Douglas Luiz

LondonLax

20 minutes ago, HanoiVillan said:

I think he was useless today, but he is just a young player. However, I really think we need to give some consideration over whether a midfield with both Grealish and Luiz isn't too lightweight away from home. 

Yes - I think Marvelous would have been a better option for this type of game but I can understand why Dean went with the same squad as last week.

A trio of Grealish, Luiz and McGinn should rightly be under scrutiny. It's either a work in progress and will get a lot better (I hope) or actually just not workable. Easy to target Luiz here as the weak link but Grealish and McGinn haven't really got going consistently either, McGinn especially is too anonymous too often.

• Like 1

I would drop him and play Hourihane. 

He's not been very effective for me and we were almost non existent as an attacking force till Hourihane came on yesterday, he changed our whole outlook I feel. 

2 hours ago, sidcow said:

I would drop him and play Hourihane. 

He's not been very effective for me and we were almost non existent as an attacking force till Hourihane came on yesterday, he changed our whole outlook I feel. 

With Hourihane and Lansbury on we passed it much better. Not sure there's a way but getting a narrower midfield with more of the better passers in there might be a good idea, width from the full backs and play w/o wingers. Won't happen but we'd keep the ball all day long if we needed to.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Zatman said:

Lucky not to concede a penalty as well, think he should only start home games for the moment 

Agreed, I'd be fuming if that wasn't given against us.

He tried to head it, but gets nowhere near the ball and takes out his man. As much as Friend screwed us at the end, we got away with that.

1 hour ago, romavillan said:

With Hourihane and Lansbury on we passed it much better. Not sure there's a way but getting a narrower midfield with more of the better passers in there might be a good idea, width from the full backs and play w/o wingers. Won't happen but we'd keep the ball all day long if we needed to.

I think people need to see past the summer additions?

• Like 1

Not sure why I haven't quite fallen for this guy yet. That's not a final judgement, just a "Hmm..." Is it something to do with the lack of pace and short strides? Is there something a bit mechanical about him? An element of slightly ponderous thinking and movement when I am looking for fluidity of both? I can't quite put my finger on it. 

The problem is the entire midfield is being played with attack in mind, McGinn is being given license to roam forward but against more physical sides he is too easily crowded out, Grealish is ending up coming too deep and Luiz is playing the deepest but offers little cover for the defence as he is too short and slight to win many headers or 50/50 tackles.

I think he has obvious class and will be great for us, but not in the current formation.  I don't think Connor works in the same role either, but he is the best set piece taker we have and without him we lose that threat.

Dean has to go back to the drawing board, at least for away games.

Edited by VillanousOne
  • Like 1

Our midfield is a bit of a mess right now. I had very high hopes for Luiz, for no other reason than Man City and Pep of course, but so far Luiz is my biggest disappointment.

Also, I hadn't realized how small he actually is. Not a DM at all.

After calming down enough to come on this site I wanted to offer a point on DL.

One of the reasons I think we didn’t play well was due to his positional play. The number of times he came back to get the ball and ended up between the centre half’s and on occasions behind them gave Palace a numerical advantage in the midfield making it easier to win second balls and build up pressure. He needs to learn to find space in front of Mings and Engles which will ease the pressure. Think in time it will come but we have enough options to swap it around, which I think we should for the next game and give Douglas further time to understand the role we need him to play.

28 minutes ago, Stockport_Villain said:

After calming down enough to come on this site I wanted to offer a point on DL.

One of the reasons I think we didn’t play well was due to his positional play. The number of times he came back to get the ball and ended up between the centre half’s and on occasions behind them gave Palace a numerical advantage in the midfield making it easier to win second balls and build up pressure. He needs to learn to find space in front of Mings and Engles which will ease the pressure. Think in time it will come but we have enough options to swap it around, which I think we should for the next game and give Douglas further time to understand the role we need him to play.

I agree with this, I also think he needs to show for a pass a bit more specifically when our CBs are in possession. Its forcing Mings to either go wide to full backs or hit it long and is also making grealish come far to deep to receive the ball

• Like 1

20 hours ago, HanoiVillan said:

I think he was useless today, but he is just a young player. However, I really think we need to give some consideration over whether a midfield with both Grealish and Luiz isn't too lightweight away from home. 

I think it maybe add that to Jota and Trez and you have 4 who are arguably lightweight in the challenge.......its too much to bear...especially away from home.

• Like 1

Â