Douglas Luiz

LondonLax

Not really been on it today. The way we're playing makes his role a little bit quiet anyway as it's basically just for support (as attacks are either via Coutinho or over the top to Watkins) but he doesn't look to be enjoying it much today. 

Now we have tried him in the no 8 position a couple of games and I think it's sae to say that he wont cut it there. He is too slow and doesn't carry enough attacking threat to play there. I think we should break the bank to get a new defensive midfielder, if so I'm not sure he will be happy as cover, perhaps the best is to cash in and have Nakamba as cover in that position.

• Like 2

He doesn’t run with the ball or beat a man, he seems to want an age to pick a simple pass, doesn’t contribute to set pieces or many crosses. He’s a serviceable No. 6 but definitely not a No. 8 for me. I would probably let him go this summer on the basis if he was going to be a big player for us he would have shown it by now, but he still seems to frustrate a lot of time.

1 hour ago, Keener window-cleaner said:

Now we have tried him in the no 8 position a couple of games and I think it's sae to say that he wont cut it there. He is too slow and doesn't carry enough attacking threat to play there. I think we should break the bank to get a new defensive midfielder, if so I'm not sure he will be happy as cover, perhaps the best is to cash in and have Nakamba as cover in that position.

2 games is the judgement point now and one he was moved position after an hour and even scored.

Grealish for example struggled in his first 6 or 7 games after promotion 

Edited by Zatman
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, Zatman said:

2 games is the judgement point now and one he was moved position after an hour and even scored.

Grealish for example struggled in his first 6 or 7 games after promotion 

He was very very good against Liverpool and Burnely. He wasn’t great today but all of the midfield was poor. I really hope we keep him and he competes with McGinn and Ramsey for the 8 role. 

• Like 1

His skillset doesn't suit playing as a eight whatsoever, McGinn, Ramsey, and even Sanson are all better suited to the No.8 role than he is, I'd even say the same for Chukwuemeka and Iroegbunam.

There's a reason he's played most of his career as a No.6, that's because that's his position and where the coaches who watch him day in and day out choose to play him, people talk about dinosaur managers, but then just because Luiz is decent on the ball think he can't possibly be a DM and has to play further forward, sounds like something Steve Bruce would think.

Also Grealish struggled when we first came up because he was being played out of position in central midfield, it was when he moved back to his proper position wide left that he improved.

1 hour ago, useless said:

His skillset doesn't suit playing as a eight whatsoever, McGinn, Ramsey, and even Sanson are all better suited to the No.8 role than he is, I'd even say the same for Chukwuemeka and Iroegbunam.

There's a reason he's played most of his career as a No.6, that's because that's his position and where the coaches who watch him day in and day out choose to play him, people talk about dinosaur managers, but then just because Luiz is decent on the ball think he can't possibly be a DM and has to play further forward, sounds like something Steve Bruce would think.

Also Grealish struggled when we first came up because he was being played out of position in central midfield, it was when he moved back to his proper position wide left that he improved.

Grealish was fantastic in CM for us. To say LW is his 'proper position' is debatable for me. Also, his 'struggles' are probably overexagerrated generally, but I think to put them purely down to the position he was playing is wrong.

Also, I completely disagree that McGinn is better suited to the 8 role than Douglas. McGinn can't play in tight spaces. Looking for the ball over the top more often than not is not what an 8 should be doing. They should be linking play and building a good offensive situation. Douglas can do that.

Edited by Tom13

This will divide opinion and I expect pelters, but I'm going to come out and say it. We're going nowhere with this guy in our Starting XI as either a 6 or an 8. 
I think he's had it tough here, being asked to play as a defensive midfielder when he clearly wants to play further forward but I don't see what he'd bring playing further forward that would help us push into Europe. 

His main attribute is his passing and his touch. He is very neat and tidy but not a lot else I'm afraid. He doesn't have the pace, physique or skill to take us to the next level.

I'm happy having him around as a squad player in the hope he proves me wrong as he has age on his side, but I'm firmly of the opinion that he needs to be replaced this Summer along with Mcginn and Nakamba in our midfield. Only Ramsey should be 'guaranteed' a starting slot in our midfield next year. 

Drops between centre backs unopposed to play passes my nan could make. Literally pointless.

Westwood had more intent to his game

Not got a clue what happened to him . Just once just one I'd like to see a switch of play or for him to find a wide player high up the pitch.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, rodders0223 said:

Drops between centre backs unopposed to play passes my nan could make. Literally pointless.

Westwood had more intent to his game

Not got a clue what happened to him . Just once just one I'd like to see a switch of play or for him to find a wide player high up the pitch.

Thought the same too.

Said it before...drops too deep....doesnt show in the middle.

Especially as we play three.

Would love to see him make an angle for a pass from the back and get on the half turn...drive forward....but can't see it

Â