Douglas Luiz

LondonLax

No and I don't feel like finding one, as it might not be true, but if it is I think he said in one of his meetings with the fans rather than to the media. It was definitely talked about quite a bit on this forum in the summer.

All I can find is BM article by Dean Rudge and the key excerpt is:

"Therefore, if reports of the £15million to be paid by Villa are true, it may be that City's buy-back clause is set at £25million next summer and £30million the season after. This is all conjecture and guesswork, but is logical based on previous deals involving a buy-back clause."

This seems too similar to supposed Purslow comments 

Edited by Kiwivillan

I had a look on a City forum and they were talking about £25m as a buy back clause as well, some even saying they were shocked that it's that low. We aren'g going to pay £15m for a player and then risk losing them a season later for a couple of million, Purslow has said that we won't be loaning in players without a clause to buy as it's developing other club's players and agreeing to sell Luiz back to City for little more than we paid for him would be no different.

The whole problem for City was his work permit. That will remain the case. We managed to get him a work permit based on his circumstances at Villa which are quite different to City’s. We managed it, City didn’t.

The only way they will trigger the buy-out point is if he has become a success to the extent that he will be a starter or demand a very high salary - one of the clubs top earners, neither of which are likely given City’s current situation and standing. But if it did arise, it would mean until the window he would our player and likely a very, very good one, so either way we win. If he’s very good for us, great and he likely stays; if he’s one of the best players in Europe he leaves but at a profit and we use him for a while.

The only fear is if a foreign team comes in for him and is willing to pay above the trigger. Man City buy him and immediately trade him. This happens (Engels was similar). It’s good business but bad form, unsure if City would play that card.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, AntrimBlack said:

That's what I said. When or if he goes back to City, he can then make his own choices like any other player at any other club.

But he cannot do that with us.

He absolutely can. Generally a player won't turn down a move like that but he can certainly choose where he plays even if we have to accept their offer he does not have to accept their contract. 

On 08/10/2019 at 10:16, screwdriver said:

If Luiz thinks the way to get into the team is to come off the bench and curl one into the top corner the solution is.......keep him on the bench.

How dare he come off the bench and score a goal, I'd rather he come on and do **** all.

• Haha 1

Phillips is highly regarded in their setup...similar to McGinn in ours.  We would try to fleece any suitors for as much as possible too.

Also, considering the possible animosity/jealousy towards our promotion and subsequent cash injection, they sort to get as much as possible from us.

11 hours ago, MotoMkali said:

He absolutely can. Generally a player won't turn down a move like that but he can certainly choose where he plays even if we have to accept their offer he does not have to accept their contract. 

He does. The player is totally powerless in this situation, and must return to City if they activate the buyback clause.

The kid hasn't yet established himself in a team sitting 15th in the PL, why the bloody hell are worrying ourselves about losing him to Man City?

1 hour ago, Demitri_C said:

15m - half the price of what Leeds wanted for  Phillips. Let that sink in.

Leeds didn’t want to sell their star player in order to push for promotion. 

Fair play to them, they managed to hold onto him. We would hope our board would to the same in a similar position. 

• Like 1

Just now, LondonLax said:

Leeds didn’t want to sell their star player in order to push for promotion. 

Fair play to them, they managed to hold onto him. We would hope our board would to the same in a similar position. 

They did with Grealish. 

8 minutes ago, av1 said:

The kid hasn't yet established himself in a team sitting 15th in the PL, why the bloody hell are worrying ourselves about losing him to Man City?

He won’t be able to get a work permit with Man City until he’s a regular in the Brazil side and that looks a long way off. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, thunderball said:

The whole problem for City was his work permit. That will remain the case. We managed to get him a work permit based on his circumstances at Villa which are quite different to City’s. We managed it, City didn’t.

The only way they will trigger the buy-out point is if he has become a success to the extent that he will be a starter or demand a very high salary - one of the clubs top earners, neither of which are likely given City’s current situation and standing. But if it did arise, it would mean until the window he would our player and likely a very, very good one, so either way we win. If he’s very good for us, great and he likely stays; if he’s one of the best players in Europe he leaves but at a profit and we use him for a while.

The only fear is if a foreign team comes in for him and is willing to pay above the trigger. Man City buy him and immediately trade him. This happens (Engels was similar). It’s good business but bad form, unsure if City would play that card.

Of course they will do that - as would Purslow in the same position. Football is money - the buy-back clause will be there for the purposes of doing this rather than him actually returning to Man City to play for them I think. It may be that he/his agent has insisted on that clause so that Villa can't try and keep him if a wealthy Champions League club comes along.

20 hours ago, Kiwivillan said:

P.S. wage high enough guaranteed starter @villalad21 is not a clause I'm familiar with. As stated above historical high transfer fee for us was key. Wage irrelevant in work permits for PL footballers I think

If the player’s wages are above the 75th percentile of qualifying wages that gets you 3 points towards their permit. If 50th-75th percentile that’s two points. We got the points needed based on fee (as you say) plus wages. Fee alone wouldn’t have been enough points. Just FYI.

• Thanks 1

Â