Douglas Luiz

LondonLax

For balance Dougie had 3 poor controls and was dispossessed twice. As per whoscored. 

As for not hurting when he misplaced a pass or gets dispossessed is he supposed to cry in anguish and despair then hit the bottle or do as he does and try and rectify his mistake? 

He made the most tackles today for Villa. 

1 hour ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

Maybe mate, but via the eye test, he seemed to needlessly give up crucial possession a number of times, with a combination of dithering and simply not seeming to be thinking/moving quickly enough.

I don't think he was anywhere near his best today.

Yes, this is where stats are bunk. 

If you play huge numbers of easy safe passes you will get numbers up and people can point to them when a players performance is criticised. 

But if the "bad" 4% were all suicide / dangerous passes that put us under pressure or bad passes that break up a promising attack the 96% means **** all. 

I was suprised by his passing stats today (I'm assuming they're true) because he regularly seemed to give the ball away in crucial positions. Crucial is the operative word when assessing a players performance, not percentage successes. 

• Like 1

He wasn’t at his best today but some major overreactions here. I still thought he showed good enthusiasm to try to get on the ball, particularly early on. He’s been consistently good for quite some time. Accusing him of not caring is extremely unfair. He generally goes crazy whenever we score. He even celebrated like crazy during one of the games when it looked like he was going to Arsenal. He stayed out on the pitch and sang songs with the fans after we beat Man United recently. He was literally chanting “Villa” as he walked off the pitch into the tunnel. He’s Brazilian. What more do people want. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, sidcow said:

Yes, this is where stats are bunk. 

If you play huge numbers of easy safe passes you will get numbers up and people can point to them when a players performance is criticised. 

But if the "bad" 4% were all suicide / dangerous passes that put us under pressure or bad passes that break up a promising attack the 96% means **** all. 

I was suprised by his passing stats today (I'm assuming they're true) because he regularly seemed to give the ball away in crucial positions. Crucial is the operative word when assessing a players performance, not percentage successes. 

However he had 3 key passes which was the highest of any villa player. He was however dispossessed more often than usual hence why his performance was below his usual standard. 

Just now, Sulberto21 said:

However he had 3 key passes which was the highest of any villa player. He was however dispossessed more often than usual hence why his performance was below his usual standard. 

Yeah. So essentially his game was a mixed bag today. I'm not being over critical, I just agree he seemed to be disappointing on a number of crucial plays. So were Buendia and Bailey though. He wasn't bad enough to be singled out. 

• Like 2

Just now, sidcow said:

Yeah. So essentially his game was a mixed bag today. I'm not being over critical, I just agree he seemed to be disappointing on a number of crucial plays. So were Buendia and Bailey though. He wasn't bad enough to be singled out. 

I agree with what @JAMAICAN-VILLAN and yourself said - he dawdled on a couple of crucial plays and got tackled and he made one or two mistakes when receiving the ball and he was a little slower than usual when seeing danger on the transition. 

Second half he was much better though and resulted in us dominating 25 minutes of play.

In hindsight we could have gone 4-3-3 when they made their changes as they took back the initiative and Dougie went off the boil a bit.

But it was a 1/2% drop off. 

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, Sulberto21 said:

For balance Dougie had 3 poor controls and was dispossessed twice. As per whoscored. 

As for not hurting when he misplaced a pass or gets dispossessed is he supposed to cry in anguish and despair then hit the bottle or do as he does and try and rectify his mistake? 

He made the most tackles today for Villa. 

I know at least one of those was a poor panicked pass drilled into him at close range.

31 minutes ago, sidcow said:

Crucial is the operative word when assessing a players performance

So you’re saying as the only player in our side today to conjure up an assist then the handful of times he gave the ball away, none of which resulted in any damage, are all forgiven? ;) 

20 minutes ago, Sulberto21 said:

I agree with what @JAMAICAN-VILLAN and yourself said - he dawdled on a couple of crucial plays and got tackled and he made one or two mistakes when receiving the ball and he was a little slower than usual when seeing danger on the transition. 

Second half he was much better though and resulted in us dominating 25 minutes of play.

In hindsight we could have gone 4-3-3 when they made their changes as they took back the initiative and Dougie went off the boil a bit.

But it was a 1/2% drop off. 

Yes mate, not even trying to be too hard on them, because it was a strange game.

We weren't " shit " ... well not the type of  " shit " we've become accustomed to, as a matter of fact, i don't give up on us when we concede anymore... we randomly have genius sequences of play, we just lack some quality.

I reckon we have even confused the shite out of Unai. I'm in in for the long haul and bigger picture though, in Unai and NSWE we trust.

Result and individual player error aside... i see evidence of something... I won't pretend I can explain it... but i certainly see something developing.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

Yes mate, not even trying to be too hard on them, because it was a strange game.

We weren't " shit " ... well not the type of  " shit " we've become accustomed to, as a matter of fact, i don't give up on us when we concede anymore... we randomly have genius sequences of play, we just lack some quality.

I reckon we have even confused the shite out of Unai. I'm in in for the long haul and bigger picture though, in Unai and NSWE we trust.

Result and individual player error aside... i see evidence of something... I won't pretend I can explain it... but i certainly see something developing.

It was a weird game. Despite several of our key players being a bit "meh" we still matched Liverpool for much of the game and were better than them for plenty of it. 

I've never seen a Liverpool team so easy to be got at.  They ain't all that. 

We're definitely developing something though. And something exciting to watch thank the Lord. 

• Like 3

5 hours ago, Villa 59 said:

I don't need a drink mate to see that he doesn't care and that he'd rather not be here. I see far more effort and enthusiasm from Ashley Young tbf!!

I was referring to Dendonker being better than Kamara. I’m not a big Luiz fan myself.

Hit and miss for me today. Some lovely stuff - including the assist - mixed in with some really poor awareness.

When Liverpool made their changes in midfield in the 2nd half, I would have responded with hooking him for Dendonker to give us some energy.

I thought Dougie was ok, not poor and not brilliant. I think like a lot of players today(yesterday), he was just ok.  Neither midfield played great but ours still matched up with Henderson, Thiago and Fabinho which is nothing to sniff at.  There were some poor moments and some great moments but mostly in between.  I like the Kamara/Luiz combo and looking forward to it developing with a quality third player.

Edited by nick76

Â