Douglas Luiz

LondonLax

2 hours ago, romavillan said:

Just came here to post that, it's obscene. Like obscene. Made me rethink him id I'm honest, if he's capable of that from there then he's a **** player.

He is a **** player but he is also only 21. He doesn't even turn 22 til the end of the season.  Jack at 21 was the same way blowing either red hot or Ice cold.  If it takes Douglas 3 years to come good then even better for us. Hopefully the buyback either has expired or it's like 45 million. 

Also I like the idea of Nakamamba, the more mature player, shouldering the majority of the responsibility at the DM spot while we find Douglas about 20-25 appearances.  Douglas has probably never experienced pressure of this level before. Not only premier league football, arguably the highest level of the sport outside the Champs league, but a relegation fight. A fight where every mistake is amplified. And guess what young players do, yep they make mistakes. 

What I'm saying is keep the faith with Douglas. Their is a definite player in there. Hopefully our club and supporters give him the proper atmosphere to grow and find that next level. 

It seems he's dangerous with his right. Not many players could be that comfortable when shooting the ball or throwing it as he did. I think being underdogs in all of our games hasn't helped at all. But his had definitely a huge potential.

On 25/09/2019 at 22:13, villalad21 said:

He isn't a dm in the first place.

I hope we will see him play further up the pitch.

He played DM at Girona (and was also part of a back 3 I think in some games).

This reminds me of Carlos Sanchez came in initally and did well. Because he could pass a ball accurately five yards people were saying why don't we play him close to the strikers!

Him and Marvelous will rotate and I agree with a few that in some games both of them should play at base of midfield.

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

He played DM at Girona (and was also part of a back 3 I think in some games).

This reminds me of Carlos Sanchez came in initally and did well. Because he could pass a ball accurately five yards people were saying why don't we play him close to the strikers!

Him and Marvelous will rotate and I agree with a few that in some games both of them should play at base of midfield.

Pretty much, he played in front of the back four at Girona, even dropped back to centre half at times. He's not exactly a conventional DM, has aspects of a deep lying playmaker to him, but the idea that he's 'box to box' couldn't be further from the mark.

Brazilian football journalist Anderson Moura (Outside of the Booth) has him down as a box to box midfielder.

What is his Style of Play?

Douglas has been used as the first man in the midfield and as the second one, with less defensive responsibilities and more freedom to carry and conduct the ball, which the English name ‘box-to-box’. And this was definitely the best option. Not just because he protects the ball very efficiently when he runs with it, but also because he does it with plasticity and elegance, always with his head up, studying the possibilities while maintaining the pace.

Douglas also has an incredible easiness to play both on the center and on the flanks (maybe because of his right-back experiences as a youngster). And when he goes to the sides, one thing he likes to do and does very well is to play long diagonal balls to the other side of the pitch, looking for a less pressured partner. In his debut in the Spanish La Liga against Malaga, Douglas occupied the right position on the midfield for 20 minutes, but don’t be surprised if Girona’s coach, Pablo Machín, uses him in different places with different functions. It will not mean that he has doubts about his player. Douglas has enough versatility for many roles.

Hereupon, Tite’s recent calls for the national team shows how and why his development in these functions would be important to his nation. Fernandinho, Paulinho and Renato Augusto, men Tite trusts the most at midfield (alongside Casemiro), are not exactly models to follow in today’s football, where the athletes have to show a plurality of functions and ideas, but each one of them can be seen a little bit in Douglas. Fernandinho is good defending, Paulinho is known by his sprints and infiltrations and Renato has a lot of tactical understanding and awareness, but in the next few years Douglas could be a mix of them. The 2018 World Cup is yet to come, but Brazil has to think about the future. And Tite knows it.

http://outsideoftheboot.com/2017/09/17/scout-report-douglas-luiz/

• Like 2

42 minutes ago, sne said:

Brazilian football journalist Anderson Moura (Outside of the Booth) has him down as a box to box midfielder.

http://outsideoftheboot.com/2017/09/17/scout-report-douglas-luiz/

Which is Jacks favoured position too. Can't see him keeping Jack out anytime soon. 

Just to add perhaps if Jack has a blinder this season and moves on DL is a ready made replacement?

Edited by zab6359

Just now, zab6359 said:

Which is Jacks favoured position too. Can't see him keeping Jack out anytime soon. 

Might suit the team with Jack in a wider position and Luiz in central.

Jack is the star player, but it's all about the team.

15 minutes ago, sne said:

Might suit the team with Jack in a wider position and Luiz in central.

Jack is the star player, but it's all about the team.

Absolutely agree it's all about the team but I think DS is a bit start struck as far as Jack goes, did you see that recent interview with Jack? Favoured position is the No 8 box to box, will play a No 10 if asked but absolutely hates the wings!!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Dr_Pangloss said:

Pretty much, he played in front of the back four at Girona, even dropped back to centre half at times. He's not exactly a conventional DM, has aspects of a deep lying playmaker to him, but the idea that he's 'box to box' couldn't be further from the mark.

Be nice to see him play as a deep lying play maker next to a decent DM (marvelous?) in a 4-2-3-1 but I think DS has his style of play and is not about to change it

14 minutes ago, zab6359 said:

Absolutely agree it's all about the team but I think DS is a bit start struck as far as Jack goes, did you see that recent interview with Jack? Favoured position is the No 8 box to box, will play a No 10 if asked but absolutely hates the wings!!

Not even saying it would work, just have a feeling it might, and would make us better as a team.

And while it might not be his favorite position I don't see Grealish as someone who would sulk or make a big deal about playing in a wide playmaker role.

To have him playing as a typical kick and rush winger would be a terrible idea.

Edited by sne
  • Like 1

Â