more possession had control of the game'. Maybe that's usually true, but yesterday is a good example that it's no iron law.

Absolutely this. Some fans seem to think that being a good football team is all about flair and attacking, but that's only half of it. Personally, I rather like the 'game of two halves', where the defence and goalie get to show their skills, as well as the fancy dans up front. Yes, it can be nerve-racking, but also incredibly satisfying when it works effectively. 

Edited by mjmooney
  • Like 1

I think he should be nailed on to start against Man City and Liverpool now, we need him in these battles. He's a great player but tactics shape and formation need to change depending on the opposition and that's when he can come out the side and get a well-earned rest. Teams like Leicester I'm not 100% he'll be as effective, maybe Dougie can step up again for that game. 

its clear that Gerrards new setup/style of having the midfield a bit more compact, giving more passing options really helped Nakamba, tbh i thought some of his passing was brilliant, some really incisive, precise passes, but of course that was made easier for him as there were always 2 or 3 out passes and he didnt need to panic, he could choose the right pass.

Compare that to the last 6-12 months where our lines had oceans between them, there were rarely good short pass options and we ended up just lumping the ball or a player having to make difficult passes, its like night and day.

Really impressed with his performance, honestly, if Luiz was making the clean, precise passes that Nakamba was versus Palace, we would be lauding his ball playing abilities, and ability to play out from the back.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MaVilla said:

i thought some of his passing was brilliant, some really incisive, precise passes, but of course that was made easier for him as there were always 2 or 3 out passes and he didnt need to panic, he could choose the right pass

There was a spell in the first half where he was playing one-twos with Bailey in front of the Palace goal. Looked like he was enjoying himself immensely. 

1 minute ago, mjmooney said:

There was a spell in the first half where he was playing one-twos with Bailey in front of the Palace goal. Looked like he was enjoying himself immensely. 

It's one of the things I liked most about his game yesterday.

He seemed excited to be involved in all the action, both defensively and forward thinking.

Some very decent passing as well.

• Like 1

Â