Douglas Luiz

LondonLax

10 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

Probably because Luiz wouldn’t sign a new contract. 

That definitely didn’t help, but even before and after the contract issues it never felt like Dougie was one of Gerrard’s first picks. Nakamba got in ahead of him initially, remember.

I just think Gerrard preferred a midfield of huff and puff athletes rather than technical players who can control the game. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, KentVillan said:

That definitely didn’t help, but even before and after the contract issues it never felt like Dougie was one of Gerrard’s first picks. Nakamba got in ahead of him initially, remember.

I just think Gerrard preferred a midfield of huff and puff athletes rather than technical players who can control the game. 

Wasn't Douglas injured then? I remember him having a couple of good games as an 8 anyway, but he never played him there regularly.

21 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

Probably because Luiz wouldn’t sign a new contract. 

Kamara didnt sign a contract at Marseille and I think he played over 30 games last season

We were hardly in a position to be leaving talented players out

• Like 2

They have clicked. Kamara and Luiz are proper players that link brilliantly together. Its made Luiz better instantly by having a partner who is comfy in possession. 

But the pair of them really do hate shooting . One of them needs to start smashing the ball from time to time.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, MWARLEY2 said:

They have clicked. Kamara and Luiz are proper players that link brilliantly together. Its made Luiz better instantly by having a partner who is comfy in possession. 

But the pair of them really do hate shooting . One of them needs to start smashing the ball from time to time.

Enter Ramsey. He's the ball striker of the three. 

Although I seem to remember Dougie scoring a couple crackers from outside the box in his first season with us. 

On 16/12/2022 at 18:50, KentVillan said:

problem is, to progress, you need players with both.

The players, who control games, have many attributes, and do them well.

Traditionally, we have had limited players, we need to sign more, complete players, who offer a solution to more aspects of the game.....If you don't do this, you end up signing players with different skill sets, but just as limited and the outcome is status quo.

We have been doing this for a long time, hence no overall improvement.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, TRO said:

problem is, to progress, you need players with both.

The players, who control games, have many attributes, and do them well.

Traditionally, we have had limited players, we need to sign more, complete players, who offer a solution to more aspects of the game.....If you don't do this, you end up signing players with different skill sets, but just as limited and the outcome is status quo.

We have been doing this for a long time, hence no overall improvement.

Definitely - although I'd say in Dougie's case, as he gets older, he is starting to look stronger and more aggressive.

Also, I think now Unai is here, we'll start to see a lot of improvement. Some of our players need replacing, but a few of them (Dougie being one) just weren't being utilised effectively. IMO he's one of the players (alongside Kamara) who we should be looking to hang on to for several more years as a regular starter.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, KentVillan said:

Definitely - although I'd say in Dougie's case, as he gets older, he is starting to look stronger and more aggressive.

Also, I think now Unai is here, we'll start to see a lot of improvement. Some of our players need replacing, but a few of them (Dougie being one) just weren't being utilised effectively. IMO he's one of the players (alongside Kamara) who we should be looking to hang on to for several more years as a regular starter.

Initially I had reservations about Dougie, now I think he is one of our best players.

• Thanks 1

On 16/12/2022 at 23:23, MWARLEY2 said:

I don’t think Luiz hates it, it’s just that playing as a DM made it harder for him to do so, then we had tough games since UE came. I think we’ll start see him trying slowly. Still two tough games coming up followed by a derby. Our easy fixture was lost by Gerrard.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, abdulaziz1 said:

I don’t think Luiz hates it, it’s just that playing as a DM made it harder for him to do so, then we had tough games since UE came. I think we’ll start see him trying slowly. Still two tough games coming up followed by a derby. Our easy fixture was lost by Gerrard.

I worried at the time that we were wasting our easier fixtures with Gerrard in charge. We have played all the 3 promoted sides away and won none of them. 

Â