Douglas Luiz

LondonLax

2 hours ago, Demitri_C said:

This is a bit of a challenge because he was playing the JJ role. Yiu cabt play them both like so its one or the other.

I think JJs forms dropped lately so im happy he the injury is giving him abit of a rest.  

As for luiz i think he was fantastic yesterday. My motm. Unfortunately not having a dcm means he has to play the number 6 role

JJ, McGinn, Buendia, and Luiz are the 4 options to rotate in the number 8 spots. Buendia also an alternative to Coutinho in the 10 role, and then you have Chuk coming through in that area too.

Having 2 options for each role is needed, and we are lucky in that area of the pitch. A commanding and high quality defensive midfielder to sit behind them (with Nakamba as backup) seems to be the missing piece. 

Of the 8 options we have have, I've always felt Luiz would shine there. Yes, it was only one game (60 minutes of one game), but the signs were extremely good. Would be such a waste for us to sell him below his value because he's been played out of position for 2 years.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Rustibrooks said:

If it came down to Mcginn vs Dougie who would you guys rather sell?

9 hours ago, MrBlack said:

McGinn. We'd get more money for him and think he has reached his peak.

What Mr Black said - providing Dougie signs a new deal.

Dougie is 3.5 years younger, and I suspect he has a high ceiling.
McGinn probably has reached him peak. His engine is incredible, and I wonder if that costs him technically. 
McGinn also probably has a much higher market value right now (£50m vs £30m - if Dougie signs?) - so we would have the extra money to improve the squad.

Would McGinn be happy as a squad player if performances merited that? I'd love to keep them both, but his value right now means selling might be a great move.
Love the guy though - mad bastard.

• Like 3

Just now, PieFacE said:

It's going to be such a shame if we do end up losing Luiz due to our complete failure at signing a DM over the past few years even though it's been utterly obvious to everyone that we've needed one. 

Luiz is such a good player as a number 8. I suspect he wants to leave to go and play that role elsewhere. It would be very sad to see him flourish elsewhere as a 8 when we've used him as a 6 for years. 

Agree. Technically he's been one of our best players and it's been super frustrating seeing him stuck as a holding midfielder and getting criticism for it. The whole DM issue has been piss poor from the club.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, messi11 said:

Thought he was average despite his goal. Gave away cheap possession. He's not good enough 

37 passes made with 88% completion rate, and those werent just all 'safe' passes

McGinn only made 23 at 76% (sub 80% yet again)

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, birdman said:

Agree. Technically he's been one of our best players and it's been super frustrating seeing him stuck as a holding midfielder and getting criticism for it. The whole DM issue has been piss poor from the club.

It is really wierd how long we've let this drag on. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

I hope the club are doing everything they can to persuade him.

Given him limited minutes in his preferred position certainly isn't helping.

On 07/05/2022 at 16:54, HalfTimePost said:

Man's an 8 and we're going to live to regret we wasted him as a 6 for 3 years and sold him for £25m

I have empathy with that.....I hope he stays.

The contrast in him playing the 2 roles is stark....I am staggered it has happened, but I think SG sees it clearly.

Â