Douglas Luiz

LondonLax

46 minutes ago, Only2McInallys said:

You know when we are linked with a player or manager that you don’t want and Villa sign them.That’s how I feel.

Luiz is skilful can pass well,can tackle and can take brilliant corners but for me he hides in games.

How often do we see Mings playing out from the back pass to Luiz for Luiz just to pass it back to Mings.

I have been following his contribution to our games for a while.

Next game count the number of times he passes forward,tries to run with the ball or tries a difficult pass.You won’t need many fingers to count them .

Mcginn for all his faults is always trying something and one of the reasons why is Luiz isn’t.

The club has just miraculously saved about £30,000,000. That’s how I feel!

• Like 3

14 minutes ago, maqroll said:

Unexpected news. I like Douglas a lot. Would love to see him add a bit more aggression and attacking impetus to his game. 

Him and another bunch of 6

Very good move from the club. We need a lot of this, as the whole feeling of the club is in a bad mode. Which will reflect on the players themselves. Luiz isn't the best when he plays as #6, but he's a very good midfielder. We need to start Leander or Nakamba to see the best of him. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Villa 59 said:

Maybe Lange is getting the bullet and Gerrard has agreed to move upstairs as DOF allowing a new manager to come in andt ake charge of the coaching?....is that a possibility?

Really hope not. Do not rate Lange particularly high but seen nothing to suggest Gerrard would be suited for any role at Villa.

Doubt Gerrard want's that job either but if he does he can go to Liverpool and learn a new job there. Had enough of Villa being a training school for him.

Edited by sne
  • Like 1

20 minutes ago, Villa 59 said:

Maybe Lange is getting the bullet and Gerrard has agreed to move upstairs as DOF allowing a new manager to come in andt ake charge of the coaching?....is that a possibility?

I think Gerrard wants to be more hands on, so it’s unlikely that this will happen. I do think it’s a good idea though. Gerrard definitely has great pulling power for players and I like the discipline that he’s bought to villa. He would be a great DOF in my view.

12 minutes ago, M_Afro said:

I think Gerrard wants to be more hands on, so it’s unlikely that this will happen. I do think it’s a good idea though. Gerrard definitely has great pulling power for players and I like the discipline that he’s bought to villa. He would be a great DOF in my view.

Our strategy would be buy old, pay them huge wads, sod development... He'd be the least progressive DoF in the history of the Premier League. 

He needs to leave. 

This is all off topic though, I'm surprised and delighted Doug has signed, the next manager will no doubt play him more. 

Edited by Dale
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, M_Afro said:

Give him 5 years and any pulling power he was will be gone because every player he played with will have retired and the up and coming players will know him as an at best mediocre manager.

4 minutes ago, AntrimBlack said:

Best news since buying Kamara. How could you miss that? 😀

Was out last night and only just checked in on VT. Villa stuff doesn't really get covered in Swedish media unless we play Manure or Liverpool.

• Like 1

I find it unusual that in all his quotes since signing a new deal he hasn’t t once mentioned Gerrard. Similarly I don’t think Gerrard has mentioned him either. 

No mention of the length of the deal is also unusual. Are there clauses that the club don’t particularly like but had to agree to, or even related to who our manager is going forward? 

22 hours ago, WHY said:

Not a big fan of Luiz but he is worth more to us than the £20m we would get for him. Can’t help think there might be a buy out clause in this new contract though. 

£20m? We turned down a £25m bid literally six weeks ago from the league leaders without this contract…

38 minutes ago, calcifer said:

Probably a release clause in there somewhere? Great news he has signed a new contract so we won't lose him on a free! 

Was thinking something like that £30m or something. Still it's only a 3 year extension and he's only 24

12 hours ago, Only2McInallys said:

You know when we are linked with a player or manager that you don’t want and Villa sign them.That’s how I feel.

Luiz is skilful can pass well,can tackle and can take brilliant corners but for me he hides in games.

How often do we see Mings playing out from the back pass to Luiz for Luiz just to pass it back to Mings.

I have been following his contribution to our games for a while.

Next game count the number of times he passes forward,tries to run with the ball or tries a difficult pass.You won’t need many fingers to count them .

Mcginn for all his faults is always trying something and one of the reasons why is Luiz isn’t.

I think this is more to do with not having a second CM sitting deep with him.

If you watch Brighton, for example, they can create multiple passing options because they create a box of four players around any opposition press. We have Dougie sitting deep, who has to turn a player then pick an eye-of-the needle pass....or just go back to the CB or FB. 

Next game, count how many times he has a quick, short pass that he can make first time to get around the press.  You won't need many fingers to count them. 

• Like 4

17 hours ago, sharkyvilla said:

It does seem odd that Gerrard did a press conference and Doug signed the deal with an interview on the same day and they didn't seem to mention each other as far as I'm aware.

In an ideal world this is things actually working whoever the manager is… we need a system that is bringing players in or securing their contacts for the long term whoever the coach is. Regardless of whether you think Gerrard is a clown or not, the average PL manager lasts 18 months so you don’t want them to be the one determining who gets a long-term deal etc. This is the system I was confident we had until we had a weird last 6 months, so I’m hoping this is just normality reasserting itself.

32 minutes ago, Adam2003 said:

£20m? We turned down a £25m bid literally six weeks ago from the league leaders without this contract…

I was basing that value on him having not signed the contract. In Jan he could’ve gone for £20m for example. For what it’s worth if he does have a buy out clause north of £40m he will be a Villa player for the foreseeable imo. 

• Like 1

Â