Douglas Luiz

LondonLax

On 29/09/2019 at 17:21, MaVilla said:

This

This

This

Midfield trio should be nakamba, Luiz and Mcginn imo, with Grealish and trez as inside forwards/semi free role.

Couldn't agree more. Luis would add a bit more steel in midfield, particularly away games whilst still having passing/shooting ability better than Conor in my opinion. I wonder if he is any good at dead ball delivery?

2 hours ago, HanoiVillan said:

This is even more confusing. In my day, a number 9 was a striker. 

Whenever we have the ball mcginn essentially plays striker. He doesn't make himself available to our defenders or wingers which forces our dm to come across and Jack to drop deeper. Yes it is great mcginn is close to scoring every match but if he was deeper we wouldn't have to resort to playing crap long balls which wesley can't win. 

Edit: In my opinion our best game was against Everton where mcginn and Jack swapped side for most of the game this forced John to drop deeper as wesley and trezeguet were occupying the forward spaces meaning he had to drop and receive passes. 

Edited by MotoMkali
Additional info

Doesn't really fit the team at the moment I don't think, in a good way(?).

He's almost got too much ability, it's mad. Watching McGinn and Marvelous churning up turf all over the place wondering why they don't just swazz it into the top corner more often.

He'll be in for Hourihane soon. What potential.

He’s scored two worldies but not done a lot else.

Very tight between him and Hourihane. Hourihane deserves to keep his place for me and tactically it works with him drifting out to the left when grealish moves in field.

Great to see genuine competition though. 

UTV

• Like 1

On 01/10/2019 at 08:41, briny_ear said:

Very good question. 

As far as I can see, the conversation started off talking about a “box to box” midfielder role, which is allegedly the favoured position of both Grealish and Douglas.

I think that phrase itself needs more explanation since it can become a bit of a slogan with an assumption that everyone knows what it means.

How that became “number 8” I’m not sure. If I can think back that far, in the old traditional 2-3-5 formation, number 8 was Inside Right but I don’t think that role really exists any more.  

That's right.....The No 8 & 10 were the inside forwards, arguably the real creative players in the team, making the 9 and the 2 wingers 7 & 11

No wonder they scored loads of goals.

Â