Matt Targett

villan-scott

Gabby has just asked Targett in an interview live on air on Talk Sport why he went to Newcastle. Said he was pretty much the only LB last year at Villa and knew club wanted to sign one. He was surprised when we then signed Digne and said he didn’t want to sit on the bench. Wants to play as many premier league games as he can given his age. Not surprising but sounds like Howe asked him for a few pointers for the match with us.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Therailboy said:

Gabby has just asked Targett in an interview live on air on Talk Sport why he went to Newcastle. Said he was pretty much the only LB last year at Villa and knew club wanted to sign one. He was surprised when we then signed Digne and said he didn’t want to sit on the bench. Wants to play as many premier league games as he can given his age. Not surprising but sounds like Howe asked him for a few pointers for the match with us.

The exact reason he was right to be shipped out (although maybe not to strengthen Newcastle), weak mind mentality.  PLayers should want to fight for their place in the starting XI, not give up the first opportunity they get.  

• Like 3

14 minutes ago, duke313 said:

The exact reason he was right to be shipped out (although maybe not to strengthen Newcastle), weak mind mentality.  PLayers should want to fight for their place in the starting XI, not give up the first opportunity they get.  

This is wrong, it was wrong to spend nearly 30 million on a new left back, but whilst still having a mid - lower prem left back in our squad, we will play 40 games this year. We don’t need 2 first team LB’s

If we signed Hickey, Targett would not have left.

• Like 3

42 minutes ago, duke313 said:

I am more than happy to see him gone in the summer. Disgusting attitude. No wonder Gerrard let him go out on loan. Fight for the shirt. 

• Like 1

Matt Targett situation just makes me believe more that there's too many in the starting line up that are just too comfortable. I get Targett wants to play football, his had no competition at LB for 2 and a half years at the club, we finally get another LB and at the very first attempt he has left on loan with no desire to fight for his place. Feel like there's a few more of these in the squad.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, RichW said:

Matt Targett situation just makes me believe more that there's too many in the starting line up that are just too comfortable. I get Targett wants to play football, his had no competition at LB for 2 and a half years at the club, we finally get another LB and at the very first attempt he has left on loan with no desire to fight for his place. Feel like there's a few more of these in the squad.

Personally I think it was more the role he was asked to play. Stevie G wants the full backs to provide the attacking width. Targett isn't suited to that role - he's more of a traditional full back .

1 hour ago, MellbergsBeard said:

If we signed Hickey, Targett would not have left.

How can you possibly know that. What if we had signed Hickey and he became first choice straight away? Targett could easily have left then as well. 

Edited by mikeyp102

I can understand it. Realistically he can fight for his place all he wants but he isn’t gonna displace a £25m player who’s amongst the top 5 left back in the league is he?

If he did stay, never play and just pick up his wage every month then he’d be accused of leeching the club just like the likes of Gabby and Richards have been in the past.

• Like 3

Really disappointing, I didn't want to believe he really just decided immediately that he was going. But seems that way. Think he'd have been alright enough till the summer had we signed Hickey. But saw a name like Digne and bolted. Disappointing even if I can understand and respect he wants to play football. To throw the towel in immediately is a shame

Still think we should've held him for 6 months. 

Edited by HalfTimePost

1 hour ago, Therailboy said:

Neil Taylor – Wikipedia

• Haha 2

39 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

I don't mind that, sounds like he knows Digne is the better footballer and he wasn't going to play, this whole stay and fight stuff I don't believe it personally, Targett wasn't going to work harder in training get better and usurp him, he'd have got minutes after a Digne injury

I think he's been very realistic and the clubs been good to let him go, the shit part is it's a loan to Newcastle, other than that I've got no issues with any of it 

Bang on the money.

No problem with his attitude. Some of the abuse he received from Villa fans in the United game online was disgusting 

Its clear the manager doesn't want him so why waste time sitting on the bench. The way its going his new team might even finish above us 🤮

Â