Mahmoud 'Trézéguet' Hassan

Demitri_C

He wasn't a bad player for us at all really. That was the shopping area we were forced to go in our first year back due to the FFP. Always worked hard and scored a few good goals but lacked the quality to really help us kick on. We will get some of the money back if we sell him. I don't have any bad will to him at all.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Steero113 said:

Yes, I understand the concept of opinions. 

On this occasion stating that Trezeguet (the very same who is responsible for our club being in this league) is on a par with such titans as Jordan Bowery, Habib Beye, and "big" Bosko Balaban gives me the right to say you are quite definitely wide of the mark.

He isn't responsible for us being in the league. He played a part. As did many others. 

And, I said one of the worst. So he would be in good company with Messrs Bowery, Beye and Balaban. (Loving your alliteration).

• Like 2

19 hours ago, Don_Simon said:

Or, maybe, just maybe, we have different opinions and my eyes work just fine. 

Its possible.

Maybe one eye is wonky and the other fine allowing for a different perspective depending on where you stand ?

• Haha 1

10 hours ago, Don_Simon said:

He isn't responsible for us being in the league. He played a part. As did many others. 

And, I said one of the worst. So he would be in good company with Messrs Bowery, Beye and Balaban. (Loving your alliteration).

Bowery Beye and Balaban were junk who caused us more problems on the pitch than not.

Trezeguet whilst not the most talented contributed to our staying up and then was a vital part of our best start to a premier league season in years. 

Beye Bowery and Balaban didn’t do that now did they? 

• Like 1

Trez is in the Franz Carr territory for me. 

Clearly hasn't done enough to be rated in our 'Best Ever XI' type debates. 

But a cult figure for the SF winning goal and the Palarse and Arsenal goals when we needed it most. For impact, he probably tops a list that would include Carr and Hutton (I know the Scottish Cafu was with us eight years, but it was only at the back end of his stint with us that he became revered). 

Wish Trez all the best and will follow what he does in future. 

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

I actually though Trez had found his feet in the league until that horrible injury. He even hit the post in that game and should have had a penalty.   Hadn’t be come on against Fulham and changed the game a few weeks earlier?

Since his return he really struggled.  Not good enough for us but to suggest he is one our worst ever signings along with the B’s is frankly ridiculous. Imo of course.

Edited by Vive_La_Villa
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

I actually though Trez had found his feet in the league until that horrible injury. He even hit the post in that game and should have had a penalty.   Hadn’t be come on against Fulham and changed the game a few weeks earlier?

Since his return he really struggled.  Not good enough for us but to suggest he is one our worst ever signings along with the B’s is frankly ridiculous. Imo of course.

Look there are always going to be sets of our fans who just have ridiculous opinions where essentially all bar a couple of their fav players are all terrible or useless etc. From our promotion signings Jota, Samatta and Engles were worse signings. None were remotely good enough for the Premier League. 

24 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

He was bought as part of getting us from a relegation candidate to a stable mid table team

In his time here he actually did that

Him being moved on as we got better always looked part of the plan, you can't buy CL ready players when you finished 17th in your first season back in the league, he was part of the ladder

I think replacing him was what helped us to stop being a relegation candidate!

2 minutes ago, Rolta said:

I think replacing him was what helped us to stop being a relegation candidate!

put it the other way then, he was bought in to keep us up and we stayed up

either way he served his purpose, he was a body who we needed to take a couple of steps and we took them and now we don't need him anymore, he was a gap filler that ultimately worked 

people can say he wasnt good enough but he kinda was, he was good enough for what we needed in that moment 

• Like 2

Weirdly I have more affection for Trez than Targett at this stage. Not even sure why - maybe because he was clearly all in (including the diving which I hate) and was key to us staying up.

Isn't good enough for us but wish him all the best.

5 minutes ago, Pissflaps said:

He helped us stay up with some huge goals. He never said a bad word about the club. He always gave 100% effort. Was he the technically best player? No. But for what he returned for what we paid for him he was a bargain. 

The disrespect and hate for him on here by some is incredible and actually disappointing. 

If he goes I wish him nothing but success 

Agree with this, we will forever be massively indebted for those 3 goals at the end of the 19/20 season and he's been a true advocate of Aston Villa. 

Good luck Trez wherever you go on to. 

• Like 1

Wish him all the best, wherever he ends up. As others have said, he scored some vital goals and was a huge part of keeping us up. Sure, there were times he made football look incredibly difficult, but you could say that about most who've worn the shirt over the last 20 years. Definitely not in the list of "worst ever signings" for me. 

All I ask for all our players, is to learn Trez’s work ethic. He’s absolutely rubbish at this level, but despite his limitations  he worked his tits off and ground out some decent performances. Also gained much needed goals.    

He may of done one rubbish dive, but I like him, he’s a good egg. 

I wish him all the best. 

Edited by CarryOnVilla
  • Like 2

8 minutes ago, Steero113 said:

Agree with this, we will forever be massively indebted for those 3 goals at the end of the 19/20 season and he's been a true advocate of Aston Villa. 

Good luck Trez wherever you go on to. 

It's a bit ridiculous how much stick he gets,  but also he is a bit of a ridiculous player.

It's clear he isn't a technically good footballer. But I'm not sure there is anyone else in our squad that could have scored those chances he put away the back end of that season.  He seems so oblivious to his limitations that he backs himself every time. Times his arrivals at the back post to perfection and was critical to us surviving.

I'll miss him a bit when he's gone, but glad we've gone beyond the stage where we need to rely on someone like him. 

Â