Douglas Luiz

LondonLax

He’s competing with Hourihane right now who got a goal and an assist. You get the chance as a sub and you need to make a mark on the game. Tremendous finish. 

The competition in the middle of the park is really excellent to see and gives me a warm feeling at the bottom of my testicles. Might need to see a doctor about that. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, VillaJ100 said:

It was basically the same goal as well. Oppo defenders won't let him set up there again so easily! 

I don’t think most of them will be able to get near him. Not a complete player yet by any means, but I’ll back him to always find himself a little space.

He did that thing again when he just dragged the ball ahead of himself to set it just like his goal against Bournemouth. Just oozes class and ability. Literally just passes the ball into the top corner like it's a pass to his mate at the park. Honestly my favorite of the new signings.

He's a very classy player. I'm trying to think who he reminds me of. He has a bit of Gareth Barry about him with his composure, lack of pace and sweet curled shots. But I think if he really progresses he could end up as a Xabi Alonso or Pirlo type midfielder.

The only problem we have is that we want him to do well enough to justify signing him, but not so well that City take up the buyback clause. Not sure how likely that scenario is? Have a horrible feeling he'll be off next summer...

Unfortunately it's going to take an injury or suspension for him to get his chance. Best goal of the game though , his quality is undeniable, it will take time to see if his work ethic is good enough. O have a feeling he will be our best player in a season or two .

1 hour ago, tinker said:

Unfortunately it's going to take an injury or suspension for him to get his chance. Best goal of the game though , his quality is undeniable, it will take time to see if his work ethic is good enough. O have a feeling he will be our best player in a season or two .

I can’t remember the last time we had this amount of players that can shoot well.

Luiz, Hourihane, McGinn, Grealish and El Ghazi. Possibly Guilbert too.

He doesn't score boring ones, does he?

"Effortless" is the way he conducts himself on the pitch. Yes it was late and Norwich were already done, but still his movement, positioning, passing, shooting - it's very pleasing on the eye.

I'd be tempted to start him with Nakamba (at the expense of Hourihane), giving Luiz a license to get a little further forward.

3 hours ago, ozvillafan said:

He doesn't score boring ones, does he?

"Effortless" is the way he conducts himself on the pitch. Yes it was late and Norwich were already done, but still his movement, positioning, passing, shooting - it's very pleasing on the eye.

I'd be tempted to start him with Nakamba (at the expense of Hourihane), giving Luiz a license to get a little further forward.

How can you drop conor? Scores, assists and won us a pen. Luiz scores a great goal but when he gets a chance, he needs to do more in the game.

• Like 1

On 06/10/2019 at 02:24, KentVillan said:

He's a very classy player. I'm trying to think who he reminds me of. He has a bit of Gareth Barry about him with his composure, lack of pace and sweet curled shots. But I think if he really progresses he could end up as a Xabi Alonso or Pirlo type midfielder.

The only problem we have is that we want him to do well enough to justify signing him, but not so well that City take up the buyback clause. Not sure how likely that scenario is? Have a horrible feeling he'll be off next summer...

It is good that we have Nakamba for that DM role, as I think Luiz will be bought back by City. They may not necessarily want him, but will at least want to make a profit on him.

2 minutes ago, AntrimBlack said:

It is good that we have Nakamba for that DM role, as I think Luiz will be bought back by City. They may not necessarily want him, but will at least want to make a profit on him.

Why would he agree to go back just to make City a few million quid? No one owns the guy (outside of contracted terms) and he can't be forced to sign for anyone unless he agrees to.

I'm sure Purslow said that the buy back clause is something like £25m and it goes up with each year that he's with us. So if they're going to buy him back to make a profit he's going to have to get in our team first and become a regular, because they won't make much of a profit on a £25m signing if he wasn't a first choice for us, even if he does establish himself he's going to have perform exceptionally for City to make a profit on £25m. Also worth bearing in mind that City already spent £10m on him when they signed him from Vasco De Gama.

Edited by useless

Trying to drag some of the Luiz chat from the Nakamba thread into here - does anyone have a clue how Martinelli got a work permit for Arsenal when Luiz seemingly only got approved for us due to transfer fee/wages?

Presumably it's under the 'exceptional talent' rule, but it still doesn't make sense as Luiz had played a whole season at the same age and Martinelli had no club appearances.

I'm definitely just bitter as he looks a real talent.

1 hour ago, Sam-AVFC said:

Trying to drag some of the Luiz chat from the Nakamba thread into here - does anyone have a clue how Martinelli got a work permit for Arsenal when Luiz seemingly only got approved for us due to transfer fee/wages?

Presumably it's under the 'exceptional talent' rule, but it still doesn't make sense as Luiz had played a whole season at the same age and Martinelli had no club appearances.

I'm definitely just bitter as he looks a real talent.

i believe he attained an Italian passport just prior to moving to Arsenal, or so the rumours say. (qualifies through his father Joao Carlos)

Edited by MaVilla
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, MaVilla said:

i believe he attained an Italian passport just prior to moving to Arsenal, or so the rumours say. (qualifies through his father Joao Carlos)

A thoroughbred Italian Name that.

Edited by dounavilla

8 hours ago, Sam-AVFC said:

Why would he agree to go back just to make City a few million quid? No one owns the guy (outside of contracted terms) and he can't be forced to sign for anyone unless he agrees to.

City have a buy back clause, so he has no choice in that matter. After that, of course, he will be like any other player at any other club with regard to being transferred by City to another club.

7 minutes ago, AntrimBlack said:

City have a buy back clause, so he has no choice in that matter. After that, of course, he will be like any other player at any other club with regard to being transferred by City to another club.

That’s not how they work - we have to accept any offer matching the buyback clause, but he can still refuse to sign a contract.

Thats my understanding anyway. If I’m wrong I’ll happily accept that.

• Like 2

Â