Douglas Luiz

LondonLax

1 minute ago, TRO said:

What is rarely discussed is the elements of the game that still remain the same and have done throught the time of football.

I've seen you fighting to shine the light for some time, and I agree that there are principles and aspects of play that will never become redundant and are fundamental to individual and team competitiveness. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, TRO said:

well, if you don't, you've wasted a lot of money.

I think fans who have watched the game, most of their life, i.e 30/40 years......are under estimated in their opinions of the game, in some quarters....sure we can vary, as to what we focus on,

but by and large, discerning fans, know their onions.

The English game of 25+ years ago is so irrelevant to the modern Premier League that all that really matters is how much football you’ve watched over the last 2 or 3 decades… and even then, watching something is not the same as understanding it.

I’ve watched loads of movies and I’d have no idea how to make one

”I’m older than you kiddo” is a shit (and boring) argument anyway.

• Like 3

And btw, nobody's denying this team needs a more dominant, aggressive midfielder in the squad.

And nobody's saying Douglas Luiz is world class, so it's just a straw man argument to say that people defending him don't know their onions, and don't know what a top midfielder looks like.

Of course if we swapped him out for Jorginho or Declan Rice or whoever we would be a better side. Realistically we aren't going to sign anyone like that soon, so it's more about how he fits in vs. McGinn, Ramsey, Sanson and players we've been realistically linked with like Bissouma. IMO Douglas Luiz still gets in that side, and definitely isn't the reason we struggle against better sides at the moment. We're missing a key type of player in our squad, that's the problem - it's not on him.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, KentVillan said:

The English game of 25+ years ago is so irrelevant to the modern Premier League that all that really matters is how much football you’ve watched over the last 2 or 3 decades… and even then, watching something is not the same as understanding it.

I’ve watched loads of movies and I’d have no idea how to make one

I’m older than you kiddo” is a shit (and boring) argument anyway.

If thats what you think, it's pointless progressing the argument?....your barking up the wrong tree.....If you're suggesting I am progressing the "I know more than you" insinuation.....you have misread me, completely. I am not in a position to judge other folks knowledge on the game, to suggest otherwise, is rude.

The modern game has differences granted, but it also harbours many things of the past, if you care to look for them.....blimey the line up in the world cup final of 1966 was 4-1-3-2 or 4-4-2 with a diamond depending how you view it......and that was 56 years ago, still playing with a holding midfielder....This moden game malarkey, is over played...sure its faster, but you make out its some radical change.

by the way,You don't have to know how to make a movie, to understand the film, that's a grossly absurd analogy.......equally does a station master know more than a train spotter, when it comes to identifying trains.?....open your eyes, man.

The point you are peddling, is utter nonsense......do you not think the likes of Roy Hodgson has evolved with the game, the same way as senior spectators have, was Neil Warnock baffled by the so called complexities you allude to?until his recent retirement....it had certain differences when they first started out, just like some things still remain the same.

Edited by TRO
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Shame that it seems Stevie G doesn’t seem to have a problem with him leaving - hope we get £25-30m otherwise we’ve shot ourselves in the foot not keeping him.

23 years old, Brazilian full international, Olympic Gold medalist, highly rated. I may be wrong but I think he’s younger than Keinan.

We really need to keep him IMO

Edited by samjp26
  • Like 4

2 hours ago, samjp26 said:

Shame that it seems Stevie G doesn’t seem to have a problem with him leaving - hope we get £25-30m otherwise we’ve shot ourselves in the foot not keeping him.

23 years old, Brazilian full international, Olympic Gold medalist, highly rated. I may be wrong but I think he’s younger than Keinan.

How have you arrived at that conclusion? 

3 hours ago, samjp26 said:

It’s just media talk, there’s been nothing concrete. I think it’s come from the Phillips rumours, and Phillips isn’t even Dougs replacement 

7 minutes ago, IrishVilla10 said:

It’s just media talk, there’s been nothing concrete. I think it’s come from the Phillips rumours, and Phillips isn’t even Dougs replacement 

I think people are more concerned has been no talk of any new contract 

3 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

Playing him every week

Blatantly doesn't rate him 

Saying in interviews how highly he rates him while playing him in every game

It's Crystal Clear he doesn't rate him

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Zatman said:

I think people are more concerned has been no talk of any new contract 

If media reports are to be believed, we've opened discussions but no progress has been made. The lack of progress isn't necessarily our fault I guess. 

1 minute ago, Dale said:

Not sure on what basis McGinn and Ramsey have been struggling a great deal more

And both were on international duty. Luiz was our best midfielder in recent weeks 

Probably only Cash and Mings have been better 

1 minute ago, A'Villan said:

With an assured standing in the league it is possible that players who deserve a chance to impress are getting just that.

Exactly, we know what Luiz can do and there is a fair chance he’s not going to be here next season. 

Â