Douglas Luiz

LondonLax

11 hours ago, OutByEaster? said:

Weirdly I think that's Ramsey's weakness - he's strong and brilliant at running at people with the ball and running off it - but he sometimes turns into trouble and loses the ball.

Ball retention is Luiz strength - I think that's there in the way we use him - he's the player that transitions us from defence to attack and he's very good at that. 

I actually think you're both right/wrong :D.  Luiz and Ramsey seem to be our best passers in terms of those balls which are played into feet from approx. 10 yards in our half/on the halfway up to Coutinho's sort of position, when they have time around them.  When under pressure, they both seem to try and do too much to get out of the position and end up losing the ball with some regularity (and often in more dangerous positions).

By comparison, McGinn much worse at the ball into feet-when-running stuff and generally plays a lot more risky passes - likely giving him worse "pass completion" stats - but is actually our best midfielder at being under pressure and manoeuvring the ball to a teammate.

They all work pretty well together.  My criticism of Luiz has been - and continues to be - that he tries too much on the ball in dangerous areas and it often leads to the opposition breaking against us.  I think this is partly an issue as he isn't a particularly quick player so recovering isn't a strong point of his.  His positional awareness is really good, though, and he breaks up a fair amount of attacks by intercepting the ball rather than being that aggressive in the tackle (again, I think McGinn is our best midfielder for tackling - but it's in a very different area of the pitch).

1 hour ago, AntrimBlack said:

He is a very good player doing an excellent job in a tricky position. And still young.

I think we all, and I include myself, are too critical of him. 

We really need to keep him.

I'd be happy to keep him but the fact his not signed a new deal tells me he is looking to see what options he has in the summer. Hopefully when Nakamba is fit we might see a bit more of him in the no 8 position rather than as a 6 but i'm fully expecting him to leave in the summer. 

2 hours ago, AntrimBlack said:

He is a very good player doing an excellent job in a tricky position. And still young.

I think we all, and I include myself, are too critical of him. 

We really need to keep him.

Keep him, yes......but not as a No6

Ironically, he does the job, other than perhaps Nakamba, better than anyone else in the squad.

but there lies the problem of imbalance....too many wingers, not enough defensive nous in midfield.

14 hours ago, OutByEaster? said:

Weirdly I think that's Ramsey's weakness - he's strong and brilliant at running at people with the ball and running off it - but he sometimes turns into trouble and loses the ball.

Ball retention is Luiz strength - I think that's there in the way we use him - he's the player that transitions us from defence to attack and he's very good at that.

Exactly this.

18 hours ago, OutByEaster? said:

And until we get someone who's better at him than that, I wouldn't even begin to entertain replacing him.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, TRO said:

but they all do it, its part of the format......we do too.

its not what I am talking about....I am relating to stats...and passive passing.

Excuse my ignorance You’re going to have to explain what you mean by passive passing? 

For me any accurate pass which doesn’t put a teammate in trouble is a good pass as it means we keep possession and the opposition can’t score if we’ve got the ball. (Unless we score an own goal lol).

1 hour ago, Sulberto21 said:

Excuse my ignorance You’re going to have to explain what you mean by passive passing? 

For me any accurate pass which doesn’t put a teammate in trouble is a good pass as it means we keep possession and the opposition can’t score if we’ve got the ball. (Unless we score an own goal lol).

Excuse my descriptions, but I thought you might get my point.....I was merely questioning the stats on passing.

A pass for the sake of it.....a sideways pass, with no feasible reasoningor intention.....A nondescript pass.

I'm pretty sure you've seen them......of course it happens now and again, but is some cases it happens too often with the same players......passing takes courage of not giving it away, and the better players hurt teams with it.

I was merely addressing the stats recognition, and some passes are of little consequence and done often enough, and in an area of low concern,can boost a players passing stats, while insinuating a good passer of the ball.

as an example.....you could score 20 goals in a season from penalties.....hardly a stat that would describe your prowess at goal scoring is it?

• Thanks 1

Thomas showed how to play that role today.

He doesnt play the ball quick enough. Hes not the only one to be fair, but he is not a DCM.

I would have brought Tim on today to have a look at him against this kind of opposition.

They were not that good by the way

• Like 1

Â