Douglas Luiz

LondonLax

1 minute ago, sne said:

Not even saying it would work, just have a feeling it might, and would make us better as a team.

And while it might not be his favorite position I don't see Grealish as someone who would sulk or make a big deal about playing in a wide playmaker role.

I agree I'd like to see Jack wide left but coming inside as a second forward as often as possible I reckon he'd score plenty of goals and get a few assists.

Have you seen that interview? Really don't think he likes it and I don't think DS will play people out of position.

1 minute ago, zab6359 said:

I agree I'd like to see Jack wide left but coming inside as a second forward as often as possible I reckon he'd score plenty of goals and get a few assists.

Have you seen that interview? Really don't think he likes it and I don't think DS will play people out of position.

Yeah I read the transcript.

58 minutes ago, zab6359 said:

He really struggled when he played there last year. Yes I know it was under Steve Bruce but to make the most out of your players you have to play them in their best positions. Plus if jack isn't happy it will only hatm the morale of the team. 

McGinn is very much a box to box midfielder in my mind.

Luiz is more deep lying player. In some ways he reminds me a little of Petrov who lets remember came down as an attacking midfielder but soon settled into a more deep lying role and did that job pretty well for 3-4 seasons.

Since Smith will actually put Jack wide I'd really like to see Smith go with a midfield 3 of Nakamba, Luiz and McGinn and allow Jack to float around like today. 

That midfield has a bit of everything for me, could be great. 

• Like 3

Luiz should be playing in Hourihane's role from yesterday. Moving Grealish left with a free role is the right thing to do, Luiz in the centre will do some decent defensive work but will also allow him to get on the ball and use his qualities to start attacks and have shots on goal.

• Like 2

On 27/09/2019 at 13:39, zab6359 said:

Got a link to the interview?

On 27/09/2019 at 14:39, MotoMkali said:

He really struggled when he played there last year. Yes I know it was under Steve Bruce but to make the most out of your players you have to play them in their best positions. Plus if jack isn't happy it will only hatm the morale of the team. 

Number 8 isn't Jack's best position.

The sooner he realises that the better things will be for him. His determination to be a number 8 is doing more harm than good.

• Like 2

Surprised at how well Jack done on the left on Saturday because previous attempts at putting him out wide over the past couple years under Bruce haven't been great. Might be more to do with it was just really a free floating role, allowing him to do what he likes going forward.

Perfect opportunity now to get Luiz in alongside McGinn and Nakamba. In my head the Luiz - Nakamba - McGinn midfield 3 works an absolute treat. 

• Like 2

If he wasn’t Brazilian, I don’t think you’d all be clambering for him to play.

It might be an unpopular opinion, but I don’t think he’s done much to warrant a start for me. 

Hopefully if he does start, we’ll see some of the qualities he apparently has. I’d love to see him succeed because he comes with a solid reputation.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, KHV said:

The sooner he realises that the better things will be for him. His determination to be a number 8 is doing more harm than good.

Is this some English thing? What does number 8 even mean? 

27 minutes ago, KenjiOgiwara said:

Is this some English thing? What does number 8 even mean? 

Very good question. 

As far as I can see, the conversation started off talking about a “box to box” midfielder role, which is allegedly the favoured position of both Grealish and Douglas.

I think that phrase itself needs more explanation since it can become a bit of a slogan with an assumption that everyone knows what it means.

How that became “number 8” I’m not sure. If I can think back that far, in the old traditional 2-3-5 formation, number 8 was Inside Right but I don’t think that role really exists any more.  

11 hours ago, KHV said:

He plays number 8 because mcginn plays like a number 9. If jack isn't dropping seep to collect the ball we have no outlet except for gil and our right winger. 

7 hours ago, MotoMkali said:

He plays number 8 because mcginn plays like a number 9. If jack isn't dropping seep to collect the ball we have no outlet except for gil and our right winger. 

This is even more confusing. In my day, a number 9 was a striker. 

• Like 2

Â